Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seal hunting in Canada

Options
  • 30-09-2011 10:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

I have no problem with seal hunting in Canada as every part fo the animal is used and no habitat has been taken over to produce a monoculture.

mod note:- topic split from another thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

What are they trapped for?

I have no problem with seal hunting in Canada as every part fo the animal is used and no habitat has been taken over to produce a monoculture.
    Have to agree with this, why have you a problem with seal hunting???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

http://www.canadiansealhunt.com/

I respect (with difficulty) all living things :)

I guess you have no problem with whale hunting either ?

E39MSport wrote: »
    http://www.canadiansealhunt.com/

I respect (with difficulty) all living things :)

I guess you have no problem with whale hunting either ?
    I have no problem with hunting anything that can legilly be hunted

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭donal2000

Fair enough hunting them in a humane manner but not clubbing them to death.

donal2000 wrote: »
    I agree

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

To be fair with ice flows that may move how can they ensure an accurate shot?

It's not as if they are being beaten to death by a five year old with a feather. As with wringing a chickens neck with skill and strength it is done fast and efficiently.

To be fair with ice flows that may move how can they ensure an accurate shot?

It's not as if they are being beaten to death by a five year old with a feather. As with wringing a chickens neck with skill and strength it is done fast and efficiently.
    Yeah thats true too, iv had to take follow up shots on animals as small as rabbits in the past or pick them up and break their neck after shooting. You can never be 100% sure of an instant death when hunting but you always do your best to kill as quick as possible and not have the animal suffer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Seal Cubs are clubbed to death and the carcass wasted. Fishermen in Canada kill seals just to protect fish stocks. Hardly something we should accept.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's a bit of a stretch to call it 'hunting' though.
    the word hunting has connotations of stalking; a seal cull is more of a turkey shoot.

i have a problem with hunting if it's purely a trophy sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Very true - another issue is the seize of the quotas for some species. One cull last year involved 300,000 seal pups in one area which simply is not sustaineable against the background of allready shrinking populations in the face of pollution and declining sea-ice in the Canadian Arctic:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Its been pointed out that shooting might not always result in an instant death, but if you can get close enough to club a seal to death, surely you can use a humane killer instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

Its been pointed out that shooting might not always result in an instant death, but if you can get close enough to club a seal to death, surely you can use a humane killer instead?

Or to paraphrase what you are saying (&agree with you) if you can get that close there is no excuse for shooting not to be instant.

In fact the problem is the macho approach that they are "not worth a bullet"

LC

i dont think there is any macho approach to be fair. It was always done with clubs wasn't it? That or a spear

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

i dont think there is any macho approach to be fair. It was always done with clubs wasn't it? That or a spear

Macho or not, clubbing isn't really humane. I suppose the arguement is that a bullet might damage the pelts. But isn't population control the aim of the cull? Not fur. Or am I being naive...

no idea man

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

The Japanese get around hunting for whales and dolphins by hunting for "medical research." The truth is they are hunting them for food and often in very barbaric ways. Iceland too Im afraid but especially Japan.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

The Japanese get around hunting for whales and dolphins by hunting for "medical research." The truth is they are hunting them for food and often in very barbaric ways. Iceland too Im afraid but especially Japan.
    What about Norway,Russia Faeroes, Greenland and the USA, they all whale.
    I don't have any issues with sustainable use of resources and given that the Minke whale population is being sustainably managed then there should be no issues.
    When you bring ethics into the argument then it becomes a much more polarised issue.
    Basically it then becomes a battle between some peoples attitudes to other peoples attitudes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,655 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

CJhaughey wrote: »
    What about Norway,Russia Faeroes, Greenland and the USA, they all whale.
    I don't have any issues with sustainable use of resources and given that the Minke whale population is being sustainably managed then there should be no issues.
    When you bring ethics into the argument then it becomes a much more polarised issue.
    Basically it then becomes a battle between some peoples attitudes to other peoples attitudes.

No problem with traditional hunting by native communties in the Arctic myself - the problem here arose when hunting went industrial with massive factory whaling ships in the 19th and 20th centuaries that nearly wiped out whole species. Some like the Blue, Right and Grey Whales will probably never recover their former numbers:(

PS: Another issue with Whale meat is the frightning levels of toxins being found in many populations. Nasties like PCB's, Toulouene, Mercury and other heavy metals have reached such a level that even in Japan many health authorities have banned its consumption for children and advised other persons to cut their intake. This and other reasons means that only a small minority in this part of the world still eat whale meat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

whale meat is not nearly as popular in japan as the authorities like to claim; i believe they've had problems selling all the meat landed in the last few years of whaling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Ethics are imprtant when it comes to whales and indeed all life.

We have a massive responsibility and sadly we seem to disregard it as a species for the most part.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1299548/Whales-dubbed-devil-fish-appear-personality-change-play-tourists.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

You obviously dont have much of a clue about any hunting:D
    The Whale hunt is as humane as killing cattle,but whats the difference really:D
    Yes the difference is that you dont eat whale meat,but you eat beef.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

To be fare when it comes to the killing cattle it's over in a second, whales are franticly chased across the seas for hours and then shot with a harpoon grenade. This grenade tipped harpoon explodes inflicting severe pain. The fortunate ones die from the shock and exertion of the chase alone. Once embedded inside the whale the grenade explodes causing massive trauma and internal bleeding from lacerations, this results in agonizing pain and suffering.In addition shockwaves from the blast cause neurotrauma, that is brain and spinal chord damage which is meant to kill the whale with in 2 minutes. However in order to better preserve the integrity of the flesh a lower amount of explosive is used, therefore the whale takes longer to die and consequently suffers for longer.
    In most cases the whales are fully conscious as they slowly die from these horrific wounds and so suffer extreme fear and distress. So profuse is the bleeding that many of the whales spew blood from the blow holes on the top of their heads. They eventually are dragged on to the ships and with some butchered alive
    No stunning methods are at any time during these slaughters

• Closed Accounts Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Norwayviking

mgwhelan wrote: »
    To be fare when it comes to the killing cattle it's over in a second, whales are franticly chased across the seas for hours and then shot with a harpoon grenade. This grenade tipped harpoon explodes inflicting severe pain. The fortunate ones die from the shock and exertion of the chase alone. Once embedded inside the whale the grenade explodes causing massive trauma and internal bleeding from lacerations, this results in agonizing pain and suffering.In addition shockwaves from the blast cause neurotrauma, that is brain and spinal chord damage which is meant to kill the whale with in 2 minutes. However in order to better preserve the integrity of the flesh a lower amount of explosive is used, therefore the whale takes longer to die and consequently suffers for longer.
    In most cases the whales are fully conscious as they slowly die from these horrific wounds and so suffer extreme fear and distress. So profuse is the bleeding that many of the whales spew blood from the blow holes on the top of their heads. They eventually are dragged on to the ships and with some butchered alive
    No stunning methods are at any time during these slaughters

You seem to know alot about Whaling.have you ever tried it since you actually know so much about their sufferings.;)
    Last i heard its that the when that harpoon hits and that grenade explodes it kills them instantly.
    If thats the case maybe its better to go back to the old fashion way with spears instead,and no grenade.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

You seem to know alot about Whaling.have you ever tried it since you actually know so much about their sufferings.;)
    Last i heard its that the when that harpoon hits and that grenade explodes it kills them instantly.
    If thats the case maybe its better to go back to the old fashion way with spears instead,and no grenade.;)

So by your logic you must be a whaler as you know that they are killed instantly.
    ps. stop winking at me.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

No the difference is that cattle have been selectively bred over 100s if not 1000s of generations for no other function than to be eaten or used for their milk, they are not wild animals and they are not intelligent, cattle are farmed not hunted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Scrappychimow

Would you like to be clubbed to death?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    No the difference is that cattle have been selectively bred over 100s if not 1000s of generations for no other function than to be eaten or used for their milk, they are not wild animals and they are not intelligent, cattle are farmed not hunted.
    and by in large animals that are hunted die quicker than farmed animals but Thats a whole other thread

Would you like to be clubbed to death?

really Thats your argument?? :rolleyes:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,173 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

and by in large animals that are hunted die quicker than farmed animals but Thats a whole other thread

I can't comment because I don't know tbh, I just think saying the only reason we get worked up about people killing whales for no good reason is because we don't eat them is a poor argument.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Well you haven't met my cows :D agree with rest
    And not for this forum ;)

Advertisement