Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debt collection

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

Larceny is now gone as a common law offence.
    When was it ever a common law offence?

Predalien wrote: »
    You might want to read the thread again.

For what purpose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

It never stopped the DPP referring to it as being contrary to common law. I have seen that on many summonses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larceny

Republic of Ireland
    The common law offence of larceny was abolished on 1 August 2002.However, proceedings for larceny committed before its abolition are not affected by this.

It never stopped the DPP referring to it as being contrary to common law. I have seen that on many summonses.
    Summonses are issued by the District Court Clerk or District Court Judge, not the DPP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They are written by the DPP/Gardaí. The court is a mere rubberstamp.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

They are written by the DPP/Gardaí. The court is a mere rubberstamp.

That is very insulting to the Court!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ResearchWill

From the Criminal Justice (Theft and Fraud Offences) Act 2001

3.—(1) Subject to section 65 , the Acts specified in Schedule 1 are Repeals, etc. repealed to the extent specified in the third column of that Schedule.

(2) Any offence at common law of larceny, burglary, robbery, cheating (except in relation to the public revenue), extortion under colour of office and forgery is abolished.

(3) The abolition of a common law offence mentioned in subsection (2) shall not affect proceedings for any such offence committed before its abolition.

Summonses are issued by the District Court Clerk or District Court Judge, not the DPP.

And who do you think drafts the summons, and the wording to be used, for that summons to be issued by the DC or DJ.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Jo King

Marcusm wrote: »
    Nope, fully agree that it is. I was questioning Jo King's assertion (which i inferred from the quoted post) that without a specific Law outlawing rape it would be legal. In the broader context of Jo King's longer post, I inferred that h e/she believed rape only to be outlawed by act of parliament (although this was not explicitly stated).

I never said any such thing. How something comes to be an offence is not relevant. Unless there is a recognised offence with which someone can be charged then a person can do what they like.

• Advertisement

For what purpose?

Because if you read the thread from the start you will see the context of the postings by Marscum, it is clear from his postings that he and for that matter I believed that Jo King stating that Rape was only an offence under Statute Law. Then Marscum stated that what about common law. When you agreed with his statment. I stated i think ye agreed on the position being put forward by you. Then you told me to mind my own business. Then Marscum explained what he believed Jo King was saying. It seems you may have got the wrong end of the stick, insteed of looking back to get the full context, you have decided to dig away.

Jo King wrote: »
    I never said any such thing. How something comes to be an offence is not relevant. Unless there is a recognised offence with which someone can be charged then a person can do what they like.

As I also misunderstood you'r posting, now that it is clarified, thanks for the clarification.

As I also misunderstood you'r posting, now that it is clarified, thanks for the clarification.

If there is anyone doing any re-reading it should be you!

If there is anyone doing any re-reading it should be you!

No the posting of Jo King could easly be interpeted as saying what I and onother poster believed, based on what went in the thread before. I was quite happy to say i misunderstood the posting by Jo King, and said so.

On the other hand you miss read Marscum's posting, even after he clarified what he said, you will not accept that your statement and his said exactly the same thing. So you are now going around in circles instead of doing as I did and say to the poster, misunderstood what you mean, thanks for clarification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭Orrid

Big time thread drift. This is a thread on debt collection not the history of law relating to serious sexual assault.

Advertisement