Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squat form check

• 05-10-2011 2:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭

This is about 90% of my 5RM I think. I injured my back a few months ago and that stopped me doing squats and deadlifts for a lot longer than it should have because I didn't let it heal.

I'm currently 75kg and this is me pushing 90kg squat.

Form check

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

First off, it's nowhere near the worst squat I've seen. Second thing, the video changes angles at some pretty crucial moments to really see what's going on but...

First thing you seem to do is change your foot position half way through your first rep...so get your setup right first. You're a bit more 'toed out' than I'd like to see, usually a compensation to make some more space in your hips.

If you pause at .15s (bottom position) the bar seems to be a bit too far forward, ideally should be right over your heels, again hard to tell due to camera angle. I'd like to see you a bit further back on your heels too. Currently looks like your knees are taking too much stress. Throw some box squats in to the mix to help 'cue' that and work on ankle and hip mobility too. That's my 2c, but I'm sure others will be along to add comments.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Looks like a hybrid oly/wide stance squat.

As said above - feet straight ahead more. Check out your shin angle at the bottom (ankle in relation to hip if you were to look in the mirror at the bottom)

Bar position is a bit high

If you're going to sit back and try to squat in that style you probably need to lean your torso forward more (this'l work better with the lower bar position too)

Pretty decent squat tho tbh! Good work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭O.P.H

Similar to my squat I'd say.

Is the wide stance and toes pointed out bad? I find myself doing it cause when I point toes forward, my flexibility isn't great, I kinda fall forward and its sore on my back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Alright so toes more forward, get the setup right initially (this should be obvious for me lol), bar abit further back and watch my shin angle. Dono how I'll do that last one but I'll try to keep it in mind.

I've only recently learnt about high bar and low bar positioning in squats so should be interesting to learn the new way.

Thanks for the tips guys. Great to have something to work on to improve!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Blacktie - the shin thing is a function of flexibility, so outside of mobility and flexibility work there’s not much you can do short term, taking your stance in slightly may help. As would thinking “knees out” - ie when you get to the bottom of the squat you should be forcing your knees over your feet (that’ll create a straight shin).

The knees drifting in thing is usually down to weak glutes and hams. Your knees collapse in to recruit the quads more, so by bringing up your hams and glutes it’ll help. This is actually something I’m concentrating on with the guys I’m working with at the moment. They all have good squat movements, but proportionally I’d like to see greater use of hamstring and glutes. I’ve changed a lot of their squatting and DL’n styles to facilitate it.

OPH - as you’ve acknowledged, it’s a compensatory thing, they’re rarely good. Short term, not much you can do. Medium to long - lots of stretching and mobility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭cmyk

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Alright so toes more forward

I'd guess that you won't be able to achieve that, straight out the gate. You're doing it (IMO) as a compensation for an issue elsewhere. As Hanley says, work on hip and ankle mobility regularly. What was your back injury?

Box squats are my 'go to' regression for those sort of issues, so look up decent tutorials on them, get that right and feel how to use your hamstrings/glutes a bit more and sitting back (shin angle as Hanley is referring to).

Of course this is all just guesswork based off a sketchy video, it could all be solved within 2mins of actual coaching you 'live' through it or it could mean beating the mobility with a stick.

I see your in Perth, otherwise I'd have said get yourself down to someone here to look at it, if you really want to give us a better idea of what's going on get a few more videos...

Squat side on (hip level)
    Squat from rear (hip level)
    Squat near maximal weight (3rm) (if your back will allow) in above positions
    Single leg weighted split squat from side and front angles

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭sportinglegend

http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/squat/

The above is a link to an article Mike Robertson has just put up on his site all about Squatting. Very informative article and well worth a read for anyone who takes their training seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭dinorebel

Would high reps of Goblet Squats be a good way of improving Squat technique? I have mobility issues after some health problems over the last year and am struggling with technique more than weight.What other exercises can I do to increase mobility?.Must get a video done and post it here as all the lifters have left my gym and gone to a cheaper alternative(I am locked into a family membership) leaving me to educate myself on youtube.

Hanley wrote: »
    Blacktie - the shin thing is a function of flexibility, so outside of mobility and flexibility work there’s not much you can do short term, taking your stance in slightly may help. As would thinking “knees out” - ie when you get to the bottom of the squat you should be forcing your knees over your feet (that’ll create a straight shin)

Ok so when I hit the bottom I'll think about forcing my knees over my feet. Long term I guess I'll find a way to work on my mobility and flexibilty to hopefully improve it.
    What was your back injury?

Wasn't anything serious. I didn't need to see a doctor or anything but basically I was doing squats one day with not the best form and felt a click. It then hurt alot to do anything that involved my back and got worse the next day. Went away after a few days and I thought I'd try squat again a week later. This was not enough time to heal and it just came back. I done this over a period of about 2 and a half months including doing DL's. I'm an idiot. Finally gave it 6 weeks before I squatted or done deads and all seems good now.

Yeah I'll give box squats a go if it will improve my form alright.

I'll try get some videos like you're asking up. Have to arrange a time with my mate when we can both be at the gym. Kind of have opposite schedules of each other.
    http://robertsontrainingsystems.com/blog/squat/

The above is a link to an article Mike Robertson has just put up on his site all about Squatting. Very informative article and well worth a read for anyone who takes their training seriously.

Reading now. Looks comprehensive :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Looks pretty good except your back is rounding at the bottom, im guessing thats what caused your injury and it'll no doubt be coming back to haunt ya unless you get it sorted! You should start squatting to a depth which is as low as you can go until you lose your arch, use a box so you can hit that depth every time.
    Start doing a lot of mobility work and stretching(hams,glutes,hip flexors etc)... everyday.

• Advertisement

jugger0 wrote: »
    Looks pretty good except your back is rounding at the bottom, im guessing thats what caused your injury and it'll no doubt be coming back to haunt ya unless you get it sorted! You should start squatting to a depth which is as low as you can go until you lose your arch, use a box so you can hit that depth every time.
    Start doing a lot of mobility work and stretching(hams,glutes,hip flexors etc)... everyday.

Yeah I noticed the back rounding at the bottom aswell. how big of a problem is this and will my flexibility work help fix it? In going as low as possible now to help it.

Problem before was slightly different. Back was bending about half way through a rep if not earlier.

Any recommendations for stretchs or were I can find some good ones?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭jugger0

Blacktie. wrote: »
    Yeah I noticed the back rounding at the bottom aswell. how big of a problem is this and will my flexibility work help fix it? In going as low as possible now to help it.

Problem before was slightly different. Back was bending about half way through a rep if not earlier.

Any recommendations for stretchs or were I can find some good ones?

Some people get away with a little rounding, its best to get rid of it tho. Flexibility will help a lot, but strengthening is also important, good mornings to improve your lower back strength and Romanian deadlifts to get you hammies and glutes working, i do a shedload of glute bridges before i lift to get them firing.

Google third world squat and start doing that everyday, i began with 30 seconds and it was absolute agony, now i can go 10 mins+ easy peasy, push yourself every time.

A few good videos, Cossack squats are brilliant..

Consistency is key!

Advertisement