Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Eve Traditions :-)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Oh yes! We got a catnip egg for our cats and Fat F*ck (the 7kilo lad) chewed through the box and ate the entire thing. Then he lay on the floor playing with the legs of the kitchen chair for about an hour. I actually think he was stoned. He may or may not have had the munchies after. It's hard to tell with Fat F*ck, he never stops eating... :o

Omg that is hilarious he must really have wanted that food lol :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    Omg that is hilarious he must really have wanted that food lol :)

He always wants food. He's large and he seems to have food dementia. Feed him and then 10 minutes later if you open the bag of food again...he'll appear, screeching :pac: feeeeeed meeeeeeee :D Will tear open the bin at any opportunity too. He's not really fat though, he's "curvy", my little bear :):)

Always light a candle and place it in a window on Christmas Eve for animals that we have lost. And I have a decoration with our past dog's name on it. That goes on the top because she's our angel :)

Always light a candle and place it in a window on Christmas Eve for animals that we have lost. And I have a decoration with our past dog's name on it. That goes on the top because she's our angel :)

That is so sweet I'm dreading the day when I have to say goodbye to one of my 4 legged babies !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,245 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

That's lovely, might just do that this year for our little baby who went to sleep on 9th July :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Witchie

Not a Christmas eve tradition but a now 3 year old tradition in the run up to Christmas in our house. My sister lives in Scotland and my mum and dad are usually in America until about a week before Christmas so the last few years, when my sister flies in for Christmas, my mum and I drive up to the airport (with our big big sign with her as an elf on it and flashing lights) and collect her, then head into the city to have a girly day shopping and stay overnight and shop again the next day before heading for the schticks again for the mayhem of our house on Christmas day.

We booked our hotel last night and we have been "eeeek"ing all day today with excitement. Love Christmas!!!!!!

Oh and have just signed up to Elfster.com to sort out our secret santa! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

We have a copy of "The night before Xmas" here that I bought on the eldest's first Xmas & we read it every Xmas eve before they go to bed. I make them hot chocolate with peppermint canes & whipped cream, we turn off everything & all sit in a circle on the floor & then I read it to them by the light of the tree & the now dying fire [because it has to be out so santa can come down the chimney]...

In my parent's we used to open one gift [not santa, because he hadn't been yet] each on Xmas eve before heading to bed.

I also spend most of Xmas eve doing the ham in either Cider or Coke, as well as all the other *ahem* "stuff" that needs doing...

Witchie wrote: »
    Not a Christmas eve tradition but a now 3 year old tradition in the run up to Christmas in our house. My sister lives in Scotland and my mum and dad are usually in America until about a week before Christmas so the last few years, when my sister flies in for Christmas, my mum and I drive up to the airport (with our big big sign with her as an elf on it and flashing lights) and collect her, then head into the city to have a girly day shopping and stay overnight and shop again the next day before heading for the schticks again for the mayhem of our house on Christmas day.

We booked our hotel last night and we have been "eeeek"ing all day today with excitement. Love Christmas!!!!!!

That's lovely :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Aputernut

Our Christmas traditions have changed over the yrs. when we were a younger married couple still living in the NE and with lot's of family, Christmas Eve was a huge gift exchange and party at our house. But now much older and living in FL. no family here, DH=dear hubby and I enjoy decorating, lighting up outside for others to enjoy, last yr. we had about 600 vehicles drive by, and the inside is decorated and lit for us to enjoy and oh boy do we ever enjoy!! I still make a Xmas ham that evening but not the huge buffet, I used to make and no more baking for weeks prior, those days are over. but in our own way we still enjoy, plus Christmas evening we go to our favorite big dinner theater and then the buffet is on! plus an awesome Broadway Xmas show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Aputernut wrote: »
    Our Christmas traditions have changed over the yrs. when we were a younger married couple still living in the NE and with lot's of family, Christmas Eve was a huge gift exchange and party at our house. But now much older and living in FL. no family here, DH=dear hubby and I enjoy decorating, lighting up outside for others to enjoy, last yr. we had about 600 vehicles drive by, and the inside is decorated and lit for us to enjoy and oh boy do we ever enjoy!! I still make a Xmas ham that evening but not the huge buffet, I used to make and no more baking for weeks prior, those days are over. but in our own way we still enjoy, plus Christmas evening we go to our favorite big dinner theater and then the buffet is on! plus an awesome Broadway Xmas show.

Sounds amazing, such a lovely thing to do decorating outside for others sometimes it's just the little things, maybe visiting the outside of your house is anther families Christmas tradition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Brilliant tradition if I am ever lucky enough to have children or a daughter I would love to do something like that, enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭allym

Yaaaay Christmas :)

SarahLil wrote: »
    Brilliant tradition if I am ever lucky enough to have children or a daughter I would love to do something like that, enjoy

It is lovely. Last year my sister dressed up as an elf and walked all around Dublin in her costume. Little kids faces were lighting up everywhere we went! We met my son who lives in Dublin for Dinner and then went back to our hotel and drank a bottle of bubbles, ate some chocs and talked and laughed all night then got up and hit the shops again the next day.

Soooo excited!!!! Roll on the 21st of Dec when we get to do it again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

It is lovely. Last year my sister dressed up as an elf and walked all around Dublin in her costume. Little kids faces were lighting up everywhere we went! We met my son who lives in Dublin for Dinner and then went back to our hotel and drank a bottle of bubbles, ate some chocs and talked and laughed all night then got up and hit the shops again the next day.

Soooo excited!!!! Roll on the 21st of Dec when we get to do it again!

This sounds just so lovely!

Our 'big day' is Christmas Eve, and always has been. All the family, together with assorted wives, husbands, children etc, gather at the 'home' house, (i.e where my parents live). :).
    It's absolutely my favourite day. Everyone in good humour, catching up with one another, the kids looking forward to Santa, aww! We don't have kids, ourselves, (not by choice, just how things turned out), but we love seeing all our lovely nieces and nephews, and hearing about what Santa will bring!

My sister and I usually start Christmas eve at the hairdressers then we help with the veg prep and I do the ham (despite being a veggie!) and we all (my parents, my younger brother, younger sister and my 2 adult sons) go to our wee town for a Christmas walk around and all go for dinner in the evening in a local hotel before back to my house for mulled wine and home baked cookies while watching a movie like Elf.

Then early to bed to see what Santa brings! :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

i like to get fluthered on xmas eve, recall nothing, then be too sick to eat the dinner on xmas day, then stay in bed for the day so i am fresh for the pub again on st Stephens day

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

My husband and I don't have a lot of Christmas traditions as where we are on Christmas eve, and who we're with, can vary. But we do always do two things: go for a special lunch in a nice restaurant and have a bottle of bubbles, and attend a carol service in the evening, both of which we love. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭jezzer

i think xmas eve should be a national holiday and everywhere should be shut

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

jezzer wrote: »
    i think xmas eve should be a national holiday and everywhere should be shut

Ah no, there's such a buzz around on Christmas Eve. All that would happen would be the 23rd becomes what we now know as Christmas Eve!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I treat it as a final day of preparation and it has a sort of austere, anticipation feeling: I clean the house.
    Lentil soup and bacon for dinner (because from here on in, there will be festive food for weeks!)
    At dusk, light a candle beside the crib and put a lighted candle in each window. Christmas is now ON! Open a box of chocolates and pour a drink!
    My husband often puts an early little present on my pillow, too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

My sister and I start the Christmas season by watching Titanic together. :o

I think I need to start a new tradition with my boyfriend. Might steal some ideas from this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Usually me, my mum and dad and my brothers get up early, go to town to do some shopping. Come home at around 2pm or go out for dinner and come home at 4/5. If we don't go out we get a chinese. Then we do our kris-kindle.

Even though were all old enough now i'm 19 youngest is 15, my mum still does "Santa". I got a job today in retail so while i may miss town this year, i will be able to buy my parents and brothers decent presents this year.

I think I will ask for Christmas Eve off this year. The day is half gone by the time you get home, and there is always so much to do! :)

Not a Christmas eve tradition but one that means a lot to myself and mr glitzgirl is that one weekend in December (usually the second weekend in Dec ) , we arrange for the kiddies to be minded and we go up early on the luas to Dublin, and just stroll around. Look at the lights, get a nice lunch, pick up small random things that catch our attention. Definitely visit the Disney store too :D I love being out watching people rush around panic buying, knowing I have my shopping well done it gives me a chance to stand back and actually enjoy the atmosphere minus the stress ! We don't go up to Dublin that often on days out together without the kids so it's become a real special treat for us and our chance to have some couple time admiring the lights etc. :) can't wait !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,087 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Moved back to Ireland this year so its gonna be a bit different to the last few years!

The tradition abroad was very unlike here, so we have been talking about it since June! The OH has come up with a little idea for Christmas Eve. She wants to make Christmas Eve boxes. The basic idea is that the three of us (mammy, daddy and 7 year old daughter) get a box that evening. All wrapped. Our daughters box has been decided. Inside will be Christmas pyjamas, a Christmas hot water bottle, a Christmas DVD and a Terrys chocolate orange. The boxes will be presented around 5pm or so. So our daughter can put on the PJs, watch the movie and scoff the chocolate orange. Then bed with the reindeer hot water bottle.

We are still working on the contents of Mammy and Daddys boxes.:D I'd be happy with a brandy, cheese board and cigar, but I'm not sure that will work!

I have so much to do on Christmas Eve. I'll have to clean the cats house and walk the dogs. I'll be making a huge turkey pudding for all the animals and cooking a leg of lamb for the neighbours dog (couldn't get it into the oven last Christmas day because of the turkey!). Also midnight mass and the usual mad rush of wrapping presents and then the mulled wine with Dad. I'll miss the ham sandwiches this year as I have given up meat, trying to find an alternative!

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭onasis

I have so much to do on Christmas Eve. I'll have to clean the cats house and walk the dogs. I'll be making a huge turkey pudding for all the animals and cooking a leg of lamb for the neighbours dog (couldn't get it into the oven last Christmas day because of the turkey!). Also midnight mass and the usual mad rush of wrapping presents and then the mulled wine with Dad. I'll miss the ham sandwiches this year as I have given up meat, trying to find an alternative!

I'm interested to know how your make the turkey pudding - I think my dogs would love it,

onasis wrote: »
    I'm interested to know how your make the turkey pudding - I think my dogs would love it,

It's always a hit with the dogs and cats (and occasionally drunk people too lol).

Throw a few packs of turkey mince into a basin and grate in a couple of potatoes and parsnips. The parsnips apparently help to sweeten it :) Then mix in a few eggs and a jar of Bovril. I don't have actual measurements but you kind of know as you go how much is needed. Then grease a big baking tin and cook in the oven for around 40 minutes.

Although, I am not sure but I seem to recall there being something in the news about giving turkey to dogs and pancreatitis. Never affected mine but you could look into it. I did the same recipe one year with beef mince (there was a run on turkey mince and I couldn't get any) and the result was pretty much the same :)

It's always a hit with the dogs and cats (and occasionally drunk people too lol).

Throw a few packs of turkey mince into a basin and grate in a couple of potatoes and parsnips. The parsnips apparently help to sweeten it :) Then mix in a few eggs and a jar of Bovril. I don't have actual measurements but you kind of know as you go how much is needed. Then grease a big baking tin and cook in the oven for around 40 minutes.

Although, I am not sure but I seem to recall there being something in the news about giving turkey to dogs and pancreatitis. Never affected mine but you could look into it. I did the same recipe one year with beef mince (there was a run on turkey mince and I couldn't get any) and the result was pretty much the same :)

Thanks for sharing! I may have to try that this year for my dogs sounds like they would love it! although to be fair one particular fat little terrier here will just have to get a smaller portion before he implodes on himself :pac:

• Advertisement

Grandeeod wrote: »
    Moved back to Ireland this year so its gonna be a bit different to the last few years!

The tradition abroad was very unlike here, so we have been talking about it since June! The OH has come up with a little idea for Christmas Eve. She wants to make Christmas Eve boxes. The basic idea is that the three of us (mammy, daddy and 7 year old daughter) get a box that evening. All wrapped. Our daughters box has been decided. Inside will be Christmas pyjamas, a Christmas hot water bottle, a Christmas DVD and a Terrys chocolate orange. The boxes will be presented around 5pm or so. So our daughter can put on the PJs, watch the movie and scoff the chocolate orange. Then bed with the reindeer hot water bottle.

We are still working on the contents of Mammy and Daddys boxes.:D I'd be happy with a brandy, cheese board and cigar, but I'm not sure that will work!

I love doing this with my family too! It's such a nice tradition and one that kids will always remember. :) our elf (the elf on the shelf ) leaves on Christmas eve and always leaves a good bye / christmas box for mammy daddy and (now ) both boys ! :) we just fill ours with things we can use as a family new pjs, slippers, maybe a little mug filled with drinking chocolate and marshmallows, and a dvd we can watch as a family. Getting all excited thinking about it! Good luck with the boxes ! :)

Advertisement