Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New in Limerick - give the good things on the city :)

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭kiersm

You can try www.daft.ie if your looking for somewhere & there's a newspaper that is free in Limerick and it normally has loads of places to rent in it some to share & sum on ur own, your choice but they do a digital version, here's the link i hope it works.:)

http://www.limerickpost.ie/

If not the newspaper is called the Limerick post so you can google it.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

@Liza85;

Just a follow-up on concerts/music etc. I dont know what type(s) of music you might enjoy. Many other posters have coomented on some of the good music venues like Dolan's etc.

However, maybe you enjoy classical recitals etc also. Two main venues cater for this:
    www.uch.ie (the univeristy concert hall) cater for many types of music. For instance, Verdi's La Traviata is coming in November.

St Mary's catherdal (dating back to the 1100's) often have lunchtime classical concerts and also do so in the evenings:
    http://www.cathedral.limerick.anglican.org/ (Go to events link on the left hand side of the screen).

Currently there is no cinema directly in the city centre! There are a couple of cinema's in the suburbs catering mainly for standard hollywood blockbusters etc. The belltable (http://www.belltable.ie/) do show arthouse/world cinema films on a regular basis (i think they usually start their programmes around October). And the belltable is in the city centre.

The Hunt museum is a very interesting collection of Irish, European and many other e.g. Greek/Roman historical artifacts: it is a lovely museum and has won a few awards:
    http://www.huntmuseum.com/
    They also frequently have phtographic/ art exhibitions there.

Limerick City (art) Gallery is also a nice place:http://gallery.limerick.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Liza85

I'm a bit more into rock'n'roll, but I will certainly be open on checking out the classical concerts. It would probably be good for me to broaden my cultural horizon !

The Belltable definitely sounds like a something I would want to check out!
    And many thanks on the museum and gallery, they are places that I will look very much forward to see.

I'm postive I'll love Limerick with all the nice and helpful people that seem to live there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Liza85 wrote: »
    I'm a bit more into rock'n'roll, but I will certainly be open on checking out the classical concerts. It would probably be good for me to broaden my cultural horizon !

The Belltable definitely sounds like a something I would want to check out!
    And many thanks on the museum and gallery, they are places that I will look very much forward to see.

I'm postive I'll love Limerick with all the nice and helpful people that seem to live there :)

If you're into rock and roll, we've plenty of that here :) Venues keep changing, but there's a lot of good bands, so you'll always find something to go to!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Last Danish I had was after a nightclub last week - Kept me up all night.....

- Learned my lesson though, no heavy confectionary late at night in future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well looking at pictures of Limerick I can see that it is not as beautiful as Copenhagen but I definitely think it has its charm.

I like going to football matches, watching them, but now I'll have to get into rugby I guess :)
    Living in Copenhagen I just like to use the city, going for walks, drinking coffee with friends, catch a movie or a concert, going out for a drink, shopping. The usual city stuff. I hope that at least a few of those can be done in Limerick, otherwise I need to find myself some new interests :)

uhhhhhhhh, I'll be the first here to actually volunteer to show you around Limerick :):):):):cool::cool::cool::o:o:o
    Just let me know!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Like others have said, you really need a car if you're going to be working in Shannon. Indeed to make the most of the midwest/Ireland in general, you need a car.

Being realistic, Limerick can't compare with a great city like Copenhagen but there's enough going on to enjoy yourself for a while until you get settled.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

LOL.

We got another one fooled boys.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

She did ask for only the good things on the city :)

nobody mentioned cost of living, rugby, pubs, resturants, bus, rent, food, bills, all cost money.

Good points only :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

From what Ive noticed the cost of living has come down in Limerick, was looking at rent prices ect recently and they are cheaper than most cities in Ireland!

After the past year in Vancouver... I will never complain about high cost of living in Limerick ever again!

Welcome to Limerick and its so nice to see how many people here being welcoming and helpful with your enquiries, being positive about our city (although we give out about it so much) its nice to see. Im back in Limerick soon, so if you want someone to show you some of what Limerick has to offer just ask :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭xxlauraxxox

1st of all liza congrats on the new job and welcome to limerick :)

Limerick is a lovely city and the bus service is not too bad running from shannon
    http://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=167
    You should try www.daft.ie for properties in the city youd like to rent :)

for to make new friends you could join an evening class in a college in limerick or a gym but im sure ull settle in fine :)

they have pretty much covered everything for the night life :)
    best of luck with the move and just PM if you need any info or just a friend when you first arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭japasca

Hey Liza,
    Welcome to limerick!
    I've never even met a Danish tourist in Limerick before so its a novelty your actually choosing to move here!
    Ive spent a lot of time in Denmark as i work with Maersk traveling to Copenhagen, Esbjerg and Svendborg so you won't find Limerick as pretty as back home.
    I've also worked in Shannon before and would recommend you look into purchasing a car. They are much cheaper here than in Denmark so you could get a nice one for 1000 euro that would get you to work on time……
    http://www.carzone.ie/search/Opel/Corsa/CHAMPION/201132203811566/advert?channel=CARS
    You should also try to live on the Clare side of the river to avoid traffic problems in the morning.
    You will enjoy the nightlife in limerick as there are loads of pubs and clubs to choose from on a Friday or Saturday night. Its pretty quiet during the week except for student nights.
    The shopping here is also a lot cheaper than in Denmark so enjoy that!

Best of luck with your move!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

Welcome to Limerick City!

A few stats on the city;

Although it may be consicered a small city it is the 3rd largest urban centre in the country with roughly 112,000 or so.

Limerick punches above its weight in terms of sporting traditions, you will end up following some sort of sporting club im sure of it!

Limerick has been given the honour of becoming the European Sports Capital for 2011, it is also the sports capital of Ireland and is home to Irelands "sporting campus" in the university of Limerick which is also home to Europes largest all weather sports complex.

While it cannot be compared to Copenhagen in terms of scale it still has a big city feel to it while retaining its charm; born and raised here for 23 years its a fantastic place to live, ignore the bad comments people have to say as you can only judge for yourself what you think of the city.

Hope you like your time here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31 tof2006

@Liza85
    2 websites to give you an idea of all the good things happening in Limerick:
    I Love Limerick .com
    http://www.ilovelimerick.ie/media/videos/

And :
    http://limerick.ie/living/whatson/

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

tof2006 wrote: »

I hadn't seen this one before now. Nice to see the weekly poetry readings top of the list. I might try to get into town for that this week.

Advertisement