Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BATTLEFIELD 3 BETA a disaster?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Dcully wrote: »

People having opinions about games is fine, they like or dislike but what ive quoted from you is totally false and misinformation.

Well I must admit there is a minor issue with my RAM where it will sometimes only detect 4 out of 6gb (long story) but im getting sorted this month. The game runs fine and im using high settings, but a DC or CTD gives the computer a heart attack.
    Korvanica wrote: »
    ? Played for about 5 hours yesterday and constantly won when attacking...
    Must have been your team.. Or the enemy team were too good.

Interesting, but it wouldn't have anything to do with team balance since the team change roles at the end of the round. Vast majority of my games resulted in the attackers getting to the second/third bomb objectives and not getting any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

Seifer wrote: »
    Unless I'm mistaken, shift+f1 brings up Origin in game. Which begs the question of why have two programs doing the job of one?

what are the two programs doing the same job?
    if your refering to steam, then thats an issue dice and steam will need to resolve, but it wont concern me(or a lot of people for that matter who have already pre ordered from origin), as I wont be buying from steam.
    I hope they dont release it on steam,
    I seen someone mention they would like to be able to play with friends from steam also, and they can through origin, and battlelog.

and if your refering to the fact that you already have battlelog open outside the game, thats alright too as origin in game, would mainly be used to check stats, or talk to friends. when you come out of the game, origin in game wont be used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Terribly over hyped game anyway. The bf series never had (or needed) substance, but there really is no "character" in this title. The trailers scream of thrills and pounding excitement, but I never really got a proper buzz at any stage.

I have enjoyed how many folks have handicapped the disconnected feeling we've experienced with it being a beta . Eg . "DUH! It's a BETA noob, release game will be mind blowing when everything is fixed!"
    It really shows a heft of faith, that's about all I can say.

Other than the desperately disappointing feeling it gave me, it really made me appreciate the genius of titles like gears 3 and rekindled my excitement for modern warfare 3, can't go wrong :)

Bold:
    So you can draw all that from the beta and the small amount of footage youve seen on the net, has it occured to you on any level, that the mother of game offs is coming over the next few months
    you've got two brands holding back on story lines and plots why because no ones giving anything away
    which is the way game releases should be I remember when i had a master system only place we'd hear about games was in a magzine,

for most people who post that crap you've no idea your born when it comes to gaming content and pre release teasers .... :rolleyes:

I dont know about you but holding a position on metro was brilliant at really enjoyed the map there harder to lock down and control just like most battle feild 2 in that respects.

Italics:
    so let me get this straight you from one beta level on a game have that much for sight... oooo wait judging bye your mw3 whats a matter are you not use to levels being that big ahhhhh bless

ok so you like cod well go play with the screaming princes syndrome kids and the campers Il drop bye own the levels for an hour and then go back to bf 3 :cool:

ps I used to play cod but two things got boreing level size and manogamy at least with bf i get to run over people :D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

ps I used to play cod but two things got boreing level size and manogamy at least with bf i get to run over people :D:D:D:D:D

monotony?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

sink wrote: »
    Why is better when you're only changing the user interface? When you exit a map in BC2 you change to the in-game server browser interface, when you exit a map in BF3 you exit to the battlelog desktop interface, both only take seconds. It takes about the same time to load a BC2 map from the in-game browser as a BF3 map from the desktop. There is nothing inherently better about in-game server browser and a desktop based server browser.
    Because the game is in memory when you're launching from within the game.
    From the battlelog user interface you have a wider range of options, you can even use other desktop programs and view other websites in between maps. You can also view the battlelog from other computers without the game installed. I would log into the battlelog at work to have a look at what's happening chat with friends and in the forums and view unlocks/stats.
    This has all been done before and is not my problem with the service.
    Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    what are the two programs doing the same job?
    Origin and Battlelog. Both have friends lists (which don't sync up for some reason) to allow you to communicate with your fellow players.
    and if your refering to the fact that you already have battlelog open outside the game, thats alright too as origin in game, would mainly be used to check stats, or talk to friends. when you come out of the game, origin in game wont be used.
    I think you are confusing the two here. Origin is the one that allows ingame communication. Battlelog's chat client seems more similar to say a gmail chat session.

• Advertisement

No it's not, the majority of the game files which take up the vast majority of memory and hence take longest to load e.g. textures, are not loaded until you load the map. What programs sometimes do is they reserve a block of memory when they first load up but this memory is not actually used until it loads a map.

I can time it if you wish but there is no noticeable difference between BC2 and BF3 (well I can't now as the beta has ended).

No it's not, the majority of the game files which take up the vast majority of memory and hence take longest to load e.g. textures, are not loaded until you load the map. What programs sometimes do is they reserve a block of memory when they first load up but this memory is not actually used until it loads a map.

I can time it if you wish but there is no noticeable difference between BC2 and BF3 (well I can't now as the beta has ended).

I didn't know they used the same engine?

The majority is not all though is it? I imagine there are files it can load that will need to be loaded regardless of which map is played.

And tbh even if the load times were exactly the same; I've launched the game because I want to play the game. So put me in the game, don't launch my browser. All the social stuff can be kept exactly as is but server browser belongs in the game imo.

This has all been done before and is not my problem with the service.

Origin and Battlelog. Both have friends lists (which don't sync up for some reason) to allow you to communicate with your fellow players.

I think you are confusing the two here. Origin is the one that allows ingame communication. Battlelog's chat client seems more similar to say a gmail chat session.

wait until the game comes out, and see if they look at the aspect of origin and battlelog friends lists being used together.

wait until the game comes out, and see if they look at the aspect of origin and battlelog friends lists being used together.
    Well I hope they do if they continue down this bizarre road but this is a thread about the beta so I can only comment on what they presented to us.

I didn't know they used the same engine?

The majority is not all though is it? I imagine there are files it can load that will need to be loaded regardless of which map is played.

Files of insignificant size maybe but they'll only have an insignificant impact.
    And tbh even if the load times were exactly the same; I've launched the game because I want to play the game. So put me in the game, don't launch my browser. All the social stuff can be kept exactly as is but server browser belongs in the game imo.

So there are no objective measurements you can make to say in-game is better than launching from the desktop, it's down to personal preference of which everyone will have their own. Fair enough, I'd rather have the added features of battlelog thank you very much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Well I got a good 14/15 hours of beta time on 360, had plenty of glitches, lockups and changes I didn't like but still pre-ordered the limited edition last night so far from a disaster for me. :)

I've launched the game because I want to play the game. So put me in the game, don't launch my browser. All the social stuff can be kept exactly as is but server browser belongs in the game imo.

why are you complaining about battlefield 3 so?

every game you launch brings up a menu,
    MW2, Black ops, battlefield 2, 2142, and bad company 2 all showed "social stuff" in the menu, where you could look at your stats and friends stats and what not.

you then had to click join server to get into a game.

why is it that only now its a problem that you are presented with another menu where you still need to click join server, when the only difference is its based in your browser, instead of in the game.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Took god damn ages to get into some servers on PC every day. Completely packed.

Great game though. I'm confident the current bugs will be ironed out. Can't wait for release now.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Really disheartened by BF3 and hugely disappointed with it..It seems to be COD based with vehicles thrown in to keep previous Battlefield vets happy while heavily leaning towards enticing the COD fans...
    Jets/Choppers are a complete and utter disaster on it and would require a huge code rewrite to fix which EA won't bother doing (J10's in BF2 a prime example).
    I'be been playing since BF1942 and for me this looks to be the worst out of all of them and I really can't see myself playing this too much.
    You can see a lot of the fans are saying to give it a chance, EA will patch this and patch that...however from prior experience with each patch EA/Dice will steadily make the game even worse not better...
    For me I think this is really the death of Battlefield on PC...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

Thanks for all the replies, I see now that it wasn't a disaster, just not that many people on the PS3 when I was playing.

I really need help with this:

Today, I went into GameStop in Ballina where I pre-ordered BATTLEFIELD 3 since the start of June, and I knew that I was getting the 'Back to Karkand' limited edition version, but I only noticed today that it said on the front of the shop for BATTLEFIELD 3.

" Any pre-orders on BATTLEFIELD 3 will get the Specact Kit FREE! when released on the October 28th"

Any ways, I went in and asked someone at the counter asking was it not the 'Back to Karkand' limited edition version, and they said yes, and you get the 'Specact Kit' as well, but you might not be able to get it on the release date of October 28th, you may have to wait two weeks or so. Just to be sure before I left, I asked if I could get the game on the release date, and he said yes.

?????

I know that this is OFF-TOPIC, but if anyone know anything that will help me, please let me know.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

specact kit are just skins for the soldiers (going by bc2 memory they had a similar offer) its seperate to the back to karkand pack

Thanks for all the replies, I see now that it wasn't a disaster, just not that many people on the PS3 when I was playing.

I really need help with this:

Today, I went into GameStop in Ballina where I pre-ordered BATTLEFIELD 3 since the start of June, and I knew that I was getting the 'Back to Karkand' limited edition version, but I only noticed today that it said on the front of the shop for BATTLEFIELD 3.

" Any pre-orders on BATTLEFIELD 3 will get the Specact Kit FREE! when released on the October 28th"

Any ways, I went in and asked someone at the counter asking was it not the 'Back to Karkand' limited edition version, and they said yes, and you get the 'Specact Kit' as well, but you might not be able to get it on the release date of October 28th, you may have to wait two weeks or so. Just to be sure before I left, I asked if I could get the game on the release date, and he said yes.

?????

I know that this is OFF-TOPIC, but if anyone know anything that will help me, please let me know.

Thanks.

AFAIK the back to karkand expansion will be released sometime in weeks/months after the release of the game. Everyone will have access to it at the same time but those who pre-ordered the game will get the expansion free and everyone else will have to pay.

The retailer specific DLC e.g. specact kit or physical warfare pack, will be available to those with the unlock codes from day 1, everyone else will get them free down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭iColdFusion

Thats weird because I pre-ordered from gamestop.ie to get the physical warfare pack, no mention of specact.

Files of insignificant size maybe but they'll only have an insignificant impact.

So there are no objective measurements you can make to say in-game is better than launching from the desktop, it's down to personal preference of which everyone will have their own. Fair enough, I'd rather have the added features of battlelog thank you very much.
    There are no added features. In any Steam game I can see all the stats and crap of myself and friends. And I already conceded that the stats are not an issue. Battlelog can still exist without forcing me to relaunch my game every time I want to change a server. It's not a feature it's a regression.
    why are you complaining about battlefield 3 so?
    I'm not.
    every game you launch brings up a menu
    Every game you launch launches the game except BF3 apparently.
    MW2, Black ops, battlefield 2, 2142, and bad company 2 all showed "social stuff" in the menu, where you could look at your stats and friends stats and what not.
    Of the games listed I've only played MW2 and it showed your stats in game. I'm not against stats, I like them and I don't really care whether they are in game or not. Although the way modern warfare handled it makes the most sense to me since you want to see what you need to do for unlocks and stuff before you join a game.
    you then had to click join server to get into a game.
    No, the game has launched, I click join server to join a server.
    why is it that only now its a problem that you are presented with another menu where you still need to click join server, when the only difference is its based in your browser, instead of in the game.
    Because what is the point of the extra layer? It adds no functionality. Why take things out of the game and put them in my browser?
    From a software design perspective I just don't understand how logical developers could think is in anyway a good solution.

There are no added features. In any Steam game I can see all the stats and crap of myself and friends. And I already conceded that the stats are not an issue. Battlelog can still exist without forcing me to relaunch my game every time I want to change a server. It's not a feature it's a regression.

I'm not.

Every game you launch launches the game except BF3 apparently.

Of the games listed I've only played MW2 and it showed your stats in game. I'm not against stats, I like them and I don't really care whether they are in game or not. Although the way modern warfare handled it makes the most sense to me since you want to see what you need to do for unlocks and stuff before you join a game.

Battlelog shows what you need to do to unlock the next weapon addon, which in this game seems to be just kill people.
    No, the game has launched, I click join server to join a server.

The best way to consider it is that battlelog is the launched game.
    all you need to do is find a server and join it, like any other game. The only difference is the system resources arent being used up until you start shooting people.
    Because what is the point of the extra layer? It adds no functionality. Why take things out of the game and put them in my browser?
    From a software design perspective I just don't understand how logical developers could think is in anyway a good solution.

I think i understand where your coming from, and to be honest, i see no reason not to like it. There is no extra layer. and it is a lot faster to play the game with battlelog, that the conventional means.

There is no developer ads like it all games. when you click the game icon, the browser opens the page(no different that when any other game launches normally, except faster), and then when you find a server, it launches the game in the background straight into the server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭KilOit

Sc@recrow wrote: »
    Jets/Choppers are a complete and utter disaster on it and would require a huge code rewrite to fix which EA won't bother doing (J10's in BF2 a prime example).

Have you seen what a choppers gunner does to a tank? guess not.
    also for jets look at what guided missiles can do

Far from disaster, just takes some good handling, can guarantee their will be whining on forums about them being to op on release when people get unlocks for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

i was a 1000 points off unlocking guided missiles when the beta ended :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭.K.A.L.I.M.A.

KilOit wrote: »

Far from disaster, just takes some good handling, can guarantee their will be whining on forums about them being to op on release when people get unlocks for them.

PURE AWESOMENESS.......

• Registered Users Posts: 17,419 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

KilOit wrote: »

I hope you're right dude...really hoping this game turns out ok..:(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

it showed a ping in battlelog for me,
    you prob mean that the ping wouldnt have been right on it, which yeah i understand,
    but ah well, sure the ping couldnt have been that bad if it was a french or uk server.

and im sure there will be irish servers that will be on the go, or servers you prefer to go to.
    It never showed a ping for me. There are usually a few UK servers which had horrificly bad pings, and I often had French or USA servers with lower pings. Also, I'd be interested to see how the web page pings the servers from my location, as opposed to from the web pages server, as the latter is totally useless!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

the_syco wrote: »
    It never showed a ping for me. There are usually a few UK servers which had horrificly bad pings, and I often had French or USA servers with lower pings. Also, I'd be interested to see how the web page pings the servers from my location, as opposed to from the web pages server, as the latter is totally useless!

Javascript? Its client side (i.e your browser) so it would be possible to calculate pings with it. Im not saying thats what does happen though.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/10/10/the-beta-and-battlefield-3/

Joystiq article along the lines of the thread title. The good news is that the release version is supposed to be much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭mozattack

Went back to BC2 yesterday and was bored (first time ever since I bought the game a year ago) so lost to what I am going to do.

Tempted to try Modern Warfare 2 until the 28th. What ya reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

mozattack wrote: »
    Went back to BC2 yesterday and was bored (first time ever since I bought the game a year ago) so lost to what I am going to do.

Tempted to try Modern Warfare 2 until the 28th. What ya reckon?
    Unable to play BC2 after BF3. May play some GTA IV until then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Fnz

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    specact kit are just skins for the soldiers (going by bc2 memory they had a similar offer) its seperate to the back to karkand pack

Doesn't it also allow you to have 2 x kit load-outs for each class?

Advertisement