Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviation & Aircraft Photo Discussion Thread *Mod Warning Post 1*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

bbk wrote: »
    Would anyone have a pic of United flight 127 to Washington from yesterday? (20th of August)

Many thanks

Hey bbk,

According to the data on flightradar there was no flight yesterday from DUB to IAD, was it cancelled?

http://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/ua127/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

dm09 wrote: »
    Hey bbk,

According to the data on flightradar there was no flight yesterday from DUB to IAD, was it cancelled?

It definitely flew yesterday, pushed back around 12.00,a few minutes early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

dm09 wrote: »
    Hey bbk,

It went alright, I saw it off. A nice 757. I had some family on it having a special trip across the pond so a high quality picture for posterity would be nice, I forgot my damn camera :mad:.

Flightaware had the flight but a huge portion of it was estimated until it reached land stateside, maybe something to do with it.

There was also massively shabby looking Air Canada 767 there yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭dm09

bbk wrote: »
    It went alright, I saw it off. A nice 757. I had some family on it having a special trip across the pond so a high quality picture for posterity would be nice, I forgot my damn camera :mad:.

Flightaware had the flight but a huge portion of it was estimated until it reached land stateside, maybe something to do with it.

There was also massively shabby looking Air Canada 767 there yesterday.

Perhaps the aircraft they used on that day wasn't equipped with ADS-B explaining why it didn't register with flightradar24?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

Here it is - light conditions were not great, unfortunately. (Click on this thumbnail for larger sizes.)
    25770439.d2d925d7.240.jpg?r1
    N19130 Boeing 757-224 par Irish 251, on ipernity

• Advertisement

Thank you very much for that, it is greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,559 ✭✭✭andy_g

westdub wrote: »
    A little HDR on the MD-11....:D

9591237411_5afdb13a59_b.jpg
    FedEx MD-11 N603FE by Lucan Snapper, on Flickr

For a HDR shot thats not bad, and im not a fan of HDR normally but i like it

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

andy_g wrote: »
    For a HDR shot thats not bad, and im not a fan of HDR normally but i like it

I would be of a similar mind on HDR but that really shows off the power of the triple engines on take-off. Very dramatic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Xpro wrote: »
    Extra 300L in Weston
    G-ZXCL

zsv7mc.jpg
    Is that a camera mount on the end of the wing?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Can anyone recommend a good place to buy prints of airplanes? Specifically looking for Ryanair planes. Saw a few on Amazon but they're just ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

irish_goat wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a good place to buy prints of airplanes? Specifically looking for Ryanair planes. Saw a few on Amazon but they're just ok.

This guys are great.

http://www.greypencils.com/ryanair.htm

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

lord lucan wrote: »

Thanks for the reply but it's not quite what I was after. Was more looking for photos of one of their planes in flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

@ Zonda999, I notice the airbridge is attached to the EI A320, was that the one for the LHR flight? I going there on sunday so I am curious about using the airbridge. It annoys the hell out of me when EI aircraft pull up next to it and they won't use it. The line that it's to speed up the turn around is the greatest load of crap ever spouted by EI, every other airport that they fly into they use an airbridge, or at worst a bus from a remote stand. I'm firmly convinced that it's the Cork based crews doing in order for them to have a longer rest period.

roundymac wrote: »
    @ Zonda999, I notice the airbridge is attached to the EI A320, was that the one for the LHR flight? I going there on sunday so I am curious about using the airbridge. It annoys the hell out of me when EI aircraft pull up next to it and they won't use it. The line that it's to speed up the turn around is the greatest load of crap ever spouted by EI, every other airport that they fly into they use an airbridge, or at worst a bus from a remote stand. I'm firmly convinced that it's the Cork based crews doing in order for them to have a longer rest period.

Using 2 doors is quicker and less prone to hold-ups than 1. From a crew point of view jetbridge/steps is pretty similar, they have the same time to get the cabin ready between last and first passengers regardless of steps or bridge. (approx 15-20 mins)
    And AFAIK EI crews no longer get designated rest times between flights, they must try to take a break inflight if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

I have seen it mentioned elsewhere that the last heathrow arrival, and subsequent first departure use the jetbridge as there is less pressure time wise for these flights.

As for using air-bridges/buses - in many airports this may not be optional and as such they are required to use them.
    Tenger wrote: »
    Using 2 doors is quicker and less prone to hold-ups than 1. From a crew point of view jet-bridge/steps is pretty similar, they have the same time to get the cabin ready between last and first passengers regardless of steps or bridge. (approx 15-20 mins)
    And AFAIK EI crews no longer get designated rest times between flights, they must try to take a break in-flight if possible.

Quickest I have ever seen is a Ryanair flight from Dublin. Previous leg must have been delayed, as they shepherded the passengers out the rear door, the FA's followed the last passengers down the aisle picking up pares etc, while the departing passengers entered through the front door.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Shamrock231

The line that it's to speed up the turn around is the greatest load of crap ever spouted by EI, every other airport that they fly into they use an airbridge.

Makes sense to me that using 2 doors to get everyone on and off is faster than using 1.

On the point about Cork though, I think it's more a thing that as cork only has a small number of based aircraft, and only operates a small enough number of flights a day, there's less scope when scheduling aircraft to allow for the longer 35 minute turn around that they can afford in say Dublin where you can optimize the schedule. In cork when an aircraft comes in, there's probably only one flight leaving in the next 40 minutes, in Dublin, when an aircraft comes in there could be a flight in 25 mins, 30 mins, 35 mins, 40 mins etc, so they can assign aircraft to the flight that allows a turnaround with the jetbridge.

I've seen some photo's of Dublin though where EI use both the rear steps for the back and the bridge for the front, anyone know if this is a regular thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭N7777G

After over a year in storage these two 320s were scrapped in July - what a pity.

8590553686_b996b28d10_z.jpg
    Spanair A320s by eigjb, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭David086

N7777G wrote: »
    After over a year in storage these two 320s were scrapped in July - what a pity.

8590553686_b996b28d10_z.jpg
    Spanair A320s by eigjb, on Flickr

Were they in bad shape?

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

David086 wrote: »
    Were they in bad shape?

They may just have been worth more as spare parts. Especially if any heavy maintenance checks etc were coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I don;t know too much about the operational use of the airbridges in ORK but I've never had a flight ex ORK that used them. To answer your question, yes that was the aircraft that was used for the flight. I would have taken this photo when I just got out to the departure gates though so this photo was taken about one hour prior to departure

Honestly, I like when you're required to board the plane using the stairs, gives you a chance to ahve a better look at the aircraft

Actually, on the subject of that trip, I also like at LHR when you exit the rear of the aircraft and take the bus to the transfer centre. Just when you're walking from the aircraft to the bus, you get a great view of the runway you likely just landed on. Its LHR too so you always see a landing or two and then see the aircraft taxi right past you. I can only imagine this spectacle will be gone when EI move to T2 in LHR next year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭kub

The only time i got to use the airbridge at Cork was on a EI flight from CDG 2 years ago, this was mid day in September so I imagine that the plane was been turned around as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,095 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I've seen some photo's of Dublin though where EI use both the rear steps for the back and the bridge for the front, anyone know if this is a regular thing?

I've seen it regularly done for unloading only, usually if the inbound was late. That's just as a pax observing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,945 ✭✭✭✭flazio

So where do the PAX out the rear go? Up the steps onto the airbridge?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,095 ✭✭✭✭L1011

flazio wrote: »
    So where do the PAX out the rear go? Up the steps onto the airbridge?

There's steps at the airbridge root (terminal end) as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

N7777G wrote: »

seen the scraping process of these two from start to finish, it was very interesting. no one wanted to lease them and they were wort more in parts. both needed heavy checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,976 ✭✭✭Brennans Row

Katunga wrote: »
    seen the scraping process of these two from start to finish, it was very interesting. no one wanted to lease them and they were wort more in parts. both needed heavy checks.
    Could you tell us the name of the company that recycled them and where they did it?

A second request for the photographers here. Does anyone take a picture of the Washington - Dublin United flight 126 arrive today? Or the plane taking off again will do. Once again, greatly appreciated.

I even had my camera today but the feckin thing got in nearly an hour earlier than billed. Just about got the passengers I was expecting at arrivals =P

EDIT: Got one by PM from a user here, many thanks to them!

Is that smurfjed showing off in the photo thread......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Anyone know why the starboard inner engine's nacelle is painted different to the other three on Sally B?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,849 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

RadioRetro wrote: »
    Anyone know why the starboard inner engine's nacelle is painted different to the other three on Sally B?
    http://www.sallyb.org.uk/founder.htm

Advertisement