Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which Gaggia?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

Starter suggestion would be to buy a popcorn maker - though quantities you produce are pretty small - LIDL tend to sell them every now and then.

I started out that way on advice from these forums. Within 3 months I'd picked up the bug and ended up buying a Behmor from Hasbean.

Hasbean also have all their beans available in green!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Sinfonia

Good guide on using a popcorn popper for roasting:

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/popperroasting

• Registered Users Posts: 45 DaraghMAC

donnacha wrote: »
    Best of luck with it - you may want to reduce the pressure on it (fairly easy on the classic) - check out reactors post on it here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53799445

Hi Donnacha,
    I have not really found this post very helpful! The two guys commenting in the post seem to know a lot about the workings of the machine. Its not descriptive enough.

I am having trouble with pressure. It's way too high and the water is flying through the filter and makes a bit of a mess. Is there anywhere else I can find out how to reduce the water pressure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

DaraghMAC wrote: »
    Hi Donnacha,
    I have not really found this post very helpful! The two guys commenting in the post seem to know a lot about the workings of the machine. Its not descriptive enough.

I am having trouble with pressure. It's way too high and the water is flying through the filter and makes a bit of a mess. Is there anywhere else I can find out how to reduce the water pressure?

Daragh, how are you grinding the beans? Water flying through the filter basket sounds more like the grind is too coarse rather than too high a pressure. Can you adjust the grind and try a finer grind?

Daragh, how are you grinding the beans? Water flying through the filter basket sounds more like the grind is too coarse rather than too high a pressure. Can you adjust the grind and try a finer grind?

Yes I am grinding myself but I am getting a good powder grind. I'll try a freshly ground espresso bean from my local coffee shop! I have managed to get into the unit and have turned down the pressure. I only gave it two ninety degree counter-clockwise turns so hopefully that will be enough.

I'll try a new grind and get back to you, Thanks!

• Advertisement

Went to my local Coffee shop and got a bag of beans ground for espresso and the water is still coming through the filter too quickly. Its spraying out all over the place and missing the cups. I have adjusted the pressure twice. Don't know what to do at this stage!!

Which grinder are you using Daragh?

Sinfonia wrote: »
    Which grinder are you using Daragh?

It's a Delonghi Burr grinder. I have tried beans ground by my local coffee shop for espresso and it has made no difference. I have been reading on coffeesnobs.com that it is because my basket is pressurised and the small widget that sits between the basket and the delivery spout is missing. I'm going to buy an ordinary basket and hopefully it will work ok now that I have turned down the pressure! It's all a bit messy to be honest and I'm a bit disappointed in Gaggia! Going to email Amazon about it!!

DaraghMAC wrote: »
    It's a Delonghi Burr grinder.
    Which model?

Be aware that some burr grinders still will not grind fine enough for espresso (for example the Gaggia MM). General rule of thumb would be that if you're spending less than €100 on a new burr grinder, it won't grind fine enough. Check reviews on Coffeegeek.com too.
    I have tried beans ground by my local coffee shop for espresso and it has made no difference.
    The problem with doing that is, the grind needed will vary from machine to machine. Because the person in your local coffee shop isn't grinding for your machine, you still probably won't get the right grind
    I have been reading on coffeesnobs.com that it is because my basket is pressurised and the small widget that sits between the basket and the delivery spout is missing. I'm going to buy an ordinary basket and hopefully it will work ok now that I have turned down the pressure! It's all a bit messy to be honest and I'm a bit disappointed in Gaggia! Going to email Amazon about it!!
    Ah that does sound like a problem alright.
    (A video explaining the importance of that widget if you haven't seen it: )

Buying an ordinary basket is probably the best idea, rather than getting the widget for the pressurised basket, although I don't really know much about pressurised baskets; I just figure the traditional way is probably best.
    Keep in mind that single baskets (for ~7g coffee) are a little more finicky to use and will vary much more than double baskets (for ~14g) and are thus harder to use (when I want a single shot I usually just pour a double into two vessels and discard one).

Do keep in mind the stuff above about grinding as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Apologies in advance if I sound a tad blunt, too much time in airports and not enough sleep or decent coffee for me this week.

Stop adjusting the pressure on the machine until you are able to pull a proper shot at the pressure it ships with - you won't know whether it's the grind or the pressure causing the trouble. The pressure setting it ships at can pull a decent shot.

A coffee shop will have no idea what exact grind suits your machine exactly, it'll be hit and miss as even when grinding at home you will have to tweak the grind depending on age of beans, type of beans, roast of beans and so on.

I had the unfortunate situation a couple of weeks back when waiting for a replacement grinder of having to try and make espresso with preground.
    It was an exercise in futility as everything I tried was too coarse and I experienced the same splashing and water pissing through the basket you are having.

Adjust the grinder you have to as fine as it will go. Set it so the flow through the basket is either choked or too slow, then adjust it gradually to a coarser grind.
    If you can't grind it so fine that it the flow is too slow the grinder isn't up to the job.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that. I'll just have to wait for the basket and hope it works ok. Amazon have said they will refund me the cost of fixing the problem so at least that is something! I'll start looking for a new grinder next but the one I have will have to do until at least the new year!!;)

Apologies in advance if I sound a tad blunt, too much time in airports and not enough sleep or decent coffee for me this week.

Stop adjusting the pressure on the machine until you are able to pull a proper shot at the pressure it ships with - you won't know whether it's the grind or the pressure causing the trouble. The pressure setting it ships at can pull a decent shot.

A coffee shop will have no idea what exact grind suits your machine exactly, it'll be hit and miss as even when grinding at home you will have to tweak the grind depending on age of beans, type of beans, roast of beans and so on.

I had the unfortunate situation a couple of weeks back when waiting for a replacement grinder of having to try and make espresso with preground.
    It was an exercise in futility as everything I tried was too coarse and I experienced the same splashing and water pissing through the basket you are having.

Adjust the grinder you have to as fine as it will go. Set it so the flow through the basket is either choked or too slow, then adjust it gradually to a coarser grind.
    If you can't grind it so fine that it the flow is too slow the grinder isn't up to the job.

Thanks for the info. I will wait and get the part that is missing and the new filter basket and see how it goes. I might have to wait for a new grinder!! Thanks again!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭donnacha

Hi DaraghMac,

Once you get the regular filter basket you'll find it much easier to start playing around with getting the grind/flow right. Its truly disappointing to read that gaggia are shipping the pressurised baskets now with the classic.

Now for the bad news - to get the most of your gaggia investment you will need to almost spend the same on a grinder as you have done on the classic. That Delonghi honestly won't grind consistently enough for you. Coffeegeek is a good resource for reviews: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders
    Also REACTOR did a comparison of the baratza range last year: http://theotherblackstuff.ie/machines/baratza-grinders/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Hi DaraghMac,

Once you get the regular filter basket you'll find it much easier to start playing around with getting the grind/flow right. Its truly disappointing to read that gaggia are shipping the pressurised baskets now with the classic.

Now for the bad news - to get the most of your gaggia investment you will need to almost spend the same on a grinder as you have done on the classic. That Delonghi honestly won't grind consistently enough for you. Coffeegeek is a good resource for reviews: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders
    Also REACTOR did a comparison of the baratza range last year: http://theotherblackstuff.ie/machines/baratza-grinders/

You can get a Iberital MC2 for around 120 euro. I paid 99 pounds for mine and it works great. Nothing on that price range can compete with the mc2. got if off happydonkey but unfortunately they dont ship to ireland anymore.

I recently got a mazzer mini e I could sell my iberital but it just wont be worth it. Rather keep it and use it on my other house or something else...

Bohrio wrote: »
    Hi DaraghMac,

You can get a Iberital MC2 for around 120 euro. I paid 99 pounds for mine and it works great. Nothing on that price range can compete with the mc2. got if off happydonkey but unfortunately they dont ship to ireland anymore.

I recently got a mazzer mini e I could sell my iberital but it just wont be worth it. Rather keep it and use it on my other house or something else...

Yes, I had tried to register on the HappyDonkey website and then noticed that they did not post to ROI or NI anymore! It's a pity!! They have some great stock at reasonable prices! I will probably try and pick up an MC2 but will probably gave to wait a little while to get it! All in all I'm looking forward to getting the basket sorted and I suppose it will be all about practice after that! Thanks for the tips! ;-)

Hi,
    I got the a new standard basket for the gaggia classic and it works great. Thanks for all your help. I will try for a new grinder next. Have my eye on a couple but will wait for the new year. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭jdburkedjburke

Enjoy your Classic

Advertisement