Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back and Bad (Really Bad!!!)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

Wow Runonewon fantastic times there! Funny you crossed my mind last week as I happened to see the tail end of the Tuam 5k when I was driving past. I think you can safely say you're back to your old self now!

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Runonewon

littlebug wrote: »
    Wow Runonewon fantastic times there! Funny you crossed my mind last week as I happened to see the tail end of the Tuam 5k when I was driving past. I think you can safely say you're back to your old self now!

Thanks Littlebug,things have really gone very well for me in the last 3/4 months,a few lifestyle changes eg more sleep and 10kg weight loss (half way point still 10kg to go) have helped with training and in general.Can't wait for the Run For Ollie in Milltown 10k on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Nules10

wow you have been busy getting fast :) well done looks like you are fighting fit.

Nules10 wrote: »
    wow you have been busy getting fast :) well done looks like you are fighting fit.

Thanks Nules,i've not been very consistant with my log but I have been training very well.i'm running faster now that before my little wobbler!.its been very buch a case of getting on with things which I was not doing early in my recovery.

Decided to try another 10k my last was around 40.20ish in Borrisokane in March.i marked Milltown -Run for Ollie on the calendar a few weeks ago after hearing great things about it from some of my running buddies and it is run to support a truly great cause something which is close to my heart.I prepared for the race by cutting back my tough session during and took it relatively easy.i slept well on friday night and had a good breakfast on saturday as the race was not on till 3pm(good call)I arrived a little late so it was a case of registration and straight to warm up.i did a few last minute strides and stretched.OK I'm ready,I think!!the gun goes and I realise I need to get going,the start was a little crazy as many enthusiastic runners flew out of the blocks.i was fairly determined to stick with my plan of 6:10-6:15min/mile pace so when I went thru mile 1 at 5:52 it was time to calm down a bit.i was passed by a guy who I knew was a rock solid 39:0010k man and I made the decision to hang on for dear life and see where that might get me.i felt surprisingly good at this point do I push on I little I got a great spur when going thru 5k in 18:57 and again going thru 8k at 30:55 at this point I was on my own so I held what I had on the last 2k,finishing in a time o 38:43.over the moon-I love this running lark!!

• Advertisement

LSR 16 Miles at 7.38 pace it is a glorious morning in the west,had a rough patch at 9 to 11 miles but finished strong an got back average pace in the last few miles.I plan to do this LSR every 2 weeks and may attempt the national half marathon in Athenry next September.This is my max run as i don,t plan to do any more marathons.Now back to bed!!!!:D:D

Early morning tempo. 8 miles in total 2 warm up 5@6.45-6:50 pace ,1 cool down.It was miserable in the park this morning.this session is becoming more baerable each time I do it

July 13
    Ran this little gem of a race on friday evening in Tullamore.Got there late so was a little rushed and did'nt get much of a warm up.Most of the race was ran in the grounds of Charleville Castle,it included some trails,cross country and the last 2 km on road.There was a large number of runners and a really good buzz.The Harriers always organise their events very well.i got of to a slow start which was just as well as it helped me in the last km when i was struggling ,it was tough going at this stage.My time was 18:25 on my garmin which i was delighted with its great to get a few seconds off each race.I may have to go to 5km therapy becaues i think i'm addicted to them!!!:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

That's an incredible improvement in just a year. You must have been putting in some serious work over the past few months. Fair play.

Saturday 14 July
    Did 5 fast this evening as i was tight for time.1 mile to warm up and cool down 5 miles at 6:43 pace i did my local loop twice,felt my legs heavy over the last mile,

Sunday 15 July
    10 miles at 7:25-7:35 pace Ran early as i had to travel today.

Turesday 17 July
    5 miles easy due to race tommorrow evening - Boston Scientific 5K near Oranmore.Can't wait

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭pgmcpq

That's an incredible comeback over the last 18 months. I think it's well past time, you might have to drop the last part of the log name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭Dory Dory

Just getting caught up on all this super fast running you've bend doing. Wow. Wow wow wow! Really impressive improvements and times. Good for you! :D

18 July 2012 - Another 5k on Wednesday The Boston Scientific 5k held in Maree near Oranmore.I considered giving this a miss on the day as i was belatedley feeling the effects of the Tullamore race on friday.A few of my work friends encouraged
    me to run during the day so i decided to give it a go.I started easy and stayed relaxed till 3k then a guy passed me on a downhill section so i hung on with him for the remainder.When we went thru 4k in 15:02 i knew the pace had been pick up considerably,For some reason i got a new lease of life a proceed to finish in a time of 18:53 (average pace of 6:05)which at 2k was not on the cards.
    I've learned one thing recently,that is i need to take at least one week between races.The combination of fatigue and the tough course ensured a good nights sleep on wednesday.

19 July 2012 - 6 miles at 7:45 pace lovely run in warm evening sun.As usual went too fast.

20 July 2012 - 7 miles at 7:57 pace.I made sure i took it easy tonight as i was feeling tired the last few days.Put some John Coltrane and Stan Getz on the iPod:cool: (surprisingly good running music)and headed out for a chilled out run.

Ran the Hodson Bay 5k, Athlone in aid of Downs Syndrome Ireland yesterday.I put in a tough week including a 4 x 800m hill session and considered giving it a miss.I was glad i didn't,the day was very breezy and wet which was a bit of a bummer,the course was fairly tough in particular the long hill at 2k to 3k but was a great work out.I pushed as much as i could but the legs were a little unresponsive when i tried to have a go at 3k.So it was a case of finishing out and enjoying the remainder of the race which i did.My finishing time was 19.07 which i was happy with,i was delighted to finish 5th overall.Sometimes i have to pinch myself when i'm racing when i consider my where i was this time last year...12:00 min/miles.There was a lovely BBQ after the race which was delicious, great day all round.Well done to all the organisers.

Sunday 29th - 2 miles easy recovery run 8:00 pace.

Monday 30th - 14 miles - 13.1 miles in 1:37'03" good steady run 7:29 pace

Tuesday 31st - 6 miles - 5 miles tempo at 6:52 pace 34'22"

Wednesday 1st Aug 9 miles at 7:51 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Inspirational log runonewon! All the best - you're flying! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭jcsmum

Your log is truly inspirational, amazing pace and race results.
    Just a thought, you may want to change the title of your log :)

davenewt wrote: »
    Inspirational log runonewon! All the best - you're flying! :)

Thanks Dave,training is coming together at the moment,really enjoying my running :)

jcsmum wrote: »
    Your log is truly inspirational, amazing pace and race results.
    Just a thought, you may want to change the title of your log :)

Hi jcsmum, i plan change my training log name if I'm still going well next year.

August 3rd - 8 Miles on trails at 7.50 pace in the torrential rain, very difficult to run through the mud and water, if it keeps raining like this we will be in great shape for the Cross-Country season ahead .I had planned to run a 5k this evening but had some family stuff to do and the race would have been a bit of a rush as it was over an hour drive to get there.i hope to race on Monday instead.Tried out my new Solomon trail runners today,they feel like I've had them for months-great shoes.This is my 4th or 5th pair of Solomon's and they just keep getting better.I wish they would do a good road shoe.

• Advertisement

August 4rd - 9 Miles on trails at 7.35 pace again in the torrential rain and thunder and lightening.A really brutal day in the west the whole
    place is waterlogged

It's staggering to think how far you've come. Truly an inspiration. :)

Ran the unusual distance of 6k today in Dunmore.This race was ran on a challenging undulating course. Can anyone suggest some flat fast courses as every race i have ran recently have been tough going.This race was really enjoyable in terms of atmosphere and local support nearly every half km there was a table with water for the runner,out of courtesy i grabbed one!!I had a good start and went the first km in 3:45.with that in mind i started to catch up to the main group at 3 km still maintaining the same pace.I was in hold on mode for the next 2.5km as this is where the worst of the long drags and hills were.When i glanced at my watch i was delighted to see i was not losing too much time so i pushed on as much as i could for the remainder.I finished in a time of 22'14" - 3:41 per/k(5:59min/mile)
    and in 4th position overall.A great day especially as all my family were there at the finish line cheering their old man on..super day

So happy for you on this fantastic performance and day. :D

The "Streets" is on this evening.I've not ran this race since 1993,so i can't wait to get going.That day i ran the 8k in 25:55 today i hope to get home in 30:55ish.This is a huge participative race many people use as the annual run.the buzz is great at the start....roll on 7 o clock

Best of luck to you!!! And have fun!!! :)

Ran the "Streets" last evening.I was feeling pretty good all day and my friend drove which helped.I brazenly stood close to the front of the 2000 plus field,just behind the fast guys.Why not!!.At 7 we hit the road,i got a great start and got in to a steady pace from the off.i stuck with a group of solid runners who i'm getting to know from all the races i've been running lately.We went thru 4k at 14:24 which was too quick for me so i calmed down a little as i was feeling the pace at this point.I did'nt want to mess up the run by fading badly in the second half.Once i changed pace i felt much more comfortable and pushed on down the prom to the finish in 30:21.absolutely delighted cant wait for my next race.

15 Sept
    Decided on Thursday I was going to do this race as a hard training run.I have been pushing up the miles since the Streets of Galway in August,i even did a few early 10 milers during our family holiday in Spain.
    I got to Athlone early as i had to enter on the day.For a first time race there was a massive crowd and a really great buzz.I popped a gel 10 mins before the start and felt i was ready for the off.
    My plan was to run conservatively for the first 9 miles and then hang on for dear life with a view to running under 90mins,not very scientific but it's the best i could come up with.Surprising i felt really good once i made my way through the huge crowd at the start.I got to 5k at 19:15 which was a little fast ,my conservative race plan had just gone out the window!.We proceeded to go thru 10k at 39:49,so the hanging on bit of plan kicked in early at 8 miles i was feeling the pain.I was way ahead of my planned race time which was a great confidence boost knowing i had some time in the bank when i inevitably blew up.from now on i was concentrating on getting to the next mile marker,and wondering if or when will i have a bad spell.Luckily i was able to maintain a solid pace of 6:29 to the finishline in a time of 1:25:01.Delighted with the run 5 mins faster expected.
    Hopefully this race will become a regular event on the running calender as it was run so well.this is a really fast course even in blustery conditions like today.Now it's time to have my Erlinger!!

You are amazing! Congratulations, and very well done! :)

• Advertisement

25 Sept -
    17.6 miles in the wind and rain at 7:23 aveage pace what a horror of a night even my head torch started to fade with the rain.Absolutely shattered after this run,proof if it was needed that a hard marathon is out of reach this year.It's great to sit down after a long run with that tired but delighted feeling.Even Supa Leeds are winning against Everton,the perfect evening:D:D

Advertisement