Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with falling asleep

Options
  • 15-09-2011 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭

Over the last month, I've found it harder and harder to fall asleep. Often when I do manage to drift off, I'll wake up, and that'll be it for the night. I wont sleep again. Last night, I woke up at 2.40am and have been awake ever since. I'm absolutely exhausted and pretty much at my wit's end. Over the last 4 weeks, I think I've had about 5 nights of unaided, uninterrupted sleep. I'm beginning to get really worried about this.

I'm not sure what this is. Whether it's insomnia or something else. I have been a bit stressed recently, so that is probably a major contributing factor. I'm thinking of going to the doctor tomorrow to get help. Whether that's medical, or going to CBT for the problem. Has anybody else experienced this and if so, how did you get past it?

I'd be really appreciative of any help.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Ruling out any medical condition such as depression, what is your caffeine intake like? I use to have trouble sleeping until i cut out caffeine (it stays in your system for 19 hours) and started getting lots of exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Ruling out any medical condition such as depression, what is your caffeine intake like? I use to have trouble sleeping until i cut out caffeine (it stays in your system for 19 hours) and started getting lots of exercise.
    thanks for the reply, Caoimhin. I've a pretty regular routine. I usually have 3 cups of coffee a day. 9am, 11am and 3.30pm. I've been exercising more regularly since this became a problem. Have been jogging every day this week and I do get tired. But my mind stubbornly refuses to rest. I've never suffered from depression, so i don't think it's that.

Sanjuro wrote: »
    thanks for the reply, Caoimhin. I've a pretty regular routine. I usually have 3 cups of coffee a day. 9am, 11am and 3.30pm. I've been exercising more regularly since this became a problem.

If I drank coffee after 10 am Id be staring at the ceiling all night, mind racing and heart thumping. Cut out all caffeine for a few days an see how it goes, you have nothing to lose.

You might have been able to sleep before now even with your 3pm coffee but add a bit of stress and it can keep you awake like nothing else. Also, try not to worry about falling asleep, the more you get worked up about it, the less likely you are to fall off. I play a little trick on myself by laughing at my silly self for getting worked up at things when i am suppose to be resting. Its strange how a bit of self depreciating humour can break the cycle of not being able to sleep/ getting worked up about not being able to sleep.

If I drank coffee after 10 am Id be staring at the ceiling all night, mind racing and heart thumping. Cut out all caffeine for a few days an see how it goes, you have nothing to lose.

Really, 10am?! Maybe I should cut out the coffee for a while. Thanks Caoimhin, I'll give that a shot.

I try not to let the stress get the better of me. I had a stressful situation when this insomnia cycle kicked off. But that situation is resolved now, so I thought once that was out of the way, I'd get back to a normal cycle of sleep. I had had insomnia in the past, but that was always due to a disruption of routine at the weekend and would only ever be for a night or two at most. Anyway, this situation was resolved, and yet then I found myself stressing out about not sleeping and that in itself became a self-perpetuating problem! So now, if I have any problem what so ever in drifting off, I immediately think 'oh christ, that's it!' and I'm awake!

I dont want to get all ghey, but I found that if i wrote down what is on my mind before bed, i put any issues aside before switching off.

Maybe chat to the doc but in my painful experience, sleeping pills are a vicious circle. I found that if i knocked myself out with chemicals of any sort, my insomnia came back three fold once i stopped taking them.

• Advertisement

I dont want to get all ghey, but I found that if i wrote down what is on my mind before bed, i put any issues aside before switching off.

Maybe chat to the doc but in my painful experience, sleeping pills are a vicious circle. I found that if i knocked myself out with chemicals of any sort, my insomnia came back three fold once i stopped taking them.

Yeah, I'd be very hesitant to take sleeping pills. I have taken half an ambien from time to time, but felt kinda sluggish the next day. I'd rather be tired than sluggish. Decaf and tackling this myself will probably be the only way past it.

Be careful with decaff an sweeteners too, full of nasty chems. A nice herbal tea is just as refreshing.

Advertisement