Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Starlings 'moot'

Options
  • 05-10-2011 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

A group of around 100 starlings are constantly gathering & flying around my estate these days...I heard this is called a starling 'moot' but what is the purpose of it? Are they preparing to migrate?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

It's also called a murmuration (among other things). Love that word!

The flocks you see are just getting ready to settle down to roost for the night. They don't migrate but are joined by migrants from elsewhere for the winter.. the huge flocks/ moots/ murmurations are a sight to behold!

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Monkaa

littlebug wrote: »
    It's also called a murmuration. Love that word!

The flocks you see are just getting ready to settle down to roost for the night. They don't migrate but are joined by migrants from elsewhere for the winter.. the huge flocks/ moots/ murmurations are a sight to behold!

Thanks for the info :) Why do they only gather like this at this time of year?

Those more knowledgeable can correct me on this but I'd assume its because they're busy with nesting and feeding chicks through spring and summer. The increase in numbers with migrants will also make the flocks more obvious.

I'll admit I have no idea when migrant starlings arrive here and whether the current flocks being seen are resident breeding birds or a mixture:o
    Anyone?

Some good info on why they flock in winter here on the rspb site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Littlebug has it well covered.

We get large numbers of Starlings from Northern Europe because of our milder (?) Winters.

Come November, we should see some of the brilliant displays as they come to roost. I usually have in excess of 15,000 Starlings flocking at the reedbeds beside my home each yeay. To stand and watch them from the kitchen window is a real privilege.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Here's an unusual picture of a murmuration of starling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

great pic marlin. Did you take that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

great pic marlin. Did you take that?
    No I can't take credit for it,I came across it but can't remember where.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

And a stunning video that I've just come across

http://vimeo.com/31158841

Anyone know how to embed this here?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

This video just showed up on the little Bing Videos window on my MSN contacts box - normally reserved for American-related content!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,162 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

heres an embed

That vid went viral big time over the last week, it made the news in England and everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭emo72

theres a great display every evening on the nangor road longmile road junction every evening. on top of the hino harris building. i will try record it. its great cos its a built up industrial area, so lots of people must see it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭wildfowler94

emo72 wrote: »
    theres a great display every evening on the nangor road longmile road junction every evening. on top of the hino harris building. i will try record it. its great cos its a built up industrial area, so lots of people must see it.

I sat on a boat this time last year after a days wildfowling and watched the guts of 4000 birds dart over the reeds of a little midland lake a real sight to behold the sky was black.

WF

Advertisement