Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ferguson Ariva 120 Users Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

No, I didn't get an adapter which surprised me as it is a legal requirement.

I bought it online from Satworld.ie and it was delivered by post (courier?). Surprisingly it had the stations tuned in but had the old V2.13 software. Surely one would expect both to be updated or none?

I haven't brought it back yet (haven't had a chance, hopefully over the next few days).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

No, I didn't get an adapter which surprised me as it is a legal requirement.

I bought it online from Satworld.ie and it was delivered by post (courier?). Surprisingly it had the stations tuned in but had the old V2.13 software. Surely one would expect both to be updated or none?

I haven't brought it back yet (haven't had a chance, hopefully over the next few days).
    Sure go in there and Im sure they'll sort you out, sound lads in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

shblob wrote: »

+1

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Last time I checked you can turn off the automatic pause in the settings which *should* stop the USB stick from being constantly accessed, while still allowing Pause to work ...... it just won't have the few previous seconds.

The main point is ...... if the USB stick is being constantly accessed, which hopefully may be indicated by a LED on the stick, then it will get damaged rather quickly.

So I strongly recommend that you turn off, whatever needs to be turned off, in the settings to ensure this constant access does not happen.

An external HDD is the better option ..... but make sure it has its own power supply and is not dependent on the USB socket to power it.

regards.

Hi
    I purchased one of these boxes off Tony today, Will a standard 2.5 Inch HDD not work solely off the USB port on the box ?
    Has anybody tried a external drive without a power supply ??

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭dodzy

Hi
    I purchased one of these boxes off Tony today, Will a standard 2.5 Inch HDD not work solely off the USB port on the box ?

Different success stories with usb powered drives. Much better with the larger drive externally powered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Hi

Yes some have .... both with success and failure.

Up to you really ...... the device manual tells you explicitly to use HDDs that have their own power supply.

I would suggest that would be the route to follow both to protect the small PSU providing power to the USB socket and to ensure you have the best chance of reliable recording.

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

Hi quick question I have the 120 box (got from satellite.ie)when I use epg it gives full listings for terrestrial channels but nothing for the free to air channels. Is there a reason for this or is there a way to fix? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

cuculainn wrote: »
    Hi quick question I have the 120 box (got from satellite.ie)when I use epg it gives full listings for terrestrial channels but nothing for the free to air channels. Is there a reason for this or is there a way to fix? Thanks

It should give Now and Next for Satellite channels .......

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭cuculainn

It should give Now and Next for Satellite channels .......

Yeah thats what I thought.....but the EPG for all the sat channels is empty. Any solutions?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭Apogee

cuculainn wrote: »
    Yeah thats what I thought.....but the EPG for all the sat channels is empty. Any solutions?

You have to click on a channel first for the 'now and next' info to load up for that channel (and for any other channel on the same transponder).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

ARIVA 120 and F1 in 2012 ?
    Is there any way to combine radio commentary e.g. Radio5L with tv pictures e.g. RTL on 19e for up and coming F1 season

Brought the box back and they sorted it out. They said I put the wrong software on it. I put file from Ferguson website called "A120Combo_20111207_V2.17B3.abs". Must be for something else.

They couldn't explain why the null modem cable wouldn't work for me (as that's what they used to fix it!).

They said there would be no charge this time but if it happened again it would cost me €20 to fix. The version of software they put on is V2.14b4, dated June 2011. I'm now afraid to try and update it again so I'm stuck with the old software.

I'm sorry I bought it at all and especially from Satworld.ie:(

Brought the box back and they sorted it out. They said I put the wrong software on it. I put file from Ferguson website called "A120Combo_20111207_V2.17B3.abs". Must be for something else.

They couldn't explain why the null modem cable wouldn't work for me (as that's what they used to fix it!).

They said there would be no charge this time but if it happened again it would cost me €20 to fix. The version of software they put on is V2.14b4, dated June 2011. I'm now afraid to try and update it again so I'm stuck with the old software.

I'm sorry I bought it at all and especially from Satworld.ie:(
    So basically you bricked the box by putting the wrong firmware in it, tried to fix it with the null modem cable and failed. If you did everything right it wouldn't have gotten bricked, right?

you brought it back, they fixed it, with a null modem cable and didn't charge you, for bricking it

and you still complain? no pleasing some people huh :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

So basically you bricked the box by putting the wrong firmware in it,

To be fair the firmware listed is the correct one.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

and you still complain? no pleasing some people huh :)

The box I was originally supplied with (with the V2.13 software) was simply not fit for purpose. It did not reliably record programs. It crashed on numerous occasions requiring a full power off/on to restore it. I think if any retailer is supplying equipment in this condition, they should co-operate and help their customers as much as possible in getting the box working with the most reliable, stable, software. So, no, I'm not pleased.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

The box I was originally supplied with (with the V2.13 software) was simply not fit for purpose. It did not reliably record programs. It crashed on numerous occasions requiring a full power off/on to restore it. I think if any retailer is supplying equipment in this condition, they should co-operate and help their customers as much as possible in getting the box working with the most reliable, stable, software. So, no, I'm not pleased.

They did.

They did.

On what basis do you judge the V2.14 software (dated June 2011) is more reliable and stable than the V2.17 (dated December 2011)?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

On what basis do you judge the V2.14 software (dated June 2011) is more reliable and stable than the V2.17 (dated December 2011)?

You arrived with a brick and took home a working box with no charge. I would be happy with that service. Next job is to upgrade the software to the latest version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭comet

Trying to understand something.
    Yesterday I was recording BBC and I was able to bring up the PVR and playback another recording at the same time.
    Tonight I try to do the same thing and nothing happens when I hit the USB/PVR button

Tony wrote: »
    To be fair the firmware listed is the correct one.
    Thats correct, but if Paul isn't competent enough to fix the box by rs232 then I wouldn;t be surprised if he can't upgrade the box, nothing personal, but whenever I upgrade boxes usually they don't get bricked if you put the right soft in them !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Strawberry HillBilly

Apologies -I asked this question over on Foreign Sat forum with no takers so hopin you guys mights help.Anyway to get this box to combine english commentary (BBC radio ??) with RTL video for upcoming F1 season ??????

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭khumbu

Anyway to get this box to combine english commentary (BBC radio ??) with RTL video for upcoming F1 season ??????

Only if you have two of them! One tuned to RTL & one tuned to BBC. Audio out of BBC box & RGB/video out of RTL combined into one scart connected to tv.

Thats correct, but if Paul isn't competent enough to fix the box by rs232 then I wouldn;t be surprised if he can't upgrade the box, nothing personal, but whenever I upgrade boxes usually they don't get bricked if you put the right soft in them !

Well, I followed the instructions for upgrading from the USB to the letter and it failed. Those instructions, at least, are reasonably clear. Maybe there's a fault on my box which causes this to fail.

The instructions for using the RS232 cable are a lot more ambiguous. On top of that, I don't even know if my COM port on the PC is working properly as I have nothing else to verify it with. I could possibly have run a dumb terminal program on the PC to see what, if anything, the box was outputting during it's boot sequence but there didn't seem much point. It seemed to be as dead as the proverbial dodo.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Snark

Thinking of the IOMEGA Home Media Network Hard Drive Cloud Edition as a hard drive to use with the Ariva 120.

What I want
    1. Being able to use record tv from ariva 120 to hard disk
    2. Being able to use media player software (on the hard disk) - so it can be used separately, on another tv, etc.
    3. remote control for media hard drive.

Is this a goer? If not - any reccomendations on a media hard drive that will work with Ariva?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭tfrancer

ON my Ariva 120 I sometimes get Sky News and other times there is no signal. Have others had this problem?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scobay

What version of software should we be using on the 120 then? I was basicaly told not to upgrade software by the salesman in Satworld mine is on v2.14b4 ? also where to get reliable firmware for his box?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭dodzy

scobay wrote: »
    What version of software should we be using on the 120 then? I was basicaly told not to upgrade software by the salesman in Satworld mine is on v2.14b4 ? also where to get reliable firmware for his box?
    I do not understand why people are fixated on having the latest firmware on this thing. For the moment, and most likely the distant future, if your ariva is working fine, then leave it alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 scobay

Fixation has nothing to do with it, if a unit has updated firmware its usually for a reason, bugs fixed, extra features, stability. Manufacturers dont update firmware for the good of their health. If anybody has more productive info or input please answer my previous question thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭discobrother1

Hi Guys- I have an ariva 120 thats displaying the word ASH on its oled. Ive tried numerous times with the Aiva updater tool (different versions) using a null modem cable to flash the firmware but to no avail. Still im getting ASh on the front of the STB and nothing outputting to the tv via HDMI. This box was working fine for months but just died yesterday. It was bought from Satworld if that matters. Any ideas. Then updater goes through the process to the end and confirms that it has flashed the stb but still i have the dreaded ASH!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Hi Guys- I have an ariva 120 thats displaying the word ASH on its oled. Ive tried numerous times with the Aiva updater tool (different versions) using a null modem cable to flash the firmware but to no avail. Still im getting ASh on the front of the STB and nothing outputting to the tv via HDMI. This box was working fine for months but just died yesterday. It was bought from Satworld if that matters. Any ideas. Then updater goes through the process to the end and confirms that it has flashed the stb but still i have the dreaded ASH!!

Have you tried connecting the Receiver through scart to the TV to see what's on the Screen.

Advertisement