Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Create one of the best fighters ever, wish you made Mario Party

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Vyze

Ramza wrote: »
    Tier lists are not how easy it is to use or a character or even how easy it is to win with them, it statistically shows how, if two players of equal skill, played each other, what chars would win how many games out of ten
    And even that is with the assumption that both players are extremely good with their characters.

Like in BlazBlue, Tager is the ultimate scrub-killer and in low level play is one of the best characters. Take him into the big-leagues and you're gonna get your face battered - so he's low-tier.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ryu was bottom tier in WW. He was tied with Zangief, but Zangief was also top tier if he managed to get one knockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

Moving slightly away from Kiki's bizarre tangent, are there any Smash players of any kind here?

Other than me and Gory.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Vyze wrote: »
    Like in BlazBlue, Tager is the ultimate scrub-killer and in low level play is one of the best characters. Take him into the big-leagues and you're gonna get your face battered - so he's low-tier.

Every time I've went to a con where BB is played I've spent a good while arguing with random scrubs that Tager is the worst character. They just don't seem to grasp that grabbing people is really damn hard when they don't just waltz into your waiting arms. pacman.gif

I'm sure if 3S tiers took ease of use into account Chun would be well above Yun, since he's arguably more powerful but actually requires some investment of effort.

As for Smash players, I used to play a lot of Melee back in the day but I haven't touched either game since about a year after Brawl came out.

I've had a pipe dream for years of coding up my own little game thats a hybrid of the freeform movement style of Smash with more traditional gameplay (because nobody else will bloody do it some some reason) but it's probably never going to happen unless I lose my job and all my existing games mysteriously vanish. :o

As for Smash players, I used to play a lot of Melee back in the day but I haven't touched either game since about a year after Brawl came out.
    as

Pretty much the same for me.

But at the time Melee came out, I played the game weekly with friends for about 7 years. Best game!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

There's quite a decent crowd of Smash players at the various anime conventions. Serious players too. They were talking about frame data and everything.

Frame data and Smash. Who knew?

Sairus wrote: »
    There's quite a decent crowd of Smash players at the various anime conventions. Serious players too. They were talking about frame data and everything.

I find anime conventions kind of rough to attend for just the gaming side of things.

Akumacon I believe was just Brawl casuals, using remote and nunchuk.

If there's any Dublin based ones where there's going to be Melee, let me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

I'll see if I can round up the serious players at Eirtakon and send them our way, but I very much doubt it'd be worth your time going to the con purely for Smash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Moving slightly away from Kiki's bizarre tangent, are there any Smash players of any kind here?

Other than me and Gory.

Yeah, me. And gosh this thread has derailed somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'm pretty sure it's a natural law of fighting games forums that any thread about Smash or where Smash is mentioned will devolve into an unreadable dribbling mess about tiers within a few pages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,986 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

To keep up with that theme.

Tiers don't exist!

A thread title guaranteed to be found on any smash forum.

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure it's a natural law of fighting games forums that any thread about Smash or where Smash is mentioned will devolve into an unreadable dribbling mess about tiers within a few pages.

I'm just impressed Kiki was able to do this all by himself pretty much within his own post.

"What are we talking about? Smash Bros? Hey do you guys know what a tier is? I sure don't. Also here is a 3S video."

Melee definitely has tiers, but there's no "clear single best character" like there is in Brawl.

Also as I said, it was slightly balanced for the EU version, so some of the best characters are little weaker (less damage, made lighter) and some of the worst are a little better (more damage, heavier).

It's not enough to radically upset tier placement, but it does close the gaps between the characters and their individual tier scores, if that makes sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭SirAuronDX

Sairus wrote: »

Let's not forget our retarded hitboxes!
    ecrxe.gif
    UpTiltAnimation.gif

Also to back the tiers argument

I beat stephen(best smash player in N.I.) with Luigi against his Falco.
    (bare in mind we were drinking and i managed to pull off some insane stuff for once)
    also http://youtu.be/asD7D1pDE8c weegee related

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

That's not a Falcon/Ganon dair..

Ah yes. the hitbox...is around the head.
    NMsFh.gif

SirAuronDX wrote: »
    Ah yes. the hitbox...is around the head.
    NMsFh.gif

Haha love that move.

Where are you getting all these hitbox images from? I'd love to see them all.

http://www.smashboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

usually each character has a sticky labeled hitbox and frame data

like so
    http://www.smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=306546

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

I play Brawl from time to time. I prefer it to melee personally. Feels more responsive than melee in terms of inputs. Can't really get into what I mean via my phone but I'll come back to this later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I fail to see how this is incorrect.

Ryu in SF2/4 is easy to use: his DP is gdlk, his Super/Ultra is easy to use (and therefore, easy to get a hit with), his FB zoning is amongst the best.
    This makes him easy to win with.
    His matchups are tied into his DP/FB game, and defined by how hard it is for his opponent's character to get around the DP/FB zoning.

Gen is arguably the hardest character to use but he's low tier

Advertisement