Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

STOVES questions and answers here(see mod note in post 1)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

I have an Oisin stove which sits into the fireplace and I am going to connect a flue liner to the rear of it. Hoping to backfill with vermuculite so I need to fill the gap between liner and bottom of clay chimney pot. I have some cermamic fibre blanket which I will wrap around the flue liner and push up to seal the gap. Did anyone do similar? I will have to push the stove back into fireplace slightly after I connect vitreous pipe. thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,176 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

You cound use Rock wool to seal between the flue and the clay chimney pots. Make sure it's a Rock wool as it has a much higher thermal point than glass wool

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

really stupid question , my wife has taken out the fire bricks to fit in larger logs in an Oisin stove , we are currently having a dissagrement over whether this is safe or not , I think the bricks are necessary and she does not , who is right ? ,

obviously I won't tell her if she is right but in all seriousness , are firebricks needed for the safe operation of a stove burning mostly hardwood logs ?

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭mayto

Ye rockwool might be easier work with, should do the job tks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

Removing them will kill the longevity of your stove according to my stove guy when I asked him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Tony H

• Registered Users Posts: 2,377 ✭✭✭Sono

I’ve just had a Henley Arklow stove installed and was wondering if anyone knew how to ensure the handle closes all the way down rather than hang out to the left if that makes sense, it’s closed tight but handle sticking out.

Apologies if this is a ridiculous question but Google didn’t help either!

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Does anybody have a recommendation for a stove fitter in North Wicklow?

I need a boiler stove replaced, have the new one, and all the plumbing is in place, so it should be relatively straightforward job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭10-10-20

The bricks act as an energy store and to keep the heat in the burning chamber. It means that when you introduce a new log into the fire, you're wholly dependent on the heat off the burning embers to ignite the new log as there isn't any reflected or stored heat off the bricks as it's already gone into the room. It's not more efficient, it's just more annoying.

Some stoves work like that, I recall using a woodburner Moreso which didn't have bricks, so it used to flare-up and emit heat over a 20 min period and then die-down rapidly. It was a pain really as it needed to be stoked and refueled frequently.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Open the door.

Let the handle hang down and close the door as far as it will. Move the handle towards the glass until the door closes fully, then press the handle back down,

They can lock in a couple of positions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭kellyj77

Hi, leaning towards getting a stove in the apartment I'm in. It's a large ground floor with a chimney. Looking to get an insert room only. Any tips or advice? How much would one cost and would I.need to get it fitted? Any recommendations for place to purchase, living in north of Dublin.

Any thoughts on a San Remo 16KW stove? Never heard of the make...in the market for 2 large stoves-was thinking Clearview or Jotul but curious on the San Remo

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Grassy Knoll

Hi I got a Henley muckross insert before last Christmas. I’m based in Dublin but bought it from Stakelums in Thurles. I have zero connection to them or the place but I found they were knowledgeable, gave a fair deal and were easy to deal with over the phone. The stove plus pipes, peripherals, delivery etc came to about €1200. I have a local handyman who fitted it for me, I’m south side he doesn’t travel north side if afraid.

one tip, if feasible, is to put in an external air feed. The Henley works well and is easy to light. Definitely insert makes,the room / house cosier, I would have no reservation in going for it. Just do it early as pre Christmas the world will be getting them done.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,192 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I've been tasked to try an organise having a stove installed for my parents.

i will try and catch up on this thread if later.

Parents house was built in 1990 approx.

Current fire places heats the immersion and four rads.

I'm based in Cork.

Can anybody recommend stove, an installer and a rough cost?

Or roughly the process of getting one.

Thanks in advance.

Got sorted!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Yiska

Hi all, we're planning to replace our old stove and fireplace with a 8kw vitae cassette stove. We've had a quote from a local company for €4700 which includes removing old stove/fireplace etc, creating the space for the new stove, new stove fitted, new hearth (old one cracked), cladding to the ceiling (single story room), lining chimney and a new cast beam.

Seems like a lot of money but is this a reasonable price?

We purchased our stove last week and have an installer.

Just wondering should we clean the chimney for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭all the bais

I've been quoted €3200 for the exact same as you. PM me and I'll send on who I am proceeding with

• Registered Users Posts: 30 cookie*

Hi, Sorry to jump in here but would you mind sending me this info too? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vvolf blister

Hi there,

I'm looking for someone to cut out an opening, in our chimney breast, and to install a free standing stove.

Based in Dublin 9. If anyone has details for a handyman in the area it would be greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭getoutadodge

Handyman? Be careful to pick someone qualified. Currently there is no regulation as is the case with gas boiler installers for example....all voluntary. I had to pay an extra grand to fix the poor workmanship of the original stove insert contractor. You are putting a "fire" in the centre of your home. If done wrong it'll burn your house down with u in it. The surround plasterboard should be special fireproof for a start.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,213 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

There's certainly regulations around gas installations. In fact it's an offence for an unqualified person to work on them.

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 4 vvolf blister

Good point. Perhaps handyman is the wrong term.

If anyone knows a competent person who could carry out this work, please share their details.

I have the stove. I just need the right person to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Anyone here able to recommend an ash vacuum for use with turf ash?

This one works all the time, very energy efficient triple A rated.

Slava Ukrainii

Great, that'll help my 82 year old mother a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭snor

Those ash vacuums are so heavy - I find them heavy and I’m half the age of your mum!

From looking online they mostly seem to be crap enough anyway, was just wondering if anyone had had any positive experience with one as it's a big enough job for her

There used to be one called AshMaster that you used your own Hoover with. Basically it was an empty drum with a Hoover hose and a inlet you stuck your own hoover nozzle I to with a cloth filter in between to stop ashes entering your hoover.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

The spin valve is stuck closed on my Stanley Oisin stove

I sprayed ac90 inside and out. Is there much I can do without breaking it ?

Post edited by kirk. on

Advertisement