Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

irish central bank reprinting punt notes in case of euro collapse

Options
  • 06-10-2011 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭

have heard it from two diffrent sources within the broad bank sector. any taughts.
    from what i understand there are several legal hurdles to overcome before the reinstatment of ourown currency both irish and euopean. but its a intresting idea to discuss

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

have heard it from two diffrent sources within the broad bank sector. any taughts.
    from what i understand there are several legal hurdles to overcome before the reinstatment of ourown currency both irish and euopean. but its a intresting idea to discuss

Been denied in an answer to a parliamentary question last month.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Been denied in an answer to a parliamentary question last month.

It was denied the notes were being printed in Ireland.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭jc84

No harm having a contingency plan, would be very smart idea and probably won't be needed but with the way things are going the euro could collapse without any warning

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Here's my thought: it's bullish*t

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

thats why i posted it in this section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    It was denied the notes were being printed in Ireland.

No, I'm pretty sure it was outright denied. Our notes and coins tend to come from abroad in any case.

No, I'm pretty sure it was outright denied. Our notes and coins tend to come from abroad in any case.

Mr Fleming asked Mr Noonan "when the Irish Central Bank last printed Irish punts currency; and if he will make a statement on the matter".

In response, Mr Noonan said: "Irish pound bank notes were last produced in 2001. Euro notes and coins came into circulation on January 1, 2002. Irish pound bank notes ceased to be legal tender on 9 February, 2002."

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/state-denies-rumour-it-is-printing-the-punt-again-2886886.html

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭emmet the rover

the same way there was no bailout from the imf despite there members being in dublin. until the goverment admitted there was a bailout.

sorry if i dont believe the irish goverment

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

These are not the coins you are looking for. *twiddles fingers*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    Mr Fleming asked Mr Noonan "when the Irish Central Bank last printed Irish punts currency; and if he will make a statement on the matter".

In response, Mr Noonan said: "Irish pound bank notes were last produced in 2001. Euro notes and coins came into circulation on January 1, 2002. Irish pound bank notes ceased to be legal tender on 9 February, 2002."

Fast forward a few months and a new currency is released, but not called punts........... probably more like Cunts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

My take on it...

People with an agenda are pushing the idea internationally, that the Euro is on the way out.
    There would need to be quite a number of people in on it and we're not known for keeping secrets - but there's not one smidgen of evidence.
    Even if the Euro was fukked there would be no need to print new currency in advance. (And we're far from the collapse of the Euro)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭The Outside Agency

There are many investors who can make money from a loss of a confidence in the euro.

There are also many more who will benefit from the new bailout package currently being prepared by EU ministers.

The bailout package will get passed, wallstreet will get their usual bonuses, we'll kick the can down the road for another 2-3 years and see the cost of living spiral upward while wages continue to decrease.

Governments will say they can't afford to fund education, health and other services while continuing to sell off state assets to foreign investors that we bailed out.

Call me a doomer but overall, nothing is going to improve until people take the power of issuing money back from banks, bankers are destroying people for their own greed.

"Well, first of all, the Federal Reserve is an independent agency and there is no other agency of government which can overrule actions that we take." - Alan Greenspan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭Duke Leonal Felmet

What does 'within the broad bank sector' mean?

Are they caterers in the staff canteen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

the same way there was no bailout from the imf despite there members being in dublin. until the goverment admitted there was a bailout.

sorry if i dont believe the irish goverment

Sorry if I don't believe the equivelant of an email forward.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

How long would it take to print enough new currency for Ireland anyway?

The way pay packets are going about 45 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 UBd

two shopkeepers in the southeast quoted "pence" to me last week...

"that'll be seventy two pence please"

all those in favour say aye

Aye

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

I was told about this a few months ago and posted it another thread in CT's. The notes have already been printed and some banks already have them. I think there is something to this story.

WakeUp wrote: »
    I was told about this a few months ago and posted it another thread in CT's. The notes have already been printed and some banks already have them. I think there is something to this story.

Any evidence, other than hearsay?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Is this going to be like pretty much every single last thing we're told in here is going to happen imminently? (i.e it didn't/doesn't happen)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

meglome wrote: »
    Is this going to be like pretty much every single last thing we're told in here is going to happen imminently? (i.e it didn't/doesn't happen)
    Hey remember all those worse, non-specific, crashes that were coming?
    Wasn't the last one meant to be in march?

And then there was something that was supposed to happen last month, which might have been a comet...

And a while ago there was all those forced vaccinations we'd be getting, or being shot for not getting...
    Or before that when the swine flu mutated in the Ukraine and was going to kill us all while the elite had the real vaccines...
    Or before that when the swine flu was the depopulation plan finally being enacted...
    or before that when the swine flu was going to wipe out all the Mexicans

Oh and then there was the European superstate and conscription that the Lisbon treaty was meant to bring us...

And before that I think it was a comet again...

I really should go make a list.

King Mob wrote: »
    meglome wrote: »
    Hey remember all those worse, non-specific, crashes that were coming?
    Wasn't the last one meant to be in march?

And then there was something that was supposed to happen last month, which might have been a comet...

And a while ago there was all those forced vaccinations we'd be getting, or being shot for not getting...
    Or before that when the swine flu mutated in the Ukraine and was going to kill us all while the elite had the real vaccines...
    Or before that when the swine flu was the depopulation plan finally being enacted...
    or before that when the swine flu was going to wipe out all the Mexicans

Oh and then there was the European superstate and conscription that the Lisbon treaty was meant to bring us...

And before that I think it was a comet again...

I really should go make a list.

Please do, I could do with a lift this morning!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

There's no way in hell this could be kept quiet. Not a hope. So it's just not true.

There's no way in hell this could be kept quiet. Not a hope. So it's just not true.

Not if they were printed on UFOs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭jackiebaron

Told by whom? Can anyone provide any solid evidence? This is not like moving statues or UFOs. Surely if they are printing someone must know something. But in all honesty how long would you need to print enough new "punts" to put into circulation for the first few days should a changeover occur? A week or two? ... the majority of money doesn't physically exist anyway, it's just columns in a spreadsheet or digits in a database.

A mate of mine told me that the central bank are not printing Irish Punt notes and coins.

I reckon there is something to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

A mate of mine told me that the central bank are not printing Irish Punt notes and coins.

I reckon there is something to this.

PROOF!

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

What difference does it make what notes you are using?
    The notes are only worth what people believe they are worth, thats how money works.
    if the Euro fails then any punts are going to be worth exactly the same as a failed Euro.

Any punts coming onto the open stock exchange will have to be valued against another currency to give them value and as they can only replace the Euro then they will be worthless.

What difference does it make what notes you are using?
    The notes are only worth what people believe they are worth, thats how money works.
    if the Euro fails then any punts are going to be worth exactly the same as a failed Euro.

Any punts coming onto the open stock exchange will have to be valued against another currency to give them value and as they can only replace the Euro then they will be worthless.

Why do you assume a floating punt?

How is the value of a floating currency calculated, in your world?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭jargon buster

Why print punts , why not use shirt buttons or shells off the beach?

Advertisement