Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have problems remembering chunks of riveting conversation as you get older?

Options
  • 08-10-2011 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭

So tell me...does your memory get crappier as you get older or are you just not listening to me?

Had a funny situation today with "de fella" today...was having a conversation about LSD...not sure how it came up, but I said to him, "Well I told you about my cousin...that'd turn me off for life!" and he gave me the "what are you talking about?" look and I looked at him with the, "Why the feck am I going out with a man 10 years older than me with obvious signs of seniality again? You can't be for real...I've told you this story 3 times before and each time I was stunned you didn't remember? Maybe you're just not listening to me? Helllooooooo? Anybody there??" look.

The story of my cousin is one of my few interesting stories....long story short, he was arrested off his head one night, put into a police cell, thought his eye was full of spiders, pulled his eyeball out and had to get a glass one and became a Buddhist monk soon after.

I've so few really interesting stories that I was gutted he didn't remember this one.

Then again, I get to tell the same story again and again and I come across super-fascinating every time.

This happens every so often and he'd have no recollection of the conversation...so older AH members, when you hit your late 30s/early 40s, do you find your memory getting shoddier? Do you forget hole chunks of conversation like that?

Please tell me you do or I'll have to trade Grandad in for a flashier, younger model (only half joking).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

Yes, take last night and this morning for example...can't even remember the match...think pulling an all-nighter and drink might have had something to do with it.

Time for bed.

Edit: and I'm not even in the age group you're addressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Huh, you are lucky Eve, I'm going out with a man in his 40s who can't remember telling me his OWN stories. I've had to listen to the same ones countless times as it each telling was the first. Love, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

Yes it does, what seems to be happening to me is I am remembering the macro or the gist well.

But the micro and the details poorly. I wouldn't say its a problem just a nuisance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

................now, why did I come in here?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

why did the chicken cross the road?

worth two in the bush

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Is that you Granny? Get off the feckin internet for God's sake.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Are those my feet?

• Registered Users Posts: 770 ✭✭✭sgb

Went upstairs for something, can't remember what

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Malari wrote: »
    Huh, you are lucky Eve, I'm going out with a man in his 40s who can't remember telling me his OWN stories. I've had to listen to the same ones countless times as it each telling was the first. Love, eh?

This happens as well, I'm afraid. :confused: So what do you do...do you pretend you never heard them or tell him? Because I think if you pretend you never heard them, they might be thinking, "I'm sure I told this story before...why doesn't she remember?" like me today or if you tell them you've heard it before, you sound a bit rude. Rock...me....hard place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭BluesBerry

Wait..... Your cousin pulled his eyeball out????? he is now a buddist monk???

Is this true for reals????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭spider guardian

Well I've no reason to be posting in this thread really, but the content did remind me of a certain line from a certain The Who song...

Eve_Dublin, trade your partner in for a model with better memory, I'm doing the same with a computer next week.

BluesBerry wrote: »
    Wait..... Your cousin pulled his eyeball out????? he is now a buddist monk???

Is this true for reals????

Exactly! It's an unbelievable (and yes...true!) story! How, in the love of sweet spinning inflatable baby jesus in the sky, could someone forget that?

You're going to ask me what I just said in a second, aren't you? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

sgb wrote: »
    Went upstairs for something, can't remember what
    The most common and frequent one of the lot , next to when you return home and stick the key in the front door , then remember two or three things you ment , but forgot to do when you were out ...always just when you just put the key in :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    This happens as well, I'm afraid. :confused: So what do you do...do you pretend you never heard them or tell him? Because I think if you pretend you never heard them, they might be thinking, "I'm sure I told this story before...why doesn't she remember?" like me today or if you tell them you've heard it before, you sound a bit rude. Rock...me....hard place.

No, I remind him I've heard them before, but he just likes telling stories!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

could you repeat the question:confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

My boyfriend reakons i forget a few of our conversations alright.He's just as bad for retelling me things he's already told me though so it evens each other out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Perhaps OP waffles too much and OH is tuning her out?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Sometimes I do but usually good at remembering most of a conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i had a friend who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, who had a cd rack, he always wanted to buy another one,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Your thoughts get louder as you age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

It happens me all the time.I think I need up the amount of ram in my head from 8mb to 8 gig.:)
    I don't know how anyone can remember every thing everyone has said to them.
    I would usually say I'm sure I told you this before but......

My dad would repeat stories and I'd say you told me this before but I don't remember it much.

If you have time to listen then all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Eve; Just wait till he's so bloody deaf ye have to shout ye stories to him.

Actually, the next decade or so will bring about a whole host of, er ..... 'changes'. " Life begins at forty ", it's said?

Sure. They just omit to mention what life begins to do ....!

Your cousin? Stuff of Legend! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,013 ✭✭✭kincsem

So tell me...does your memory get crappier as you get older or are you just not listening to me?

Had a funny situation today with "de fella" today...was having a conversation about LSD...
    Some clues ...
    1. You are a woman talking?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Latchy wrote: »
    The most common and frequent one of the lot , next to when you return home and stick the key in the front door , then remember two or three things you ment , but forgot to do when you were out ...always just when you just put the key in :(

What I get is I leave the house get half way up the road and can't remember closing the front door and I have to go back to check, once I had to go back twice :o

EGAR wrote: »
    Perhaps OP waffles too much and OH is tuning her out?

Definitely tend to waffle alright...but this story....lsd...prison cell....eyeball...pull out...glass eyeball....Buddhism. Even amongst all my waffling, you'd remember this story. The first time I told him he couldn't believe it and turned to his friend to tell him...

kincsem wrote: »
    Some clues ...
    1. You are a woman talking?

I getcha ;) Because I've a massive pair of Devil's Dumplings, he can't concentrate...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

lol@ wimminz who think we actually listen to what they're saying, regardless of how interesting they think it is...

Seriously though, I'd recall that story if anyone ever told me it, but only because it has some good triggers like acid, police cell and glass eyes. Maybe he thinks you're a compulsive liar and it goes in one ear and out the other...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Dodd

Definitely tend to waffle alright...but this story....lsd...prison cell....eyeball...pull out...glass eyeball....Buddhism. Even amongst all my waffling, you'd remember this story. The first time I told him he couldn't believe it and turned to his friend to tell him...

I think most people would remember that for many many years.

But if say a person worked in the fire service and had seen or heard of much worse stuff they might not remember that as it is not as shocking to them as it would be to others.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

I blame broadband and wifi signals. Can't be good for us to have that stuff going through us. Messing up our chakras. Hairs are our aerials. They pick up signals from the cosmos, and transmit them directly into ours brain. Wifi and Broadband prevent that from happening.

Advertisement