Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would Simon young be a welcome return to Irish radio ?

Options
  • 26-09-2011 1:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭

Just watching the Brendan o Connor show on the tv. And he was going through all the very rough times hes had. But he said at the end he was ready to go back to radio. Would he be a good addition to Irish radio again ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Have to admit, I never liked him on the radio before.. he used to annoy me..

However, I wish the guy well.. He was courageous to go on TV and give the interviews that he has given with regard to his mental problems... And he seems like a genuinely nice guy... I'm never one to kick a man when he's down, and I hope that he gets a gig somewhere and things pick up for him..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

You can disregard whether he should be given a radio gig, or whether he would be capable of handling a regular slot.

The reality is that if he's on a prime time TV show talking about being ready to come back to radio, there is some PD in the country who will be willing to cash in on that. So, unless he's picky about where he works, I'd put money on him returning to the airwaves ASAP.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭lmao

I think he would be warmly welcomed back on our airwaves by the listeners but i honestly can't see a radio station taking a punt on him. He still looks a little fragile to be thrust back into radio work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

He was on the temp licensed Hot Country and did well.

Whether he'd be able for a commercial operation and all that goes on would be another story.

If and when he makes a comeback, it should be at the right time for him - otherwise it could trigger the issue again, which would be pretty rough going for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

he neither looks nor sounds right at the moment , your never the same after something like that , sad but true

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

I didn't hear what he was like on the radio when he made that comeback on the temp station but he looks like a shell of the man he used to be. I heard the interview he did on the John Murray show a while ago and saw a bit of his appearance the other night. He seemed to be rambling a bit I thought. Poor guy.

On the other hand, perhaps some local station might be prepared to take a punt and hire him. Most people over the age of 30 or so will remember him from his 2fm days - there's instant brand recognition for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

Firetrap wrote: »
    I didn't hear what he was like on the radio when he made that comeback on the temp station but he looks like a shell of the man he used to be. I heard the interview he did on the John Murray show a while ago and saw a bit of his appearance the other night. He seemed to be rambling a bit I thought. Poor guy.

On the other hand, perhaps some local station might be prepared to take a punt and hire him. Most people over the age of 30 or so will remember him from his 2fm days - there's instant brand recognition for you.

In fairness, when you listen to what he was discussing the other night, I'd imagine it's very difficult in itself never mind the fact he's in front of a studio audience. I'd imagine that he'd be a different man behind the mic in a quiet studio just playing some tracks. He's a pro after all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

irishh_bob wrote: »
    he neither looks nor sounds right at the moment , your never the same after something like that , sad but true

He sounded good on the radio, he looked very nervous on tv.

I'd love to hear him back on the radio, some of the knobs currently getting a gig bemuse me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

He sounded good on the radio, he looked very nervous on tv.

I'd love to hear him back on the radio, some of the knobs currently getting a gig bemuse me.

nice guy , personal tragedy what befelled him but inviting him back would be an act of pity rather than anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭twinklerunner

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Just watching the Brendan o Connor show on the tv. And he was going through all the very rough times hes had. But he said at the end he was ready to go back to radio. Would he be a good addition to Irish radio again ?

Yawn of the century I reckon. His 'Jimmy' character wasn't even slightly funny IMHO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭amovingstatue

Just seen the rte interview, thinking back on watching the telly as a kid, the times he was on the den were great.

I'd say a lot of people would have been shocked and saddened to hear about what he has gone through. Whether he's ready for radio again is something for him to decide and if he can make a go of it I think many would be happy for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd like to see him back on the radio. I was thinking watching the interview that he'd be good on 4FM. He was good back in the day. The problem was that he got over exposed between the Den, Jimmy (who wasn't funny) and all his varied PAs. Having him on doing a 2-3 hour show would be good though on some radio station. I was very sorry to hear his story. He deserves a second chance I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

squonk wrote: »
    He deserves a second chance I think.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

JuanJose wrote: »
    squonk wrote: »
    He deserves a second chance I think.

+1
    Sorry for bringing up an old topic but the last post was a year yesterday and as far as I'm aware nothing has happened on Simon young yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭DenMan

He is up on twitter.

https://twitter.com/djSimonYoung

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'd like to hear him on newstalk. I'd say there's a slot just for him on talk radio. I hope he gets a slot soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

bbability wrote: »
    I'd like to hear him on newstalk. I'd say there's a slot just for him on talk radio. I hope he gets a slot soon.

He would be great in bobbys slot on sunday morning

From experience no one in business wants to hear anything about business on a sunday morning:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

With the greatest of respect to the Op and simon young himself, what is the fascination with this particular dj? The guy has endured awful health problems and i presume if he could work fulltime he would. What I cant understand is why his name constantly comes up these days, young was a popular dj who was around at the same time as people like barry lang, peter collins yet theres never a mention of them whether or not they currently work in the industry or not. I can only resume its a case of rose tinted glasses which distorts peoples' perception and appreciation of yesteryear. Pat courtney was hailed as one of the best ever on irish radio yet since his return theres been a muted response by listeners. In truth radio has moved on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

heybaby wrote: »
    With the greatest of respect to the Op and simon young himself, what is the fascination with this particular dj? The guy has endured awful health problems and i presume if he could work fulltime he would. What I cant understand is why his name constantly comes up these days, young was a popular dj who was around at the same time as people like barry lang, peter collins yet theres never a mention of them whether or not they currently work in the industry or not. I can only resume its a case of rose tinted glasses which distorts peoples' perception and appreciation of yesteryear. Pat courtney was hailed as one of the best ever on irish radio yet since his return theres been a muted response by listeners. In truth radio has moved on.

Yes there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,972 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Lapin wrote: »

That is so 3 years ago :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement