Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Dr.MickKiller

"Better Late Than Never"

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

“I’m a little precious princess that you’re not allowed wake up or I’ll throw a little strop ..... the axl rose story “

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

Axl Rose - Civil War with myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Now would be a great time for Axl to do an official autobiography can anyone think of good title for the craic.
    "Not in this life time" might be a obvious one but I'd go with his famous t-shirt quote "Sh1t Happens"

"My World".

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭Level 42

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It was known that slash auditioned for poison and C.C Deville got the gig but I hadn’t heard about the issues it caused within poison. And I think it worked out well for both bands.

The list of best and worst songs on GNR albums is interesting.

I agree with some of the picks because my world was a mess and yeah probably not a great move to include a song by Charles Manson even if none of the royalties went to him, they went to a family member of one of
    his victims.

You’re crazy isn’t the worst song on appetite either. I’d put that at think about you.

IMO coma is the best song on UYI 1.

Edit: lies: I’d agree patience is the best song on the album and I’d take one of the covers as the worst song and move to the city especially live is a great song.

fcukin great song

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Level 42 wrote: »
    fcukin great song

Yeah I’m not saying it’s not a good song, I said it was the worst song on appetite which given how good that album is shouldn’t be taken as a slight against it. Think about you is easily better than some songs on the use your illusion albums but it’s on an album that doesn’t have a mediocre song in an hour of music and has several which are all time classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The 2nd half of rocket queen is another underrated masterpiece ( well obviously the whole song is but that breakdown signifying the next half is amazing)

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

I think had the band wanted to, they could easily made Appetite a 13 track album, slotting Shadow Of Your Love somewhere, maybe between Think About You & Sweet Child O' Mine.

Could also have fleshed out New Work Tune, Ain't Going Down No More & The Plague, and stuck them on Lies, instead of the Rose Tattoo & Aerosmith covers.

The 2nd half of rocket queen is another underrated masterpiece ( well obviously the whole song is but that breakdown signifying the next half is amazing)

The last three minutes of coma is a masterpiece also. It’s some of the best stuff axl ever did.

Edit: it’s 2:05 minutes of the song when axl goes up the gears so to speak.

I’ve just listened to the song and it’s a great song as lithium points out and the very end axl is sucking diesel.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    I think had the band wanted to, they could easily made Appetite a 13 track album, slotting Shadow Of Your Love somewhere, maybe between Think About You & Sweet Child O' Mine.

Could also have fleshed out New Work Tune, Ain't Going Down No More & The Plague, and stuck them on Lies, instead of the Rose Tattoo & Aerosmith covers.

They could have not done lies and had a full album when lies came out because they had a good number of songs which were either fully written or more or less good to by 1989. Several songs pre date appetite that weren’t on it.

• Advertisement

The last three minutes of coma is a masterpiece also. It’s some of the best stuff axl ever did.

It's a shame Coma doesn't get the love it deserves. It's one of the band's best songs. The 3rd verse is easily the best damn set of lyrics Axl's written.

It's a shame Coma doesn't get the love it deserves. It's one of the band's best songs. The 3rd verse is easily the best damn set of lyrics Axl's written.

Agreed. It’s certainly up there. It just shows his ability as a singer to be able to sing those lyrics at that pace and not lose it. I know he had the chance to do it over in the studio but the few live performances pre It’s current run show how tricky is was. I mean I can’t even say those lyrics in time with the song as well as he can sing them.

Just off the top of my head the songs they could have put on an album around 1989 that weren’t on appetite.

You could be mine(lyrics are on the appetite booklet)

November rain(it was a song and all they did for the album was cut it down to a workable length)

Yesterday (axl sang it in the MTV rockumentary in 1989 in a bar)

Don’t cry( was played in the pre appetite club days)

Back off bitch( see don’t cry)

Don’t damn me (was rehearsed at mates in 1989 and sounded like the UYI album version)

Dead horse(according to slash’s autobiography it was an axl song that from before the band)

Patience( I don't know of the top of the head how far in advance of lies it was written but it could have Been included)

Tomorrow is the 36th anniversary of the first show the appetite era line up of GNR took the stage.

Tomorrow is the 36th anniversary of the first show the appetite era line up of GNR took the stage.

Same day, but 7 years later, on the Use Your Illusion tour they play Hippodrome de Vincennes in Paris. Guests include Steven Tyler, Joe Perry & Lenny Kravitz. It's also where Jeff Beck suffered hearing damage while they were sound checking Locomotive (Complicity).

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Suvarnabhumi

Same day, but 7 years later, on the Use Your Illusion tour they play Hippodrome de Vincennes in Paris. Guests include Steven Tyler, Joe Perry & Lenny Kravitz. It's also where Jeff Beck suffered hearing damage while they were sound checking Locomotive (Complicity).

I still have the video. I think it was pay per view on Sky Movies or something like that. A friend recorded it for me.

Yeah I know there’s the sound check video of Jeff beck and slash on stage, but it would have been nice to see them on stage during a show. It’s also the concert where axl went off on a rant about Warren Beatty before DTJ. The cover of train kept a rollin was great though.

30 years ago today the music video for you could be mine was released. An really good video and the song itself is one of my favourites.

It rounds out my Top 10 favourite GN'R tunes...

It rounds out my Top 10 favourite GN'R tunes...

So it’s no 10 then ?

But YCBM is them firing on all cylinders. And thank Christ we got the Matt sorum intro and not the Steven Adler one which he played a few years ago and it didn't fit and would have hurt the song.

• Advertisement

So it’s no 10 then ?

But YCBM is them firing on all cylinders. And thank Christ we got the Matt sorum intro and not the Steven Adler one which he played a few years ago and it didn't fit and would have hurt the song.

Oh no it comes in 10th place.

My Top 10 goes as follows.

Locomotive (Complicity)
    Coma
    Breakdown
    There Was A Time
    Rocket Queen
    Nightrain
    Don't Damn Me
    You're Crazy (GN'R Lies version)
    Paradise City
    You Could Be Mine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

So it’s no 10 then ?

Where can I find Alder's intro I've always believed Alder would of suited the song better due to his behind the beat groove style of drumming but it could be a case of never meet your hero's

Where can I find Alder's intro I've always believed Alder would of suited the song better due to his behind the beat groove style of drumming but it could be a case of never meet your hero's

Ask and you shall receive. I know I said it would hurt the song, but I need to change that because hurt may have been a bit harsh. The intro is different but not massively different but I watched after years of hearing the Matt sorum version.

Oh no it comes in 10th place.

My Top 10 goes as follows.

Locomotive (Complicity)
    Coma
    Breakdown
    There Was A Time
    Rocket Queen
    Nightrain
    Don't Damn Me
    You're Crazy (GN'R Lies version)
    Paradise City
    You Could Be Mine

Interesting and varied list but I suppose us die hard fans won’t go for the songs the casual fans would know and like. I like that breakdown and locomotive are there as I’d have them on my top ten list.

My list would be not in order.

Coma
    Estranged
    Locomotive
    Breakdown
    You could be mine
    Double talkin jive,
    It’s so easy
    Paradise city
    You’re crazy(lies version)
    Mr brownstone

That’s not to say I dislike any song and that list could and does change regularly depending on my mood and if I’ve listened to a particular album recently.

So as we approach the 30th anniversary of the riot in St. Louis on July 2nd, I’ve been rewatching any news reporting and nearly 30 minutes of footage filmed by Robert John and watching a documentary on it and obviously 30 years after the fact, it’s easy to say it wasn’t as clear cut as it was made out at the time.

There’s also some massively baffling recounting of the incident, including slash in his book having this completely at odds version of events which bar no resemblance to what was caught on camera. Slash says he stayed on stage while Axl left when it’s clear slash and the band left with Axl.

There is a claim by the manager of the venue that he say Axl go into the dressing room and “close the door and start throwing things through walls”, but he’s the only person that I can find who who says that. That manager also said the house lights where brought up after Axl entered his dressing room, but there is footage, again from Robert John of the band standing off stage(including Axl) with the house lights up, and securing on stage trying to stop the fans getting on stage, so that doesn’t add up.

I mean yes Axl could have acted differently, as he says to kurt loder in an interview, but as axl says, nobody was handling anything at that point in the show. Maybe I’ve not found it but did the fans who ripped up seats and launched them at the stage get held accountable for the damage they caused ? Again, axl didn’t handle it perfectly but his failings weren’t the only people who failed to live up to their end of an agreement to have a peaceful show.

To think, the show ALMOST went off without a hitch....

To think, the show ALMOST went off without a hitch....

Yeah almost. I think it was slash who said by the time the whole jumping off stage happened, they’d done an hour and an half or near enough to it, which was what the band was apparently contracted to do. The story about izzy’s amp being found at the bus stop was funny.

So team Brazil the alleged management have gone after a GNR fan podcast and banned members who apparently want to go on the podcast. I wouldn’t let GNR management look after my cat ffs.

And Matt sorum and his wife had a baby girl which I suppose falls under GNR news.

happy 34th birthday to AFD from July 21st. And happy 56th birthday to Slash from well yesterday given its past midnight here in Ireland.

• Advertisement

The lads had their first show since the show in Mexico in March 2020 and it doesn’t seem axls voice is any worse or better than the last time. I’m only going on videos where it starts off good and then gets poor on the songs he shouldn’t be singing. There was awful technical difficulties with the his microphone cutting out on serval songs. It was YCBM in 1990 in Rio except on several songs.

Advertisement