Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help muscles after workout?

Options
  • 23-09-2011 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

Hi all.

I'm about to start an intensive 8 week training course. I mainly hope to lose weight, and I'm not pushed about building muscle. I might try a protein shake a day, but I hear there is stuff you can take at night that will help your muscles recover after a workout. I sometimes play football and then have sore legs the next day, it would be nice to stop that!

I'm new to this supplement business, and would appreciate any advice! Thanks! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Do you mean casein?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Thesheriff4

ripcord wrote: »
    Hi all.

I'm about to start an intensive 8 week training course. I mainly hope to lose weight, and I'm not pushed about building muscle. I might try a protein shake a day, but I hear there is stuff you can take at night that will help your muscles recover after a workout. I sometimes play football and then have sore legs the next day, it would be nice to stop that!

I'm new to this supplement business, and would appreciate any advice! Thanks! :)

Yea casein is a good shake for pre bed time, I personally take the optimum nutrition 100% Gold casein with milk every night and I love, it's quite expensive but I find it's worth the extra €'s for taste, mixability etc..
    With regards to soreness after training if you cool down for 5 minutes, stretch for 5 minutes and have a cold bath/ice bath after your workouts you should have no problems with soreness the next day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭King of Kings

if you're looking for a supplement - I'd recommend ZMA.

you sleep better and wake you refreshed with less soreness.

nutrition X do a product called Hypnos which is a ZMA/Caesin mix you have before bed.

http://www.discountsupplements.ie/protein-nutrition-hypnos-p-140.html

Or you can get ZMA pills

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 robster83

I take the Gold Standard Casein if I have done a heavy workout or a hard training, it works well. For leg soreness the following day, what I have found great is the compression leggings. Put them on straight after your shower and they start circulating the blood around your legs immediately. I usually leave them on for the night and you would not believe the difference they make the next day with regard to leg soreness. I uses the 2XU ones, they're an Aussie brand, there's not much difference between them and the Skins brand. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

If you get leg soreness then squat and deadlift for the next 3 or 4 days, take a break for a day or 2 and start your program. You won't have sore legs because you get 'used' to training (there's a science behind it as someone pointed out here before, some for of acid gets depleted afaik (don't think it's lactic, some other kind)). You may have a slight stiffness after football but nothing much tbh.

I can safely say that casein WILL NOT prevent DOMS. It just won't. ZMA also won't prevent it. I've never tried the compression leggings so am not in a position to comment on those.

• Advertisement

jive wrote: »

I can safely say that casein WILL NOT prevent DOMS. It just won't. ZMA also won't prevent it. I've never tried the compression leggings so am not in a position to comment on those.

nobody claimed they would.

BUt ZMA can help you (i did for me) sleep better and wake up less sore - nobody claimed you could eliminate soreness.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭xgtdec

i take 2 packs of animal nitro on leg days and one pack other days, i find the recovery time for my legs is less with the nitro than it is with out!!! worth a try!!??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I take protein with glucose within 30 mins of working out and I never suffer from DOMS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭Jarren

[Quote=[-0-];74592249]I take protein with glucose within 30 mins of working out and I never suffer from DOMS.[/Quote]
    You aren't training hard enough then.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

Chuck Norris doesn’t believe in DOMS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

You aren't training hard enough then.

Doubtful. After each boxing session I'm shaking and can barely drive home. I think if i trained 'harder' I would injure myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

OP, If you are looking to lose weight then you don't need to be worrying about takign caesin at night. It won't stop you beign sore.
    [-0-] wrote: »
    Doubtful. After each boxing session I'm shaking and can barely drive home. I think if i trained 'harder' I would injure myself.

There could be lots of reasons why you don't get DOMS. But it not because of a protein shake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Banana and a pint of milk..

Mellor wrote: »
    There could be lots of reasons why you don't get DOMS. But it not because of a protein shake.

true,
    but nobody made the claim a shake would. But the claim that a lack of DOMS shows that you aren't training enough is plain ignorant and shows the person making the claim doesn't know what they are talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 738 ✭✭✭gymsoldier

I take protein with glucose within 30 mins of working out and I never suffer from DOMS.

Glucose will spike insulin drawing sugar out of the blood into the cell. (*basic theory). Decrease in blood sugar.

Shaking sounds like hypoglycemia. Caused from low blood sugar.

true,
    but nobody made the claim a shake would.
    That was the OPs question, and while he didn't specifically say it would he pretty clearly implied it.
    But the claim that a lack of DOMS shows that you aren't training enough is plain ignorant and shows the person making the claim doesn't know what they are talking about.
    Yup, I agree.
    That was also nonsense.

gymsoldier wrote: »
    Glucose will spike insulin drawing sugar out of the blood into the cell. (*basic theory). Decrease in blood sugar.
    But won't the spike in blood sugar from the glucose directly be much greater than the decrease from insulin released
    Shaking sounds like hypoglycemia. Caused from low blood sugar.
    Could be. But it could also just be from a hard workout.
    Sometimes I shake a little bit after an intense metcon or kettlebells

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭ripcord

Thanks to everyone for the help! It's great to get advice on this..

So it seems that a casein (ZMA) shake at night is good for sleep, and I hear a protein shake is good in the morning. And apparently there's no magic shake to help with DOMS (ah well!! :))

Just as some background, it's a white collar boxing programme. 8 weeks of tough training classes - every Tuesday, Thurday and Saturday evening. I'm coming from playing astroturf twice a week, so i'm not entirely "un-fit" so to speak.

So my plan is:
    1. Protein shake in morning (flavoured whey powder, milk, ice, banana, other fruit)
    2. "Relatively" low carb diet during the day.
    3. Proper stretching and cold shower after work out.
    4. ZMA shake (ZMA, milk, ice, fruit) at night.
    5. Maybe try some jogging on days in-between classes.

Anything else I could do? Thanks again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

ripcord wrote: »
    4. ZMA shake (ZMA, milk, ice, fruit) at night.

Casein and ZMA are separate things. You are not suppose to take ZMA with dairy.

actually I read up on this also as the nutrition x product is supposed to mix with low fat milk (although I mixed it with water).
    Rang nutrition x before I brought the product and they sent me research from john moores university in liverpool showing that it wasn't the case.
    Actually met the lads involved in that research at a talk (admittedly hosted by nutrition x) in DCU and they seem to know their stuff and are employed by Everton Fc and Munster rugby respectively as nutrition experts (well they were at the time)

although eating a bowl of pudding each night was a pain - I actually prefer zma pills with water

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

actually I read up on this also as the nutrition x product is supposed to mix with low fat milk (although I mixed it with water).
    Rang nutrition x before I brought the product and they sent me research from john moores university in liverpool showing that it wasn't the case.
    Actually met the lads involved in that research at a talk (admittedly hosted by nutrition x) in DCU and they seem to know their stuff and are employed by Everton Fc and Munster rugby respectively as nutrition experts (well they were at the time)

although eating a bowl of pudding each night was a pain - I actually prefer zma pills with water

Would you still have a link to the research?

I'd use Hypnos not for the protein or zinc magnesium but to make a low sugar butterscotch pudding :D

sorry it was to my old work email.
    I'm sure if you ring or email them (nutrition x) I'm sure they'll happily send it on.

Advertisement