Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anyone else get in a few drinks during lunch?

Options
  • 19-09-2011 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I am working ATM and get an hour off from 2-3. I get in a few cheeky ones during the hour, 2 pints most of the time. I don't like the taste of lager/stout, tastes like wax to me. I can handle Bulmers though.

On Fridays if the business isn't busy I might sneak out at 1.30 get the 90 minutes off. I'd have 3 pints then. Anyone else do the same?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya once or twice other than a work lunch outting for drinks that's about it really. Normally wouldn't drink till night time!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Rabble rabble you're the type of person that has te country the way it is rabble rabble :p

Can't say that I would go for pints at lunch time, might have
    done it a couple of times over the years but usually only if it's a special occasion.

Not all that fond of drinking During the day during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Saw a lot of it when I worked in Belfast - which surprised me. However, I hear it's quite common in London too.

I personally wouldn't have a pint at lunchtime... then again, I get stuck into the Jameson around 11am each & every day.

What do I do for a living?

Why, I am a writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,883 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Pints over lunch? what the fúck do ya think this is, Coronation Street?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,249 ✭✭✭Juwwi

Hello CorkMan hows the Taxi Driving going ? :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

never, then again I never get to take a lunch break just work through

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I just squint my eyes like Clint Eastwood and take a swig from my hip-flask every time my boss tells me to do something

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Rabble rabble, my arse. If you can't get through the working day without alcohol, you have a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Solnskaya

never heard of not drinking before wine nine o'clock? Booze for lunch=waay dodgy. I had a foreman who liked a pint for lunch. When I found out, I had an ex-forman. work and drink don't really mix, at all at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Only in college, not in the real world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

You clearly have a drink problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Andromeda_111

Saw 2 people get sacked for that in 2 separate jobs.

Besides, how the hell can you stay awake in the afternoon when you go back to work. :confused: I'd be found under the desk snoring my head off it I tried it.

Seriously, if you can't hang on until your working day is finished to have a drink you should be worried.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The very odd glass of wine or glass (half pint) of beer during a social lunch on a working day with others is OK. Obviously that doesn't count if it's a half day and you finish at lunchtime.

Having a couple of pints during your lunch break as often as you can is definitely not. Work and drinking don't mix and if you can't have lunch without a drink then clearly it's time to take a long hard look at your drinking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I really, really can't see what the obsession in this country is with drink.

Have one or two on a Friday or Saturday night, or maybe one or two on a Wednesday night with a game of pool, but really, really can't understand people who think that it's a requirement to get hammered or have a drink at every opportunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I hate when I go to the ATM and it's gone to lunch 30 minutes early!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Drinking during lunch is quite common/acceptable in the Londons square mile. When I worked over there I remember one day the girl I was co-presenting a presentation thought it would be a great idea to have a long boozy lunch... Six double vodkas later she turns up.

I ended up giving that presentation on my own that day...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

How often do you do that OP. Honestly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Train wreck waiting tom happen :(

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Ditch wrote: »
    Train wreck waiting tom happen :(

He is a train driver? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

That's true, Micky. And it won't bode well for anyone else who doesn't get off before it happens.

I know about this. I've been that driver :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

CorkMan wrote: »
    I am working ATM and get an hour off from 2-3. I get in a few cheeky ones during the hour, 2 pints most of the time. I don't like the taste of lager/stout, tastes like wax to me. I can handle Bulmers though.

On Fridays if the business isn't busy I might sneak out at 1.30 get the 90 minutes off. I'd have 3 pints then. Anyone else do the same?

Ass To Mouth??? :eek:

Still if it pays for your lunchtime gargling who am I to judge :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

I hate when I go to the ATM and it's gone to lunch 30 minutes early!

Is that related to the OP's ATM ?

Because if so you're better off - drunken idiots can't count!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

I was in Boston last week and saw people having martinis for brunch and I've seen people all over Europe have beers with their lunch. It's amazing here we immediately assume someone having a pint for lunch has some problem.

If we were less conscientious about when we drank and more conscientious about how much we drank we wouldn't be known the world over as drunks.

One or two pints during the day won't kill you any faster than ten during the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Never done it when in Ireland but since I came over here to the UK people often go for a pint at lunch. Jasus the pubs do be heaving with workers. Personally I found it strange but avoid it most the time. Maybe have a pint some fridays during lunch. Differant culture here in that regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭gigawatt

just because the op has a pint or two at lunch doesn't automatically mean s/he has a drinking problem. drinking practices vary across cultures. a good rule of thumb I've heard before was that 'if your drinking is causing you a problem in your life then you have a drinking problem.'
    some people can have a few beers every night of the week and it never causes them any problems. some people can drink once a month and get arrested/miss work/have blazing rows every time they do.it really is up to the individual. peoples opinions on the matter are often very much coloured by their own experiences with alcohol which can skew their view on it.
    in answer to the ops question I have had one or two glasses on a lunch break if it was a special occasion (birthday or something), but it would be a rare thing. that said I don't particularly see anything inherently wrong with having one or two most days if thats what floats your boat!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

CorkMan aren't you just barely 20 or something?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,027 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

I regularly have a pint or two when I have a gap in lecturers.

Tis a great way to pass the time.

Wouldn't do it in work, handling quite large amounts of money, wouldn't do to be under the influence!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I regularly have a pint or two when I have a gap in lecturers.

Tis a great way to pass the time.

Wouldn't do it in work, handling quite large amounts of money, wouldn't do to be under the influence!
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Lunch time drinking is huge in London

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭bridgemond

Never drank at lunch. I used to enjoy a smoke though:)

Advertisement