Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Selling a used car in Ireland guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Why?

Read my post

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Read my post

I did, several times. It just says not to do it. Anyway the trader I sold it to sold my car and let me know when he had filled out the log book for the new owner and I confirmed it is no longer in my name so all sorted!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

I did, several times. It just says not to do it. Anyway the trader I sold it to sold my car and let me know when he had filled out the log book for the new owner and I confirmed it is no longer in my name so all sorted!

at least he was daycent in that respect, but it still does not negate the chances that when the car was out of your posession and still in your name, that you are liable for speeding fine, tolls, parking tickets - but you'll know that over the coming weeks if you get any. Thats why its important to inform shannon that the car in no longer in your ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭eenm

Great post, thanks! Very helpful.

What would you think would add more to a sale - scratched alloys or brand new hub caps? Or which would take more off a sale!

eenm wrote: »
    Great post, thanks! Very helpful.

What would you think would add more to a sale - scratched alloys or brand new hub caps? Or which would take more off a sale!

That depends on whether the car actually came with alloys day one or whether or not they're aftermarket alloys.

If it's, say, a Zetec Focus that came with alloys from the factory, you wouldn't go taking the wheels off and putting on hubcaps, ie. down grading.

If it was a bog standard Focus and had horrid, scratched aftermarket alloys, then a decent set of Ford hubcaps would look better.

• Advertisement

That depends on whether the car actually came with alloys day one or whether or not they're aftermarket alloys.

If it's, say, a Zetec Focus that came with alloys from the factory, you wouldn't go taking the wheels off and putting on hubcaps, ie. down grading.

If it was a bog standard Focus and had horrid, scratched aftermarket alloys, then a decent set of Ford hubcaps would look better.

Thanks, that helps. I got it second hand but would doubt they came with the car. Most are fine but front passenger wheel has taken a few knocks in its time. Will pick up a new set of hub caps, thank you!

Thanks, that helps. I got it second hand but would doubt they came with the car. Most are fine but front passenger wheel has taken a few knocks in its time. Will pick up a new set of hub caps, thank you!

You do realize that the hubcaps won't go on over the alloys? You'll have to change the wheels to steel wheels.

You do realize that the hubcaps won't go on over the alloys? You'll have to change the wheels to steel wheels.

I was going to write some sort of a uhhhh yeah of course message but the reality is that I did not. Thankfully this thread lets me learn good. New tyres is a big expense... Scratched alloys it is!

I was going to write some sort of a uhhhh yeah of course message but the reality is that I did not. Thankfully this thread lets me learn good. New tyres is a big expense... Scratched alloys it is!

Not only new tyres but you would have to change the wheels, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,717 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Anyone know what the fuel consumption is like in a Mercedes R-Class? 07'-08'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,001 ✭✭✭mad m

Looking to sell my Honda Accord shortly. What are the scams to look out for. I've heard people getting dodgy bank drafts etc.

Edit: looked at first post.....thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,288 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Putting my Focus up for sale in the next 2 weeks.

What websites are best for coverage besides the donedeal/adverts.ie and carzone obvious ones ?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

carzone, it's only a fiver these days afaik. Adverts is generally a waste of time unless you like getting offered stupid things to swap.

One more question.

Would it be worth putting car back to standard to sell it off faster ?

As it stands it has a brand new 1k aftermarket exhaust system with a sports cat
    Remap handset (resellable for 300e or so)
    Upgraded FMIC
    20mm spacers

Might get 800e for sports cat/cat back/spacers and handset if I went that way would leave FMIC and springs on the car.

One more question.

Would it be worth putting car back to standard to sell it off faster ?

yes, you'll not get any extra for the extras

Most certainly worth while removing them, as long as you're not buying the standard parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭almostover

Selling my old car at the moment for smallish money and am sh*tless about getting done by counterfeit cash. Where can those markers used in shops be purchased?

Meet them at a bank or atm.

Will they check the cash for you at a teller though, as must places insist now you lodge through the machines.

Also +1 for one of those little pens to check for duds

I would imagine the machines would check for duds also?

• Advertisement

I would imagine the machines would check for duds also?

I would rather a teller check them tbh :p

I would rather a teller check them tbh :p

A machine would probably be much better and once it's lodged who cares lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Have put my car up on carzone , adverts and donedeal and have had very little interest.

It's a 2004 hyundai coupe with NCT and TAX upto Jan 2015.

Any tips or pointers on this one lads? here / here / here

I've bumped price down from €3250 but still not much biting?

Thanks

LK

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

LizardKing wrote: »
    Have put my car up on carzone , adverts and donedeal and have had very little interest.

It's a 2004 hyundai coupe with NCT and TAX upto Jan 2015.

Any tips or pointers on this one lads? here / here / here

I've bumped price down from €3250 but still not much biting?

Thanks

LK

Personally I'd de-pixelate the reg for starters - I don't even look at cars where I can't see the reg. You could be cutting out a lot of potential buyers. No reason whatsoever to hide the reg of a car.

I'd price at €2900 ono also to get in under the €3k mark.

Finally I'm not sure if that petrol cap surround thing is standard but it doesn't look great (imo). I'd remove it if possible.

It's had a fair few owners for a car with 54k miles, what's the craic there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,592 ✭✭✭LizardKing

PauloMN wrote: »
    Personally I'd de-pixelate the reg for starters - I don't even look at cars where I can't see the reg. You could be cutting out a lot of potential buyers. No reason whatsoever to hide the reg of a car.

I'd price at €2900 ono also to get in under the €3k mark.

Finally I'm not sure if that petrol cap surround thing is standard but it doesn't look great (imo). I'd remove it if possible.

It's had a fair few owners for a car with 54k miles, what's the craic there?

Thanks for the feedback .. will take it on-board .. I bought it from a garage and was the 4th owner I believe. Given the usual spiel that it was owned by 3 nun's who never drove it etc.

The petrol cap is standard I believe .. I got it like that anyways.

I will also de-pixelate the reg as suggested

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 20 unwinding

Just a quick question - I seem to be moving to UK within a month, and the question is what to do with the wheels.. I need it for moving, but I will have to either register it over there or sell it over here afterwards. The question is, how long would that take?

Is there any life in the second-hand car market?

I have a 2000 Volkswagen Passat (Estate) 1.9 TDI, around 120K miles on the clock, taxed till september, passed NCT in April.. I would ask at least 1800 for it, it's in good running order with no hitches, timing belt has been done about 40K mls ago, tyres are fairly new, battery new.. It would makes so much sense to sell this here and buy another one over there, but where I'm going (in the sticks!) I will need a car from day one.

Any suggestions?

unwinding wrote: »
    Just a quick question - I seem to be moving to UK within a month, and the question is what to do with the wheels.. I need it for moving, but I will have to either register it over there or sell it over here afterwards. The question is, how long would that take?

Is there any life in the second-hand car market?

I have a 2000 Volkswagen Passat (Estate) 1.9 TDI, around 120K miles on the clock, taxed till september, passed NCT in April.. I would ask at least 1800 for it, it's in good running order with no hitches, timing belt has been done about 40K mls ago, tyres are fairly new, battery new.. It would makes so much sense to sell this here and buy another one over there, but where I'm going (in the sticks!) I will need a car from day one.

Any suggestions?

Its easy to re reg her over there on uk plates. Fill out the forms, a small admin fee, get new reg, screw on new plates, and off down to the local mot station for a new ticket. You know the car, will continue to get value out of it, and youll not be car less.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 HappieChappie

almostover wrote: »
    Selling my old car at the moment for smallish money and am sh*tless about getting done by counterfeit cash. Where can those markers used in shops be purchased?

Its more the counterfeit bank drafts id be looking out for. Just read in the local paper there were four in Cork over the weekend

Think everyone who is selling or buying should read the press release on the garda website through that before doing a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,119 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It really is crazy to accept a bank draft that you have not verified with the issuing bank beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 HappieChappie

bazz26 wrote: »
    It really is crazy to accept a bank draft that you have not verified with the issuing bank beforehand.

Exactly I know people are anxious to sell a car so they can trade up but if you asked them to take a check they'd run a mile but taking a draft without making sure its genuine is just daft.

Advertisement