Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking protein if not toned

Options
  • 06-10-2011 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭

Hey,
    I am not toned but I want to build muscle on arms and get a toned stomach.
    I am fit enough and run 10k once a week as well as football training 2 times a week. Is it a good Idea to take protein now or should I tone up first?
    Also I have joined a gym and have access any day.
    Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

crossy wrote: »
    Hey,
    I am fit enough and run 10k once a week as well as football training 2 times a week. Is it a good Idea to take protein now or should I tone up first?
    Cheers

what is toned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Eat moar.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Tigger wrote: »
    what is toned?

The state of having some muscle and not a whole lot of bodyfat. We all
    know exactly what's meant. Move on.

Hanley wrote: »
    The state of having some muscle and not a whole lot of bodyfat. We all
    know exactly what's meant. Move on.

i was asking him, i knew you knew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

High protein intake is beneficial for building muscle and for losing weight. Best to only use protein shakes post workout or possibly in mornings because it boosts natural hormone production and aids recovery. Otherwise food is better imo, though some people find shakes conveinent/cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

i was asking him, i knew you knew.

Why? So you can then go into a diatribe of 'theres no such thing as toning, muscles either get bigger or smaller and body fat gets more or less' thus derailing the thread into a silly war of semantics and the OP after having taken the time to seek out advice gets none because of it.

Pointless crap altogether.

Crossy, protein shakes wont give you muscle. They'll give you protein. To build muscle you'll need to put your muscles under continuous stress by resistance training (weightlifting).

What the protein will do is help you recover from your runs a bit quicker. Do some research on beginner strength programmes and then some research on the type of foods needed to stimulate muscle growth and come back with any questions.

The stickies here are very good and I personally think www.thebodyrecomposition.com is a great resource to get information.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

what is toned?

It's post like this that will stop people coming on looking for advice.

I did not have not and would not post like that

I was trying to get the op involved in the discussion And explain nicely what I think the way to achieve their goal ( toned) is

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Burkatron

Hey,
    Cheers

OP it's basically adding a liquid meal(s)/extra calories to your diet. You want to cut bodyfat & increase muscle mass, you need to choose what's more important for you first then focus on that! Sort your diet out (if you haven't already) & then worry about protein shakes later.

If you want to get bigger & stronger eat lots (clean food!!!!) & lift heavy things.as said before
    Do some research on beginner strength programmes and then some research on the type of foods needed to stimulate muscle growth and come back with any questions
    this is all in the stickies!!!

If you want to "tone up" then go on a calorie deficit (500-1000 a day) which will lower your body fat,muscle mass & body weight but will get the desired look you want!

I'd (and most people here.....I think) would go with the 1st option (get bigger & stronger) then worry about cutting down later!

You haven't mentioned how old,tall or what weight you are which will be all factors in the advice you'll be given!!!

Also, read the stickies at the top of the forum & have a look at some of the training logs to see the results people similar to you have gotten over time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

what is toned?

The residual tension held in the muscle.

But sure you knew that, didn't you?

• Advertisement

gymsoldier wrote: »

ahh ffs

i was asking the op what was toned so i could answer with this article

http://www.answerfitness.com/181/body-toning-myth-fitness-tips-answer-fitness/
    and nicely explain how to achieve what he wants

i have no history of acting the dick towards people on this forum or jumping down ther throats

i have plenty of residual tension in my muscles btw but i dout that the op would want to look like me as i'm comming off a 2 year bulk

anyway i think that the article i linked is a good way of explaining

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

gymsoldier wrote: »

The two completley different definitions of toned given in the thread so far actually legitmises Tigger's opening question to scope where the OP is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Kadongy

ahh ffs

i was asking the op what was toned so i could answer with this article

http://www.answerfitness.com/181/body-toning-myth-fitness-tips-answer-fitness/
    and nicely explain how to achieve what he wants

i have no history of acting the dick towards people on this forum or jumping down ther throats

i have plenty of residual tension in my muscles btw but i dout that the op would want to look like me as i'm comming off a 2 year bulk

anyway i think that the article i linked is a good way of explaining
    You could have just posted the article. Asking him what toned was had no purpose but to make him feel small.

Your muscle tension and fatness are irrelevant. Nobody commented on those. People are taking issue because you were trying to be a bit of a bully.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Hello boys. If ye all want to have a go at good ol' toned Tigger, please go find somewhere else to do it. If youre staying here, please just help out the op? Ta.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭crossy

I am Eating A perfect Diet at the moment. Got Advice on this off a dietitian from the gym. I just have been hearing so many different stories about Protien Shakes and all. I just want to find out would they actually work. And after this post I still dont really know what to do. I need To bulk up and lose fat thats the main thing. Will Running Cancell out the protein for the muscles or what. Cheers

I am Eating A perfect Diet at the moment. Got Advice on this off a dietitian from the gym. I just have been hearing so many different stories about Protien Shakes and all. I just want to find out would they actually work. And after this post I still dont really know what to do. I need To bulk up and lose fat thats the main thing. Will Running Cancell out the protein for the muscles or what. Cheers

Did you ask the dietician? If his diet was perfect you wouldn't be considering them?? They'd have added them in if they thought you needed the extra Kcal's & protein!!

As you were told before if you read through the thread (or the stickies),you can't burn fat & gain muscle at the same time, you need to be on a calorie deficit for 1 & a calorie surplus for the other!

Protein shakes are just liquid food! Think of it as drinking a large chicken breast!

did you read my link?
    lift heavy eat big (shakes make this easy)
    repeat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭dinorebel

did you read my link?
    lift heavy eat big (shakes make this easy)
    repeat

Lifting heavy shakes helps(alledgedly:D)

Ye the Diet was just a high energy diet. Nothing to do with Muscle. Good to know that running just burns off the protein I take
    Cheers Guys

Ye the Diet was just a high energy diet. Nothing to do with Muscle. Good to know that running just burns off the protein I take
    Cheers Guys

OP, get over yourself! You never asked that, you were given good advice & pointed in the right direction of more good advice as of what to do! Does your ma tie your shoe laces still? So you're on a "perfect" "high energy" diet? This means you're taking in maintenance to a calorie surplus? If you want proper help give more info & do some reading. I'd start by posting your stats & diet or is that too much effort & not inline with been spoonfed? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

:confused:

Burkatron wrote: »
    OP, get over yourself! You never asked that, you were given good advice & pointed in the right direction of more good advice as of what to do! Does your ma tie your shoe laces still? So you're on a "perfect" "high energy" diet? This means you're taking in maintenance to a calorie surplus? If you want proper help give more info & do some reading. I'd start by posting your stats & diet or is that too much effort & not inline with been spoonfed? :rolleyes:

God no need To get snotty about it.
    I have no Idea about any of this stuff. If I did I wouldnt be on here looking for advice. I was told the Diet is healthy. Nothing else but Healthy. No Extra tricks or anything.

All I want to know is should I be taking Protein Shakes When working out. Or wait till i get Rid of the small bit of Flab I have. I dont want to know about diets or any of that stuff. I know I have to work out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

OP, all protein shakes do is add extra protein to your diet in the form of a convenient shake, its up to the way you train that determines how your body will utilise it. Numerous posters have highlighted this and you've decided not to heed their advice, my advice would be to consult your dietician about the protein shakes since you seem to not want to heed our advice here.

If you still decide that you want our help, post up this 'perfect' energy diet. We can look over it, see if you're getting the appropriate amount of protein for your body (you'll also need to post your age, height, weight and gender) from whole food and then we can direct you about the shakes based on that.

Advertisement