Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I hate scumbags...

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Da_Doc

Your empathy chip isn't working correctly for you. I recommend deleting your System32 folder

Once they inflict violence on an innocent they lose my empathy. And that goes for anyone regardless of their socio-economic status, sex, creed, or race.

Just to clarify when I say innocent, i mean someone going about their business not looking for any trouble. Im not talking about some drunk young lad who gets mouthy with the wrong lad and gets a beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

What the hell is a townie?

Someone who lives in a town, as oppose to a culchie.

Where a culchie won't focus much on fashion, will know how to plow a farm and plays GAA a townie sticks with trends, knows where the best knacker drinking spots are and plays soccer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Seachmall wrote: »
    Someone who lives in a town, as oppose to a culchie.

Ah - Dubs, and the like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭strokemyclover

Da_Doc wrote: »
    Once they inflict violence on an innocent they lose my empathy. And that goes for anyone regardless of their socio-economic status, sex, creed, or race.

Just to clarify when I say innocent, i mean someone going about their business not looking for any trouble. Im not talking about some drunk young lad who gets mouthy with the wrong lad and gets a beating.

Empathy is not about choosing who and where to apply it. It's about understanding why people do what they do. It's about putting yourself in their shoes.

If you can choose who to be empathetic towards, I honestly feel sorry for you....in an empathetic way of course. How can anyone be so cold? There are two people, not one, involved in a stabbing. Both sides need to be considered to come to any sort of conclusion. Granted that I've already admitted in this thread that I have been accosted by a guy with a knife on more than one occassion!

Can you not open your mind just a crack to see how incorrect this term is regularly being used in this forum on a daily basis?

Perhaps you might furnish us with a pithy but PC term for the type of people who smash stuff, steal stuff and attack people for no particular reason?

'Scumbag' seems to capture the meaning, but perhaps you can do better? If not, I suggest you take your sermonising elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

LH Pathe wrote: »
    How come townies don't wear baseball caps anymore?!

What the hell is a townie?

the origins of what you mostly see the past 20yr. first came into effect Circa 1990-ish. Tried to stamp it out, nip it in the bud before it spread.. Hownever

I guess the phrase townie became illegitimate when you'd take a drive through some rural backwater n realized they'd even infected there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

a townie sticks with trends, knows where the best knacker drinking spots are and plays soccer.

Only one of those things applies to me, and only barely, and I live in a town. What the hell does that make me?

Ah - Dubs, and the like?

Dunno, I haven't spent much time in Dublin.

I think they're more predominant in western/southern towns as oppose to cities (hence the name). City folk tend to have their own style about them, but that's coming from a bit of a culchie.
    Only one of those things applies to me, and only barely, and I live in a town. What the hell does that make me?
    Someone who lives in a town...?

A townie is a style and attitude. Hard to describe. They're a harmless bunch really.

Perhaps you might furnish us with a pithy but PC term for the type of people who smash stuff, steal stuff and attack people for no particular reason?

'Scumbag' seems to capture the meaning, but perhaps you can do better? If not, I suggest you take your sermonising elsewhere.

You sir, specifically, are an idiot! Did I not ask at the start of my posts who could honestly say they have never done something in their past that could not be generalised in this forum as a "scumbag"? I realise now that I have become a similar idiot trying to convince such a closed minded audience how cruel they can be sometimes.

I'll take my leave on that. All I'll say is take a good look at yourselves before saying something so ignorant in the future! Empathy is the key to your own redemption, if you ever realise you need redeeming which I seriously doubt.

mod: poster banned.

You sir, specifically, are an idiot! Did I not ask at the start of my posts who could honestly say they have never done something in their past that could not be generalised in this forum as a "scumbag"?
    I've never attacked anyone in my life. Hope that helps.
    I realise now that I have become a similar idiot trying to convince such a closed minded audience how cruel they can be sometimes.
    We bow to your superiority.
    I'll take my leave on that.
    Don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Da_Doc

Empathy is not about choosing who and where to apply it. It's about understanding why people do what they do. It's about putting yourself in their shoes.

If you can choose who to be empathetic towards, I honestly feel sorry for you....in an empathetic way of course. How can anyone be so cold? There are two people, not one, involved in a stabbing. Both sides need to be considered to come to any sort of conclusion. Granted that I've already admitted in this thread that I have been accosted by a guy with a knife on more than one occassion!

Dont worry about me buddy Im quite ok with it.

For someone with so much understanding of other peoples feelings you are quite insulting and combatative on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭pipelaser

So, after watching the Dubs win on Sunday, we left Croke Park to celebrate with a few quiet drinks. Nothing too hectic but the win was worth celebrating. We met some really nice Kerry fans along the way and all seemed well.

I left early enough to go home but some of the lads hung around for a few more. Later that evening, one of my friends, the least threatening guy you could come across, was attacked in a random act of violence in the city centre. It all happened so quickly, he doesn't know exactly how, but he took a blow to the head from some lunatic and fell to the ground, smacking his head off the pavement.

The scumbag ran away, presumably quite proud of himself...maybe not though.

My friend spent the night in A&E, had five stitches to his face, a swollen jaw and plenty of bad memories from what should have been a great evening.

Recently, we have travelled to Poland, Germany, Spain and haven't encountered any problems...on our own doorstep though, this gob****e was he'll bent on doing someone damage...wtf?:mad:

On the off chance that the scumbag is able to read, and reads this, would he kindly explain what was going through his mind when he attacked my mate? Are you the sort to pick on someone for the sake of it? Coud you try to explain why anyone would this?

Basically, not cool...:(

This is the sort of **** that happens when you let Dublin Win, I blame Kerry...

Da_Doc wrote: »
    Dont worry about me buddy Im quite ok with it.

For someone with so much understanding of other peoples feelings you are quite insulting and combatative on this thread.

Bed is calling but I thought I'd just pop back in and say trying to get people to perform some sort of self examination is harder than I thought. If you choose to live in ignorance, I salute you. It's a hell of a lot easier than living life in the real world. Well done.

Bed is calling but I thought I'd just pop back in and say trying to get people to perform some sort of self examination is harder than I thought. If you choose to live in ignorance, I salute you. It's a hell of a lot easier than living life in the real world. Well done.

For someone arguing his objectivity and understanding of others you're getting very personal and arrogant.

The use of "scumbag" in this thread, not in AH as a whole, is clearly referencing those who assault others unprovoked. You're arguing a point you've failed to properly define making it an irrelevant point from the get-go. As someone trying to lecture us on absolutes you have failed to realize there are no absolutes in this issue. There is no right and wrong opinion, your opinion is no more correct than anybody else's and the fact you fail to see that suggests the pot is calling the kettle black when he calls him close minded and ignorant.

If you want us to "perform some sort of self examination" you should probably understand the discussion before preaching what you've clearly failed to practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

i hate scumbags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

How can anyone be so cold? There are two people, not one, involved in a stabbing. Both sides need to be considered to come to any sort of conclusion. !

So, I take this to mean that when there are two people involved in a stabbing - the stabber and the stabbed - we must consider both equally at fault in all cases.

FFS. Idiotic claptrap.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

Derfil wrote: »
    Was down in the trip to Tipp years ago and was walking from the town towards the stadium by myself and noticed 3 guys walking towards me with one lad holding a cardboard box. As I was going by the scumbag smashed the box into my face whilst laughing and saying "here have a box".

I dont condone my actions but I was young and hot headed and was a pretty decent boxer in my day. Basically that guy got hammered. I turned after him and bet him to a pulp. His two mates turned to be all fake bravado. Dragging him away begging me to leave them alone. They were scumbags, I knew by looking at them so I didn't loose any sleep over the mess I left him in.

Son, I am not disappoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Yahew wrote: »
    So, I take this to mean that when there are two people involved in a stabbing - the stabber and the stabbed - we must consider both equally at fault in all cases.

How dumb is that?

pretty damn dumb if you ask me, stabbing someone is a choice and like all choices it should carry a consequence, in my opinion the consequence should be letting the person you just stabbed (if still alive, if not a relative should do nicely) stab you.....fairness for the win

For someone arguing his objectivity and understanding of others you're getting very personal and arrogant.

The use of "scumbag" in this thread, not in AH as a whole, is clearly referencing those who assault others unprovoked. You're arguing a point you've failed to properly define making it an irrelevant point from the get-go. As someone trying to lecture us on absolutes you have failed to realize there are no absolutes in this issue. There is no right and wrong opinion, your opinion is no more correct than anybody else's and the fact you fail to see that suggests the pot is calling the kettle black when he calls him close minded and ignorant.

If you want us to "perform some sort of self examination" you should probably understand the discussion before preaching what you've clearly failed to practice.

I've never held this thread or the arguments put towards me in any personal way. I've read them, with honesty and I can't see any sense in what you are saying.

This thread and After Hours' attitudes towards people they like to call "scumbags" are tragic. I'll shed a tear for you all if it makes you feel better though I've never known a right wing person who enjoys being cried over. They frown upon it in fact!

This is the crux of the conundrum which calls itself Ireland. Tackle your own PI's before thinking about the plight of the many victims of the "AH scumbag". People in Ireland need to look at themselves and their long held beliefs personally before commenting on society in any kind of meaningful way. Lord knows I've done plenty of personal work over the past 3 years to dispel my hard-coded beliefs which I now know were completely wrong.

Poke holes in your own arguments before trying to poke holes in other people's argument! Isn't that what life is about? If you don't see that then you should put yourself down or do some voluntary work with these people you so enjoy calling "scumbags" to see what they actually go through which leads them to do what you think they do!

Yahew wrote: »

FFS. Idiotic claptrap.

If we are to look at society in any kind of meaningful way, as in we want to stop this behaviour, we need to look at the event from both people's perspective. Gobsh1te

• Advertisement

This thread and After Hours' attitudes towards people they like to call "scumbags" are tragic. I'll shed a tear for you all if it makes you feel better though I've never known a right wing person who enjoys being cried over. They frown upon it in fact!

If you recall on the first page I describe when I was attacked unprovoked whilst sleeping in a tent. The guys who did it were scumbags, as I'll get to later. However I hold no hard feelings, I haven't in this thread claimed I wished them any harm or even commented on them further. The fact is I don't care, punish them or don't punish them as long as they leave me alone in future (I've my fair share of social apathy to deal with).

However I can fully understand other people's positions to get them off the street, and even the more extreme positions of eye-for-an-eye. And clearly you disagree with that but you've failed to explain why. You described empathy and the importance of it but you've actually failed to present an objective argument. A rational, logical, debatable reason as to why you think that is the wrong way to go about it.

Empathy is, by very definition, a subjective feeling and so while your claims of trying to get us to open up our minds to your position are numerous your actual arguments to which we could open up our minds are exactly nil.

And again your argument that the term "scumbag" is relative is null and void when it has implicitly and explicitly been defined as "someone who assaults another without reason" within the context of the thread. This is something you'll need to grasp before continuing on with the discussion.

In fact the complete lack of any point being made makes me think you're holding a position you feel you've been backed into, or you're arguing a point for the sake of it.

If you recall on the first page I describe when I was attacked unprovoked whilst sleeping in a tent. The guys who did it were scumbags, as I'll get to later. However I hold no hard feelings, I haven't in this thread claimed I wished them any harm or even commented on them further. The fact is I don't care, punish them or don't punish them as long as they leave me alone in future (I've my fair share of social apathy to deal with).

However I can fully understand other people's positions to get them off the street, and even the more extreme positions of eye-for-an-eye. And clearly you disagree with that but you've failed to explain why. You described empathy and the importance of it but you've actually failed to present an objective argument. A rational, logical, debatable reason as to why you think that is the wrong way to go about it.

Empathy is, by very definition, a subjective feeling and so while your claims of trying to get us to open up our minds to your position are numerous your actual arguments to which we could open up our minds are exactly nil.

And again your argument that the term "scumbag" is relative is null and void when it has implicitly and explicitly been defined as "someone who assaults another without reason" within the context of the thread. This is something you'll need to grasp before continuing on with the discussion.

In fact the complete lack of any point being made makes me think you're holding a position you feel you've been backed into, or you're arguing a point for the sake of it.

You may think I'm fighting a meaningless argument but I've hated, literally hated, the general consensus within After Hours for so long. This place generalises so easily based on sterotypes it's no longer funny. It used to be funny for me, believe me, I did ignorantly think it was funny for so long but managed to tear myself away from the stupidity which is engrained in this forum.

I don't mind the eye-for-an-eye policy if it keeps you all quiet. But before you do take that eye just look at it from their perspective which is never done, in this forum, or in our legal system. I'm not saying they are not responsible for their actions but the type of justice and judgement talked about in this thread is barbaric. When I talk about empathy, people feel sorry for the victim but have no consideration for the attacker. I'm not asking for special treatment for the attacker; I'm just asking people to see it from their perspective which is something which appears to be seriously lacking in today's society! People are attacking the attacker in a similarly barbaric fashion to how the attacker carried out their crime.

I reckon my anger is ultimately directed towards the government. The views given in this thread which I have argued against are similar to the government and the department of justice. This country will drive anyone mad....well done for sticking by your principles but we should all be working together to fight the people who are making life hard for all of us!

I'm done! I am sleep-keyboarding right now

If we are to look at society in any kind of meaningful way, as in we want to stop this behaviour, we need to look at the event from both people's perspective. Gobsh1te

Despite the utter inane banal stupidity of saying that the victims we are talking about - people just walking down the street after a game, or looking outside of a tent, or attending a concert- are as guilty as the perpetrators and we need to take both actors into account which has got to be THE DUMBEST POST EVER on boards - you also, incapable as you are of making a semi rational argument, resorted to ending with an insulting ad hominen. Which is typical of people losing an argument.

Post reported.

When I talk about empathy, people feel sorry for the victim but have no consideration for the attacker. I'm not asking for special treatment for the attacker; I'm just asking people to see it from their perspective which is something which appears to be seriously lacking in today's society!

What perspective do we need to understand if someone attacks someone else unprovoked, what kind of nonsense is that?
    I reckon my anger is ultimately directed towards the government. The views given in this thread which I have argued against are similar to the government and the department of justice.

Exactly what we are not saying on this thread. Not only do you want to blame the victims of crime, or see the victims and perpetuators as equally responsible actors even if the victim - as in all the stories on page one - was just minding his own business, you dont even get that most of us believe that the reason normal citizens are attacked with impunity is the very liberalism of the justice system in Ireland. There are people who end up with 20 previous convictions before they are jailed for a few months. Thats what is sick, not the supposed toughness of the system.

This country will drive anyone mad..

yes it would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

If you look for trouble (even random) in any city then it is there.
    More people means more random acts, and stupid behaviour.

The thing is jail is full of idiots that got caught being aggressive. If you live in a city then you have to try and reduce the chance of you being attacked by the kind of people that will be sent to jail in 6 months. Ok its a bit random, but kind of predictable too.

Paris is rough, Amsterdam is rough, Madrid is rough ... just stick with people and CCTV cameras. Don't get so drunk that you are a target.

I have to say, it's pretty funny watching you trying to sell your position of moral and intellectual superiority while showering those who disagree with you with insults.

Well, funny in a pathetic way.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Nice to see that, predictably enough, a bleeding heart lib showed up and made it the fault of society/the government/ etc etc and turned the perpetrators into some kind of victim.

Well, done sir. your attitude is exactly what is perpetuating this type of behavior.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

funnily enough i blame the courts and gardai. (now not all gardai)

the courts seem to have little desired to curb this behaviour. even in th uk they only started giving out though er sentences on "first time" rioters.

if they had done this in the first place i could say they have done their job better.

secondly we need to be able to kick the crap out of 15 y/o scumbags ... and then get a medal.

after getting the crap kicked out of them 10 times they might realise it is not nice kick people in the head, or they die, either way a plus :)

the gardai, well some of them just don't care or just can't do anything anymore other ...

but i think the sense of community being gone is the main problem ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,822 ✭✭✭iPlop

4leto wrote: »
    And they are getting worse, cnuts, they just don't care, they seem to have a free reign and i think out of control.

One of the reasons I moved out of Dublin, it's a fúcking kip.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,940 ✭✭✭4leto

One of the reasons I moved out of Dublin, it's a fúcking kip.

I hear you, but I don't agree about the kip. It truly is a great city. You are always near a park or a beach, it has everything yet it is small. But these scumbags do destroy it. They create a fear, a tension and a disruption that just shouldn't be there.

I was listening to a radio programme about the same subject of this thread, and they had the usual D4 Trinity graduates (or where ever) defending them and making excuses.

I found myself nearly screaming at the radio, "then you, move in beside them, move into "one of the areas" bring your nice car, bike and smart phone and see how you feel a month from now. He will find 99% of the people in that area are sound, but that tiny but very vocal element will just...........

Advertisement