Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon's Dogma

Options
  • 15-09-2011 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

I could have sworn there was a thread about this game already but I guess it got lost in all the buzz around Skyrim. Dragon's Dogma, an action-adventure game being developed by Capcom and directed by Hideaki Itsuno of Devil May Cry (notably DMC3) fame.

Personally, I think it looks ****ing awesome. Huge, open world based gameplay with a proper party system, character creation, some great looking combat including a nice "grab" function which will let you scale larger enemies to help take them down rather than relying on QTEs and about 30-100 hours worth of gameplay depending on how deep you want to get into it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Does the board not know about this game or just not care?

Personally I think it looks absolutely awesome. I will definitely be buying.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That actually looks really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

danthefan wrote: »
    Does the board not know about this game or just not care?

Personally I think it looks absolutely awesome. I will definitely be buying.
    Yay, someone replied, only took six and a half months! :D

Aye, really looking forward to this one, all of the previews thus far have been extremely positive with the only criticism being its rather generic art style. It's the combination of western RPG and Japanese (read: good) combat mechanics that has me most interested so if they can pull that off it'll be an insta-buy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,887 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It does look good, but it will all depend on how good your allies are stand alone and how complicated the system of upgrading them will be. I'm not a huge fan of games with companions, and i prefer games like this in single player, so i'll probably wait until there are a few more releases and what it's like to play alone.

Some great ideas in it though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

It's not co-op by any chance, is it? Cause that would be fantastic.

Bah, it's not :(

• Advertisement

Kiith wrote: »
    It's not co-op by any chance, is it? Cause that would be fantastic.

Bah, it's not :(

Nope, which seems to be the main complaint about it. I very rarely play MP games so I'm happy enough with it the way it is. An awful lot is going to depend on how smart your pawns are, if their AI is bad the game will be awful. But if it's good it should be awesome, and from previews I've read they seem to work well.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The art style does look about as interesting as Skyrim's i.e. not very interesting at all.

Good names behind it, but must admit I'm a bit on the fence. Will wait to see how it turns out. I had thought it was heavily inspired by MMORPGs / Monster Hunter (two nasty influences) but looks like it could be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

It looks like another Japanese facsimile of a western genre and setting, while it may be good the fact it's coming from that mind space tempers any expectations I'd have for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Looks good to me, i seen a dragon fight on game trailers and it blows Skyrims battles out of the water.
    As a fan of all things sword and sorcery this is very much on my radar.

Syferus wrote: »
    It looks like another Japanese facsimile of a western genre and setting, while it may be good the fact it's coming from that mind space tempers any expectations I'd have for it.

It's by Capcom, they're not exactly unused to Western settings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Demo out now for Xbox not sure about other formats.

It's out in the US on the PS3 anyway, going to check now if it's out here.

Edit - can't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Slowest download of all time for me. god damn you eircom.
    Combats good, graphics are really pretty and the group dynamic is cool. I think I shall buy this on release.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,247 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Very amusing preview of this from Kotaku http://kotaku.com/5904688/it-took-us-a-while-to-discover-that-this-new-dragon-game-wasnt-terrible
    We're teetering into so-bad-it's-good territory with this one, but there are also real, good things in the game.

If the combat works I can definitely live with crappy menu music. Hopefully the bugs and glitches will be sorted by the time it's out.

Bizarre demo, really not sure what to think of it.

The UI and HUD are poorly designed to an extreme, especially the (really, really frequent) dialogue pop-ups. Hopefully there's an option to turn most of it off, but as default, it's awful.

Graphics look vaseline-smeared at the best of times.

Everything almost seems too busy at times: sometimes impossible to make out what the **** is going on. There's a distinct lack of feedback to the combat at times: knocking over an enemy or watching a decreasing energy bar are the only real ways to know you're making an impact.

That said, the creature design is fantastic, especially the chimera-like goat/bird thing you fight. The second demo level hints at a wide variety of combat options available through a clever shortcut film. And yes the boss battles do show promise: I'd imagine there is great potential once one grows more accustomed to the systems and eccentricities.

Almost an impossible game to sell in demo form, and I really can't tell whether the full game will be mad fun or an absolute mess.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Looks good,xbox and ps3 only is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Took the plunge and pre-ordered , €42 on gamestop web site....... hope I don't regret it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

Just finished the demo, pre-ordered on gamestop's site pretty much straight afterwards, it looks absolutely amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

it got 8.5 on gameinformer,so tempted but I got diablo tuesday :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2 griever87

Does anyone know if anywhere broke street date for this in Dublin?

It looks all kinds of deadly.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

I had a few friends telling me about this and it sounded interesting but after a few of the videos posted here its a definite buy for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Is this out? I'm not hearing anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

humanji wrote: »
    Is this out? I'm not hearing anything about it.

Came out today, my copy arrived this morning, it's pretty enjoyable but I'm quick to notice the minor annoyances people have pointed out elsewhere (I wish pawns talked less often, they get quite annoying).

I might pick it up. I've already too many games to play at the moment, so may as well throw another into the mix. Although they're all starting to blend into each other. Last night I was playing as a WW2 sniper called Geralt of Rivia who was battling Diablo in the Carribean city of Gotham.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Notorioux

Hows the game so far lads? Can't decide between this or Ghost Recon: Future Soldier

Is it demons souls difficult?

• Advertisement

I don't think it is. It's more a case that the monsters aren't levelled, so if you wander into the wrong area too soon, you're screwed.

Advertisement