Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent travel insurance question

Options
  • 07-10-2011 9:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi there,

I have found myself in an unusual situation which I would really appreciate some advice on.

I moved to London for permanent work at the end of August and spent my first two weeks in temporary accommodation. Following that, I went to New York for 7 weeks training where I am now, where I believe I am covered under the company's travel insurance for business purposes only. I would like to take a trip out of state for the weekend but currently have no travel insurance. I am running into problems buying any because I am unsure of my residency status. I have not lived in the UK for 6 months as insurers seem to require, I am not resident of the US. My mail still gets sent to Ireland, so I am unsure if I can still claim this as my current country of residence?

Can anyone advise me on how I might get insurance for my trip? Are there any insurers who insure travellers / transients specifically? Or is it possible for me to claim either Irish, UK or USA residency with any insurer?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,359 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

DevL wrote: »
    I went to New York for 7 weeks training where I am now, where I believe I am covered under the company's travel insurance for business purposes only. I would like to take a trip out of state for the weekend but currently have no travel insurance.

What you're suggesting is that if you tripped on the pavement on a Saturday while in the US that your employer will disown you and you'll have to pay for medical treatment.

You say that you 'believe I am covered under the company's travel insurance for business purposes only' which suggests that that is an assumption on your part. Have you asked them?

If you work for a multinational I think you'll find that your employer will cover you.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 DevL

Thanks for the reply coylemj. My employer was very specific about the trip - for business purposes and incidentals we are completely covered. Your hypothetical of tripping on a pavement on a Saturday would be covered assuming I was in NY and not drunk or whatever. However, once you leave the state for leisure purposes business insurance no longer covers you.

For anyone else in the same position as I am I got a tip of a company called World Nomads. They will cover people in my position but they are pricy. I took out cover with them for the trip. Just back, had a great time, safe in the knowledge I was covered had anything gone wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

I have used them before see here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=59937822

Oh how I miss the whitewater rafting...

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Advertisement