Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beginners rugby for adult in late 20's

Options
  • 25-09-2011 5:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi, I'm a 28 yr old male based in Dublin city and am eager to play rugby for the first time. I've played football and hurling plus lots of tag rugby but think full contact rugby would be the best sport for me. I'm 6' 1 broad build, quick and pretty fit!

Any ideas if there are teams looking for new sports people to join rugby squads in north/south Dublin. Wud be happy to join something in the next few weeks...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Wollwead

Yeah there's plenty of clubs around looking for bodies all the time just from word of mouth though both Clondalkin and Tallaght RFCs are both looking for new players at any level so no experience necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Clontarf J4/J5 have lads who join every year with no prior experience playing rugby. We had a lad last year who was 34 I think. Very welcoming bunch of lads and you shouldnt have a problem fitting in.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

At 28, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've not played much before, but at 6' 7", I think I'd be useful enough to someone :)

I assume I'd be better off giving someone a call before randomly turning up to training?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

dregin wrote: »
    At 28, I'm pretty much in the same boat. I've not played much before, but at 6' 7", I think I'd be useful enough to someone :)

I assume I'd be better off giving someone a call before randomly turning up to training?

The Leinster Rugby team are having tryouts for new applicants.

The only condition is that you must be 6 '6'' or over. No experience or even fitness necessary. I'd say there's a ton of lads going for it, so you won't be alone.

No link but do a google search and you might find it.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

The only condition is that you must be 6 '6'' or over. No experience or even fitness necessary. I'd say there's a ton of lads going for it, so you won't be alone.

I practically had my boots on and was half way to Donnybrook before I saw that there's an age limit of 23 :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

If anyone wants the number for the coach in clontarf pm me and i'll send it on to you.

Otherwise it's quite normal to arrive down and ask where the J4/J5 team train, you'll be pointed in the right direction and once you introduce yourself to anyone and say you're new you'll be made to feel welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

I thought you were just making a joke but you were serious.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8490.php

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I thought you were just making a joke but you were serious.

http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/newsroom/8490.php
    Ulster did the same thing in june for 15-25 year olds. It always gives me a giggle when I see anything about either program

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Stephen_89

Hi all,
    I am looking to get back into rugby, I played at under age for a bit but stopped with an injury. I am 22 and looking for a club in Dublin City to ease back into the sport. Any ideas? I'd be looking to start after the summer. Cheers for any info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Stephen_89 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I am looking to get back into rugby, I played at under age for a bit but stopped with an injury. I am 22 and looking for a club in Dublin City to ease back into the sport. Any ideas? I'd be looking to start after the summer. Cheers for any info!
    Where in the city are you based?
    Theres a few members from diff dublin clubs on here, theyll be able to help. If you are near donnybrook id reccommend bective rangers. Very good club

• Advertisement

ormond lad wrote: »
    Where in the city are you based?
    Theres a few members from diff dublin clubs on here, theyll be able to help. If you are near donnybrook id reccommend bective rangers. Very good club

sorry I am based in D14, clonskeagh, might be moving to Ranelagh soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭its_phil

sorry I am based in D14, clonskeagh, might be moving to Ranelagh soon though.

PM Mikedragon32 and he could help you out with joining Stilorgan RFC if your interested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

We train and play at the CUS grounds on Bird Ave. Drop me a line if you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭rOBeRt frETt

a mate of mine just started playing rugby again in his mid 30's , he had been meaning to go back playing for ages, when he finally did he was delighted and he learned a good life lesson too- they only thing that stops you from doing anything is your own neurosis- after all he says - it's just a game of rugby. have fun!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 cullend2

Hi all,
    I'm pushing 23, and thinking of taking up rugby again.
    Just wondering how clubs go about teaching new guys the technical aspects of the game? In any rugby I've played, I've played in the back row, and based on my build and skillset I'd probably be playing there again. I'd be nervous about being thrown in the deep end in terms of scrums and lineouts without knowing exactly what I'm doing. I can't imagine coaches would bring everyone back to step by step set pieces for the sake of one new guy?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

cullend2 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm pushing 23, and thinking of taking up rugby again.
    Just wondering how clubs go about teaching new guys the technical aspects of the game? In any rugby I've played, I've played in the back row, and based on my build and skillset I'd probably be playing there again. I'd be nervous about being thrown in the deep end in terms of scrums and lineouts without knowing exactly what I'm doing. I can't imagine coaches would bring everyone back to step by step set pieces for the sake of one new guy?
    If you join up now you probably won't get involved in games till the new season in september. IE you will join now do some training and get used to things fitness wise and stuff and then you will break for the offseason. Then you will come back in early August and go through preseason and everyone will will be running through new things as beginners since there has been a break for a month or two.

Anyway if you are joining up you will probably play J3/J4/J5 and as such they will probably have a few new players in the new season.

We train and play at the CUS grounds on Bird Ave. Drop me a line if you like.

Hi guys, thanks for the help, I've PMd mike! Bird Ave is pretty ideal for the area i'm in. cheers.

hi mike, I can't seem to reply to your pm. does training at bird ave. start this thursday, the 5th july?
    stephen.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

Guys

I play with Tallaght Rfc, we are always looking for new players, we are a progressive club and will have 2 teams this year playing in Leinster League and the Metro J5

We start training next Monday 9th July on our home pitch in tymon park

all informations needed can be found here

http://www.tallaghtrugby.com/

otherwise PM and i will answer any questions u have

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Legits

hi mike, I can't seem to reply to your pm. does training at bird ave. start this thursday, the 5th july?
    stephen.

Yo Stephen,
    Im playing with Stillorgan. I think training is officially starting on Thursday the 12/07/12 not confirmed yet though.

There maybe some tip rugby or something this Thursday depends on numbers/weather I can let you know its a good way to meet a few lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Heuston123

do u have any numbers for that rugby club by any chance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

I would second the recommendations for Clontarf, Tallaght, Stillorgan. Loads of people take up rugby late in their twenties and loads who are cr*p at it try to be referees :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Heuston123

can i just walk in at or wats da story. anybody locate me to were it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 murr15

Any clubs near Rathmines that would be open to new inexperienced players?

Any clubs for a novice near rathmines?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

murr15 wrote: »

CYM is your nearest club and are up in Terenure beside Tesco. We are on Facebook; drop us a message and we'll sort you.

CYM is your nearest club and are up in Terenure beside Tesco. We are on Facebook; drop us a message and we'll sort you.

Just dropped ye a line there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

Find one that has a division 10 or 11 team. Anything higher and you'll be picking splinters out of your bum all year. Terenure, Stillorgan or Marys fit that bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,297 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Any clubs for a novice near rathmines?

CYM or Stillorgan would be a good shout I would think and as someone says get a club with a div 10 or 11 team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Bladeserver

Hi Lads, I am a beginner. Looking to start playing. Living in Glasnevin and have a car?

Advertisement