Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megadeth - Th1rt3en

Options
  • 03-10-2011 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭

Bit surprised there isnt a thread up on this already (or else I just didnt spot it!) but its just under a month til the release of Megadeths 13th studio album. Personally I'm excited, due to being a bit of a Megadeth fanatic. Theres been 3 tracks released already and they seem to pick up where Endgame left off, which is no bad thing. The only thing that has me worried is the inclusion of Black Swan, Millenium Of The Blind and New World Order since these have all been released in some form, be it demo or finished recording. I just hope it isnt a sign that Mustaine is getting lazy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Knew it was on the way, but didn't realise it was due for release so soon. I'm looking forward to this, as I always do with Megadeth's stuff. Can't stomach the Public Enemy No.1 track though. It's faaaaaaaaar too cheesy, even for Mustaine. The other two tracks posted here are more to my taste though. Seems like Megadeth have just been firing out records left, right, and center over the last ten years. But they've been in top form since The System Has Failed, so I won't complain if they keep'em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

Knew it was on the way, heard a preview of a new song at Sonisphere earlier this year, but I have to be honest I have lost a lot of respect for Megadeth recently

As well as that, I don't feel Mustaine makes any effort to connect to his fans, I think he see's his role as more of a job then anything else and I'm not interested in listening to his extended back catalogue as much as perhaps their legacy demands. But that's just a personal opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Knew it was on the way, heard a preview of a new song at Sonisphere earlier this year, but I have to be honest I have lost a lot of respect for Megadeth recently

As well as that, I don't feel Mustaine makes any effort to connect to his fans, I think he see's his role as more of a job then anything else and I'm not interested in listening to his extended back catalogue as much as perhaps their legacy demands. But that's just a personal opinion.

Mustaine's always been a bit of a gob****e when it comes to interacting wit the fans.

I'll always remember the So far So Good tour in Manchester, '88 i think it was, about 30 fans waiting at the backstage entrance after the gig, rest of the band signing anything, a roadie comes out and ask who wants some guitar pics, he throws about 10 away from the tour bus, while people were going for them Mustaine ran onto the bus.

Great musician, Complete tool though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 No 1 Metal Fan

I agree with you there he is a tool did you read his book

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I agree with you there he is a tool did you read his book

Nope, not managed to find it in the 99cent bargain bin yet ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 No 1 Metal Fan

Lol good because I threw it out in the bin it was crap

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

scudzilla wrote: »
    Nope, not managed to find it in the 99cent bargain bin yet ;)

It'll be in there beside Risk :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Testament1

deathrider wrote: »
    It'll be in there beside Risk :pac:

I actually like a few tunes from Risk :o There are some solid enough songs on it but no way should it have been released under the Megadeth name!

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

I love Megadeth but I'm a bit skeptical about this new album, especially since 'Endgame' was quite a dissapointment with just a couple of great songs. I wish they would go back to the days of 'Rust in Peace, Countdown to Extinction and Youthanasia'. I'll still give this new album a good listen anyway and make up my mind about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,756 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Testament1 wrote: »
    I actually like a few tunes from Risk :o There are some solid enough songs on it but no way should it have been released under the Megadeth name!

I like 'Prince of Darkness' off Risk.

I am looking forward to Th1rt3en.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭devildriver

Public Enemy No. 1 is a grower. Having listened to it every day for the last month I've really got to like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭icanplaydrums

I've probably been looking forward to this more than any other album this year (except maybe Wasting Light). Have had no complaints from any 21st Century Megadeth material so I'm hoping this'll be the same. Hopefully they'll be back in Dublin soon too, i'm dying to see them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

scudzilla wrote: »
    Mustaine's always been a bit of a gob****e when it comes to interacting wit the fans.

I'll always remember the So far So Good tour in Manchester, '88 i think it was, about 30 fans waiting at the backstage entrance after the gig, rest of the band signing anything, a roadie comes out and ask who wants some guitar pics, he throws about 10 away from the tour bus, while people were going for them Mustaine ran onto the bus.

Great musician, Complete tool though

I remember him standing outside his hotel signing stuff and chatting to us for over 30 minutes, doing the same again the next day outside the venue, allowing me and some of my friends in to watch them doing a soundcheck, then giving us VIP backstage passes for the gig where we met him yet again after and got even more stuff signed :pac:

I remember him standing outside his hotel signing stuff and chatting to us for over 30 minutes, doing the same again the next day outside the venue, allowing me and some of my friends in to watch them doing a soundcheck, then giving us VIP backstage passes for the gig where we met him yet again after and got even more stuff signed :pac:

You're clearly the exception that proves the rule

• Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Mustaine has shown with he last few albums he still has potential. I feel that drover leaves the band down big time though. He is one of the most boring drummers I have ever heard - Perfectly solid, but no flair.

Patricide wrote: »
    I feel that drover leaves the band down big time though. He is one of the most boring drummers I have ever heard - Perfectly solid, but no flair.

I'd be inclined to say something similar about Chris Broderick. Now he doesnt let down the band and by f*ck can he play but he does so somewhat robotically compared to the intensity that Chris Poland or Marty Friedman had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Marty had a ton of feel and tone, thats very unique when playing fast. Few seem to be able to do it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Marty was by far the most talented guitarist they've had. A lot of duds

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

How do ya pronounce that? Thwuner-three-en?

Numbers shouldn't be used as l3tters.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

It's l337.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

I have no idea what that means.

Megadeth will never top 'Youthanasia' for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

viadah wrote: »
    I have no idea what that means.

Megadeth will never top 'Youthanasia' for me.

It's 'Nerd' speak that was used a lot years ago in a lot of gaming scenes and around forums.

l337 - Leet (To be 'Elite' at something)

viadah wrote: »
    How do ya pronounce that? Thwuner-three-en?

Numbers shouldn't be used as l3tters.

"Thirteen"......Dave seems to have been trying to get clever by using the numbers 13 in the word Thirteen, genius stuff :rolleyes:......really should have just gone with the numbers but I suppose it doesnt look too bad on the album cover.

Testament1 wrote: »
    "Thirteen"......Dave seems to have been trying to get clever by using the numbers 13 in the word Thirteen, genius stuff :rolleyes:......

It's not even his idea though, Robert Miles released an album with the exact same title in February this year (that's got to annoy artists when it happens) and a Rapper named JD Era released an album with this exact title about a year ago or so....

It's also the name of a PS3 clan of online gamers, they're called the Th1rt3en Ghosts for some reason

And, in what I must appauld, this guy took the website and registered it for himself just in case Megadeth got any ideas;)

http://www.th1rt3en.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

out now on Irish iTunes store

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

out now on Irish iTunes store

Think that was a blip. It is now back to it's pre order state until midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

No No Nnnnnooooooooo!!!!!!!!

No No Nnnnnooooooooo!!!!!!!!

It is out now on itunes though, and in stores.:)

Any thoughts from folks who have listened to it in full?

I ordered it online so will not have it until next week, so just curious as to what kind of feedback it is getting from fellow Boardsies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

Kess73 wrote: »
    Any thoughts from folks who have listened to it in full?

I ordered it online so will not have it until next week, so just curious as to what kind of feedback it is getting from fellow Boardsies?

I downloaded the whole album and I thought it wasn't that great to be honest. Sudden Death, Public Enemy No. 1, New World Order, Millennium Of The Blind and 13 are class. I have still to get into Fast Lane as well. As for the rest of the album I thought it just wasn't that inspiring, and most of the guitar riffs are really not that great or exciting. I don't think Megadeth will ever top both 'Countdown To Extinction' or 'Youthanasia', they are incredible albums with so many class songs, and not just a handful like the new album.

Advertisement