Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Murmuration

Options
  • 19-01-2011 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭

A thread has shown up in the Photography forum about the flocking of starlings and how to capture the image of them. An article linked in the thread refers to this flocking before roosting as 'murmuration'. Now thats a lovely word so I looked it up and lo the definition of murmuration seems to be a collective noun for starlings.
    Can anyone here throw a little light on this for me? Is murmuration the aerial dance of the starlings or the name for a group of starlings?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Never heard of murmuration, but it does seem apt and it is mentioned in a reference I have. I suggest it'll cover either of the scenarios you mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=define%3Amurmuration
    No mention of starlings though. May be an association with the noise they make while flying in flock.

Agreed - lovely word though.

edit: - Google has plenty of references for murmuration and starling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Different version's for groups of Starling's.
    (Iv'e allway's referred to it as a Mumm.)

A murmation of Starling's.

A murmurmation of Starling's.

A filth of Starling's.

A chattering of Starling's.

An affliction of Starling's.

Advertisement