Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pay as you please restaurant in Killarney

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

What if its a money laundering operation????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What if its a money laundering operation????

Then the money you pay them will have a nice smell of Persil after they wash it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Its located in a former stockroom of a clothes store, this is the first business ever there so the rent would be really cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

If anyone didn't pay there should be someone waiting outside for them with a tazer.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

b743k wrote: »
    There's a pay as you please restaurant in Killarney. I wonder if it could be maintained in Ireland or would people pull the piss?
    Do you think that most people pay a fair price?

dont tell the cavan folk they are as mean as the day is long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Myself and a few lads ate the breakfast there a few months back and the food was very good. We managed to chat to the owner for a few minutes and asked him how it was going for him, he said business was booming and often people would pay more then the price of the meal. Myself and the lads gave €13 each for our breakfasts which is about the going rate. I wouldn't feel right just throwing a euro into the box or something like that because in fairness the guy is trying to make a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

The only comparison I've experienced is playing a gig where a jar is passed around. The last one I did like that i was verily impressed at how much people gave, without having to. Some people threw in some shrapnel, but there were 5 and 10 euro notes too. I think people are willing to pay for something they like, and sometimes generously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

LaVail wrote: »
    Myself and a few lads ate the breakfast there a few months back and the food was very good. We managed to chat to the owner for a few minutes and asked him how it was going for him, he said business was booming and often people would pay more then the price of the meal. Myself and the lads gave €13 each for our breakfasts which is about the going rate. I wouldn't feel right just throwing a euro into the box or something like that because in fairness the guy is trying to make a living.

€13 is the going rate for a breakfast ???? Blimey oh reilly <eek>

• Registered Users Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭Degag

Meh, if you got the whole works €13 isn't bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

Degag wrote: »
    Meh, if you got the whole works €13 isn't bad.

For a breakfast?? :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭CoolHat

mikemac wrote: »
    Might work

I thought the Dublin bike scheme would be over in a week and the bikes would be stolen and in canals
    Didn't happen at all

Maybe Irish people would not take advantage and this could be a success

I thought that would flop too.
    But dont you have to swip your credit card in order to get the bike? So no wonder people dont wreck them. Easy to trace.

As for this whole pay as you please. People will take the p*ss.
    And Im not just talking about the hungry kits who'll gladly give 50 cent. But seemingly "decent" people will get slap up meals and only give a few euro. 'Give an inch, take a mile'

You'll hear all the excuses in the world too. I reckon the most common excuse will be "sorry, money is a bit tight lately" as the person gives some change.

billybudd wrote: »
    It would be far to much of a risk to take, Restaurants cost huge money to run in Dublin between rates, rents, insurance etc etc etc etc etc, even if 50% where honest enough to play fairly the other potential 50% would have you ou of business within a month. nice idea though

Well..this place isnt in Dublin. And oddly enough Killarney has high rent too.etc.

chucken1 wrote: »
    Well yeah. I mean if i got rashers, sausages, eggs, pudding, beans, mushrooms, hash browns, tomatoes, toast and tea/coffee i think it'd be worth €13. Oftentimes i mightn't even eat dinner (maybe a sandwich) if i had a good breakfast.

Degag wrote: »
    Well yeah. I mean if i got rashers, sausages, eggs, pudding, beans, mushrooms, hash browns, tomatoes, toast and tea/coffee i think it'd be worth €13. Oftentimes i mightn't even eat dinner (maybe a sandwich) if i had a good breakfast.

13 euro :pac::pac::pac:...oh my!

Yeah, (am i repeating myself?) If you get a good feed i don't think it's bad.

I cant help but give a plug to one of the best resturants in Dublin (IMO) while reading this thread ... :D

The Full House on Abbey Street. All you can eat and only 6.20 per person. Like if the full house was "pay as you please" theres no way i could give less than 10 euro. But hey, they charge 6.20. So thats what I pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭LaVail

Full breakfast...

3 sausages - 2 of each black and white pudding - 2 rashers - beans - mushrooms - fried tomato - chips - tea - toast - brown bread

If you lot think that's expensive ye must be having yer breakfast in a right dive of a place. €13 isn't bad at all.

LaVail wrote: »
    Full breakfast...

3 sausages - 2 of each black and white pudding - 2 rashers - beans - mushrooms - fried tomato - chips - tea - toast - brown bread

If you lot think that's expensive ye must be having yer breakfast in a right dive of a place. €13 isn't bad at all.

you're wrong! :pac:
    Sure Jerome Hughes got a slap up breakfast for 9 euro. What homeless person could say no :pac:

(will never live that down)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I've been to the pay as you please in Killarney a good few times and it's doing fairly well from what I can tell.

Food's always been good there and I'd recommend it to anybody who hasn't been. There's a nice vibe about the place and I'd imagine not many people under pay to the extent that they're ripping off the lads who run it, anytime I've gone in there I've probably almost overpaid as I like to see a new business with young guys at the helm doing well - especially in a town like Killarney that's seen alot of shops close down in the past two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭newman10

Its located in a former stockroom of a clothes store, this is the first business ever there so the rent would be really cheap.

Heard that the land lord did not have planning permission to convert any of the units and is now trying to force all the tenants to pay any fees involved.

I also life the farm market idea which is in the end unit.

The units were originally built by the UDC as craft units and sold to the present owner at a reduced price because of some stupid idea that he would develop a local craft business :confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 jamartin

Where and what i sthe name of this restuarant , a fella i knew years back opened such a thing in killarney "vanilla pod" up a little lane heading to the main car park in town ,and went to have look last weekend and it had closed down .was suprised at that as seemed to be doing ok and he was a fantastic chef

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭salutations

PARKHEAD67 wrote: »
    It simply wouldnt work. We're one of the most dishonest races on Earth.

Huzzah, a sweeping generalization of an entire race!

Stereotypes are stupid.......like Americans. :D

Advertisement