Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

strategy games

Options
  • 24-09-2011 6:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

I like most stuff from the command and conquer universe-what other games are like these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭Da Bounca

Starcraft 2 has a big following

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Civilisation 5 is like what happens when you inject yourself with heroin, but the syringe is a computer game and the heroin is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭ríomhaire

Universe at War is an RTS made by a lot of ex-C&C developers. The MP is terribly unbalanced but the SP is a lot of fun.

As a personal preference I also absolutely adore Company of Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Definitely check out Starcraft 2 if you like C&C.

Theres also Dawn of War, Total War , Company of Heroes.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Total war games are on sale on steam. go grab it while its there m8.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

company of heros

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭ThunderApple

check out Starcraft 2. I cannot stop playing it. And I have so much to do..... aaargh, I hate it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

What platform ?

If you have a ps3 valkyria chronicles is a masterpiece to play

What platform ?
    If he was playing C&C on anything other than a PC I feel sorry for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Rise of Nations

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

ríomhaire wrote: »
    If he was playing C&C on anything other than a PC I feel sorry for him.

I actually lold:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Definetly SC2, if you like C&C

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

SC2 for sure, but personally i suck at it so i stay well away from multiplayer.
    My favourite strategy right now is Civ 5 simply fantastic game.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Dcully wrote: »
    SC2 for sure, but personally i suck at it so i stay well away from multiplayer.

SC2 is briliant game, but if you want to be any good at it, you got to quit real life and any other game you play.

i just could not handle it... if you dont play for 2-3 days, then when you come back you become a door mat...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Dcully wrote: »

On a slight side note, is Civ 5 completely turn based? Or is it more like Age of Empires, in so far that it's all to yourself and when the fighting starts it turns turn-based?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

On a slight side note, is Civ 5 completely turn based? Or is it more like Age of Empires, in so far that it's all to yourself and when the fighting starts it turns turn-based?
    Completely turn based.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Booo...

Oh yeah and to mention something I'd totally forgotten: Advance Wars is a great series. There's four of them, two for the GBA, two for the DS. They're turn based strategies. All sides have the same units but you choose your commanding officer. The COs affect units stats and also have special abilities. Eg Sami is the CO who's focused on capturing and infantry. Her infantry are stronger and her transport units move one extra square per turn and her troops capture towns/enemy bases faster. Her superpower allows you to capture any objective in one turn. The balance is pretty damn awful to the point where more than half of the COs are considered to be overpowered in multiplayer but the story mode and challenge mode are a hell of a lot of fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Used love setting up huge island skirmish maps on empire earth and having all out war with 3-4 AI opponents. The Sea battles were great and you could spend a whole day on it. There was about 20 or more ages\era's to advance to. there was always one of the ai's that didn't advance as quick as the others and you'd be attacking them with WW2 bombers\tanks\plane and they'd have knights and old galleons.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if you want a more slow paced methodical game, check out supreme commander

I had great fun slowly slowly slowly playing the campaign

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,147 ✭✭✭mise

I'm loving Civ 5 at the moment. I'd also recommend checking out RUSE

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Used love setting up huge island skirmish maps on empire earth and having all out war with 3-4 AI opponents. The Sea battles were great and you could spend a whole day on it. There was about 20 or more ages\era's to advance to. there was always one of the ai's that didn't advance as quick as the others and you'd be attacking them with WW2 bombers\tanks\plane and they'd have knights and old galleons.

Sorry but what game are you talking about there :o?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Ethan.Saaris

Sorry but what game are you talking about there :o?

It's Empire Earth, it's in the first phrase :)

Oh, and I totally like the Age of Empires series - still playing Rise of Rome with a friend, almost daily - and the Cossacks series.

Age of Empires 1 IS the ruling strategy game. One of the first, also.

Not to mention Red Alert and Warcraft 2.

Yeah, got me, old time gamer here, hehe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Age of Empires Online is out now. Very similar to the C&C games.

Age of Empires Online is out now. Very similar to the C&C games.

I don't like it. It's that low-poly trend and the "fun" features. I want history and immersion, not "fun".

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

It's Empire Earth, it's in the first phrase :)

Oh, and I totally like the Age of Empires series - still playing Rise of Rome with a friend, almost daily - and the Cossacks series.

Age of Empires 1 IS the ruling strategy game. One of the first, also.

Not to mention Red Alert and Warcraft 2.

Yeah, got me, old time gamer here, hehe.

I went back and replayed Empire Earth 2 the other day, still quality.

Rise of Nations is a similar game which came out at the time, I loved the world domination mode.

They borrowed that game mode for Warhammer 40K: Dark Crusade on PC a few years later, another great game.

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Rise of Nations is a similar game which came out at the time, I loved the world domination mode.

Rise of Nations: finished that game. Loved the steampunk addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Sins of a solar empire with the starwars or star trek mods was epic. another one where you could generate a massive random maps and spend hours on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

starcraft 2
    age of empires 2 <-- clearly the best strategy game for multiplayer ever made
    civ 3,4,5 <-- 4 being the best, 5 the latest and pretty different than the others.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

starcraft 2
    age of empires 2 <-- clearly the best strategy game for multiplayer ever made
    civ 3,4,5 <-- 4 being the best, 5 the latest and pretty different than the others.

if you're a talentless bitch, sure.

Advertisement