Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green Day as a Punk/Rock Band: Yay or Nay?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

philistine

this made me laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭suspectdevice

why?

Because I really can't see how it applies

guess you never will then

...is it that you aren't capable of elaborating on your argument, or are you just not arsed? in which case, why even bother in the first place?

• Advertisement

they were the green days of their time, thats all

take crAss, they were punk, and some of the bands today are punk, but it aint green day

But that doesn't change the fact that Green Day was most definitely considered punk in their early years.

hmmm....ok.

its subjective with regard to what punk means. can't expect anyone to stick with it forever. staying true to it like crass is punk. using punk as a route to become a pop band like little billy short arse isn't....but lets say thats my honest opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭viadah

So this is how far punk has come? Bitching about Green Day? Who really gives a **** about their credentials? All mainstream 'modern punk' was a record label driven reaction to the oppressive mood of grunge anyway, capitalising on jaunty, happy go lucky songs that weren't all about being miserable, so any band that got any kind of push after Kurt Cobain's shotgun rang out can be considered 'not punk' by scene-Nazis regardless of credentials.

Check out N.W.A.'s 'Efil4zaggin' if you want punk. Why? Because not many people consider it punk. Can't find the Guitar World (yeah I know) article that listed it as one of their top punk albums as a back up to this statement but **** it, it'd be a better way to spend your time than bitch-slapping Green Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭OakeyDokey

I like Green Day, their earlier stuff more than their newer stuff but I still like them. Who gives a sh*te what genre they are? Seriously what is the big deal about it?

• Advertisement

some people don't like to hear it when they are told that green day aint punk

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭MightyMighty737

some people don't like to hear it when they are told that green day aint punk

Telling people what is and isn't punk, most definitly isn't punk.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I have to say, I was once so desperate to be in a band that I auditioned for a Greenday covers band. Happy to say I had to read the lyrics off a CD's liner notes :p They were ****e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 bitzy

ANY BAND WHO TAKES A YEAR TO MAKE THEIR LAST ALBUM AINT A PUNK BAND!! THEY ARE STADIUM ROCKERS FOR STADIUM PEOPLE WHO PAY STADIUM PRICES TO WATCH 3 TINY ****IN DOTS!

PS. RAMONES-FIRST ALBUM-TWO WEEKS TO RECORD-COST?-6,400 BUCKS-INFLUENCE?-A WHOLE ****IN GENERATION!

BITZY

I love punk.

'Yeah and the Ramones are so punk that every ****er on the planet owns a Ramones t-shirt.'

Ya wind 'em up, and ya watch 'em spin. In my opinion, the least punk attitude in the world is arguing whether something is punk or not. Stop being so ****ing precious about it, it's worse than listening to 13 year old girls back in the day when Robbie Williams quit Take That.

Telling people what is and isn't punk, most definitly isn't punk.

bahahaha.........telling people that telling people what is and isn't punk most definitely isn't punk so what

i just think its funny the way the like green day fan boys get their panties all bunched up when they realise they support a punk band and their merch comes from hot topic

yeah, punks not dead.......i know

i just think its funny the way the like green day fan boys get their panties all bunched up when they realise they support a punk band and their merch comes from hot topic

I don't know one Green Day fan who feels that way...

its a typo.....i was drunk.....see if you can figure out what i meant

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I hate the way that this argument comes up whenever Green Day are mentioned - sometimes people expect you to be nearly apologetic when you say you like them!

If we're gonna define punk by the old underground-subversive-counterculture scene, then no, they aren't punk now. But they started out in that scene, they began as a punk band. They couldn't make music that sounds like 39/Smooth or Kerplunk or even Dookie forever! They evolved, and whether you want to call em punk now or not is up to you.

I do think they deserve some credit for re-invigorating the punk scene though. A lot of the kids who heard a Green Day CD in 1994, or 1997, or 2004 (or even 2009 I guess) then went back and looked up the Ramones, or Op Ivy, or Stiff Little Fingers, or The Clash or whoever and got into punk that way (I know I did, judge me if you like :P).

I like (most of) their music, new and old, and I think they put on a great show. At the end of the day, is that not the whole point of music? Does it really matter what label is put on a band?

All that matters is that that badge you wear shines brighter than the next guy. Watching people argue about the definition of punk is like watching a retard trying to **** a doorknob.

Everyone ends up fat and old eventually. Then it doesn't matter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 bosnian

I would say no.
    If you're on today's MTV, you're definitely not punk.

See? ****ing relentless.

pray tell oh wise one.....tell us what subjects you think we should limit our discussion to

if there is one thing punks hates its fascists who would restrict anyones beliefs and expressing opinions

i think its funny listening to people who get their panties in a bunch when other people discuss topics they obviously have an interest and an opinion

punk-1.jpg

Of more meritorious discussion would perhaps be evolving personally and as a scene under the blanket banner of 'punk', harbouring a communal spirit that allowed creative initiative to flourish and removing all trace of elements that restrict evolution by pigeon-holing any artistic endeavour to a restrictive definition of itself.

Then we could all eat a thesaurus together.

Then maybe the name we apply to ourselves in this world wouldn't be as important as the things we do. And yeah I know it's just a goddamned web forum and a brain dead topic being discussed but **** it, nothing wrong with a little idealism now and then to break the monotony.

too true

pity theres only a few of us though

I do think they deserve some credit for re-invigorating the punk scene though. A lot of the kids who heard a Green Day CD in 1994, or 1997, or 2004 (or even 2009 I guess) then went back and looked up the Ramones, or Op Ivy, or Stiff Little Fingers, or The Clash or whoever and got into punk that way (I know I did, judge me if you like :P).

Same. If it wasn't for Green Day then I wouldn't like The Ramones, Screeching Weasel, The Queers, Riverdales, Operation Ivy, Dead Kennedys, etc.

ahhh..

the "genre" debate..

It always start off with "are greenday punk or not"... yada yada yada
    and escalates to this...

Imo.. I couldnt give a sh!t what genre any band/artist are..
    Why does it matter .. if you like their music.. so what?? :confused:

My main point was more so about the OP claiming that Green Day doesn't deserve to call themselves punks (which they haven't actually done in some time)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

punk-1.jpg
    Is there a reason why the swastika in that picture is the wrong way round?

• Advertisement

My main point was more so about the OP claiming that Green Day doesn't deserve to call themselves punks (which they haven't actually done in some time)

Yes.. but the whole "point" has lost meaning.

It just translates into a debate over whats punk and whats not.

It's a never ending argument.

Advertisement