Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saorview Name and Logo

Options
  • 11-09-2011 2:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi all I have read a few threads regarding the abuse of the Saorview Logo by installers. Is it just the Logo or is the Saorview Name also not allowed to be used by installers. There is an installer driving around Gorey with the words Saorview approved Installer plastered all over his Van is what he is doing wrong or has he been approved by Saorview. The reason I ask this is that there are many other installers using the name Saorview on home-made flyers also going around. Looking on the the NET there are many guys advertising Saorview some of them are using the Logo some of them are just using the name. To an ordinary member of the Public this is very confusing as to who is the right installer to get to supply this new system.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Dougal no installer in Ireland can use the word Saorview or the Name or Logo in advertising or on Flyers, Clothing, Vans and Websites even if the installer is Legit and registered with 1 of the 3 recognised bodies or not be legit the installer still cant use the Name and Logo. The Saorview name and logo can only be used by registered Retailers to sell Saorview approved T.V.s and Receivers over the counter or on-line . Although there are guys using the Name and Logo in a roundabout way to sell and Advertise. As I have said before Saorview/RTE will have to act hard on this. There is nothing stopping installers using an add with the words Irish digital channels or Irish DTT . Regarding the guy in Gorey people up there should be warned that he is using a name and logo that belong to RTE and what he is doing is wrong and illegal. Its all here http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/understand-what-you-need-avoid-scams/. Here are the only guys who can Advertise saorview in Gorey. http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/find-a-retailer/?county=31&town=Gorey&btsumbit=Search# and as you see they are Retail shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

www.techtir.ie and www.saortv.info both contacted by RTE regarding use of the Saorview Logo.

We successfully argued since the sites are informational / Magazine and not selling anything that it was "fair use" like a printed newspaper doing an article on RTE. Also Techtir (who run Saortv.info) had previously registered with RTE publicity Dept for Media use of RTE logos and has an account and password to download "official" RTE files for Media use.

Many other websites however did have to remove Saorview logos. So I imagine they will get round to individual traders eventually.

Neither site has any official standing of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Dougal.

scaller wrote: »
    Dougal no installer in Ireland can use the word Saorview or the Name or Logo in advertising or on Flyers, Clothing, Vans and Websites even if the installer is Legit and registered with 1 of the 3 recognised bodies or not be legit the installer still cant use the Name and Logo. The Saorview name and logo can only be used by registered Retailers to sell Saorview approved T.V.s and Receivers over the counter or on-line . Although there are guys using the Name and Logo in a roundabout way to sell and Advertise. As I have said before Saorview/RTE will have to act hard on this. There is nothing stopping installers using an add with the words Irish digital channels or Irish DTT . Regarding the guy in Gorey people up there should be warned that he is using a name and logo that belong to RTE and what he is doing is wrong and illegal. Its all here http://www.saorview.ie/make-the-switch/understand-what-you-need-avoid-scams/. Here are the only guys who can Advertise saorview in Gorey. http://www.saorview.ie/products-retailers/find-a-retailer/?county=31&town=Gorey&btsumbit=Search# and as you see they are Retail shops.

Scaller that sums up what i was thinking. I do buy stuff from 1 of those shops so i will check with them. Any how you say that installers that are with the 3 recognised bodies cant use the Saorview logo or Name. But if you look there are registered installers with these bodies that are using the Saorview Name and Logo so surely what they are doing is wrong and Illegal.

Dougal. wrote: »
    Any how you say that installers that are with the 3 recognised bodies cant use the Saorview logo or Name. But if you look there are registered installers with these bodies that are using the Saorview Name and Logo so surely what they are doing is wrong and Illegal.

Dougal. All I can say about that is for you to contact the Recognised bodies and tell them that some of there members are abusing the Logo.
    Or contact
    http://www.saorview.ie/contact/
    http://www.nca.ie/eng/Contact%20Us/Contact%20Us.html

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Dougal no installer in Ireland can use the word Saorview or the Name or Logo in advertising or on Flyers, Clothing, Vans and Websites even if the installer is Legit and registered with 1 of the 3 recognised bodies or not be legit the installer still cant use the Name and Logo. The Saorview name and logo can only be used by registered Retailers to sell Saorview approved T.V.s and Receivers ...

To my knowledge anyone can use the word Saorview, or the name. The issue is misuse of the Logo, or misrepresenting equipment as Saorview Approved or an individual as misrepresenting an individual or business as being associated, or otherwise approved by Saorview. The same applies to misuse of other Logos, such as the Freesat one.

Whether the individual, or company, is one of the 'three registered bodies' is not relevant. Misuse of Logos is not a legal issue.

• Advertisement

NewHillel wrote: »
    To my knowledge anyone can use the word Saorview, or the name. The issue is misuse of the Logo, or misrepresenting equipment as Saorview Approved or an individual as misrepresenting an individual or business as being associated, or otherwise approved by Saorview. The same applies to misuse of other Logos, such as the Freesat one.

Whether the individual, or company, is one of the 'three registered bodies' is not relevant. Misuse of Logos is not a legal issue.

Contact Ray Maguire at Saorview he will tell you different.

Contact Ray Maguire at Saorview he will tell you different.

What part is wrong, in your opinion?

What part is wrong, in your opinion?
    Originally Posted by NewHillel
    anyone can use the word Saorview, or the name.

Only registered retailers can use the name and Logo to promote or sell approved T.V.s or receivers.

Ray Maguire, at Saorview will let you know who can or cant use the Name and Logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭Tony

Its my understanding from a meeting with Ray Maguire that RTE claim full rights over the use of the word saorview and it should not be used by others without permission.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Tony wrote: »
    Its my understanding from a meeting with Ray Maguire that RTE claim full rights over the use of the word saorview and it should not be used by others without permission.

Thats exactly what the Saorview team said at the Saorview Seminar last April in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Thats exactly what the Saorview team said at the Saorview Seminar last April in Dublin.
    Don't think that they can stop the use of the word Saorview, how else is anyone who doesn't sell equipment let people know that they support this service. The ordinary joe soaper won't know what DTT is. If that is the case they are taking the whole thing way too far

darth_maul wrote: »
    Don't think that they can stop the use of the word Saorview,

They can if they wish to as its copyright

• Registered Users Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭cast_iron

They can if they wish to as its copyright
    So no installer can use the word Saorview? That's what you are saying as installers are not a "point of sale" for a Saorview box really.

Only registered retailers can use the name and Logo to promote or sell approved T.V.s or receivers.

Ray Maguire, at Saorview will let you know who can or cant use the Name and Logo.

So, if I have a Saorview Approved TV, that I want to sell privately, I can't use the word Saorview in an ad?? Right, that's most certainly a new interpretation of Copyright Law.

A retailer, registered or not, can sell Saorview Approved TV 's. The designation 'Saorview Approved' applies to the equipment, not the retailer. A registered Saorview Agent applies to the retailer, who may have, as you say, exclusive rights to use the Logo in promotional material.
    There is no such thing as a Freesat or Saorview Installer, as the Type Approval applies to equipment. This is why use of either logo by Installers is misrepresentation.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Whether they like it or not, the expression "Saorview channels" will be used to describe the Irish DTT free to air service.
    They will not be able to prevent that. In fact they are promoting it.

If someone has a piece of equipment to sell and it receives those Saorview channels, even if the device is not 'Saorview approved', then it will be described as receiving Saorview. As it has here on Boards.

The logo and 'Saorview Approved' designation will be covered ..... but not the use of Saorview as a generic term for Irish DTT.

cast_iron wrote: »
    So no installer can use the word Saorview? That's what you are saying as installers are not a "point of sale" for a Saorview box really.

RTE's position is that no one can use the word Saorview or the Saorview logo for commercial purposes without permission.

The designation 'Saorview Approved' applies to the equipment, not the retailer.

Wrong, it applies to both separately. A retailer must apply to RTE to become a registered Saorview retailer

RTE's position is that no one can use the word Saorview or the Saorview logo for commercial purposes without permission.
    While that may well be the case Tony, it's wholly impractical to enforce.
    You can't regulate the selling of tv boxes and nor should they. This means an entirely free market, just like buying a bar of chocolate. The whole "registered retailer" idea is a bit silly really. Sure Saorview don't really push that fact either, and the list is "somewhere" on the website.
    To me, it's a token to aid those willing to do the research so they won't get caught out buying wrong equipment at the start of the changeover.

I've no idea what the practicalites are to enforce this but bear in mind if they choose to enforce they have the weight of copyright law to back them up . They are also a semi state company so normal common sense may not apply since they are spending someone elses money doing it.

From my meetings with members of the saorview team and my understanding of their position they would certainly not share your view . I don't agree its a token jesture either , they made it very clear to me and my colleague that they were not in favour at all of non Saorview appoved boxes being used and actively discouraged them in the early days by turning off RTE 2 SD until political pressure forced them to turn it back on for a temporary period.

I also do not think it should be a burden on potential customers to do a lot of research (some is always wise) , the burden should fall on the retailer to be clear on what exactly is being offered so that the consumer can make an informed choice ,whether that be saorview approved or not as the case may be.

They are not trying to regulate the selling of boxes but by controlling the use of the term/logo saorview at least its a clear indication that the box will work and provide all of the features. This is especially useful for many people who are not technicially literate (why should we expect them to be ) and are simply interested in the benefits and not the technology.

Sorry for the long post.

While that may well be the case Tony, it's wholly impractical to enforce.
    You can't regulate the selling of tv boxes and nor should they. This means an entirely free market, just like buying a bar of chocolate. The whole "registered retailer" idea is a bit silly really. Sure Saorview don't really push that fact either, and the list is "somewhere" on the website.
    To me, it's a token to aid those willing to do the research so they won't get caught out buying wrong equipment at the start of the changeover.

From my meetings with members of the saorview team and my understanding of their position they would certainly not share your view . I don't agree its a token jesture either , they made it very clear to me and my colleague that they were not in favour at all of non Saorview appoved boxes being used and actively discouraged them in the early days by turning off RTE 2 SD until political pressure forced them to turn it back on for a temporary period.
    I don't disagree with anything you say there.
    However, I never claimed they would be in favour non-approved boxes.:confused:
    I also do not think it should be a burden on potential customers to do a lot of research (some is always wise) , the burden should fall on the retailer to be clear on what exactly is being offered so that the consumer can make an informed choice ,whether that be saorview approved or not as the case may be.
    Fully agree. Anyone would expect that of a good retailer. And if the retailer is registered with Saorview, it should be all the more comforting for the consumer. I just can't see Saorview's website list as being of great use in encouraging people where to buy. People tend to use trusted retailers and will not change too easily.
    They are not trying to regulate the selling of boxes but by controlling the use of the term/logo saorview at least its a clear indication that the box will work and provide all of the features. This is especially useful for many people who are not technicially literate (why should we expect them to be ) and are simply interested in the benefits and not the technology.
    That's only true in a very limited way. They do have a way of ensuring people are using fully compliant boxes - the big obvious "Saorview approved" sticker.

• Advertisement

However, I never claimed they would be in favour non-approved boxes.:confused:

I did not mean to suggest you did , my point was that they were strong in their views and this would not be a "token jesture" as you suggested.

That's only true in a very limited way. They do have a way of ensuring people are using fully compliant boxes - the big obvious "Saorview approved" sticker.

While the cannot ensure people are using approved boxes (unless by technical means) by limitimng the use of the word saorview they at least can ensure to some degree that people do not buy boxes that they think are somehow approved by saorview which is really the point of the thread is it not ?

You seem to be making my argument for me :)

You seem to be making my argument for me :)
    Not quite. MY point was that the "Saorview Approved" sticker was sufficient enough as a guide to fully compliant boxes, and that the word/logo can't be practically copyrighted and policed.
    When you think about it, it will be our only national terrestrial tv service. Is it not a bit strange that the word to describe such a service is copyrighted?

Is it not a bit strange that the word to describe such a service is copyrighted?

Not strange at all, Freesat and Freeview are copyrighted

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The free to use name is Irish Digital Television, or Irish Digital Terrestrial Television (Irish DTT).

Or Irish channels on DTT.

Saorview is a platform / System. More than DTT and TV channels.

watty wrote: »
    The free to use name is Irish Digital Television, or Irish Digital Terrestrial Television (Irish DTT).

Or Irish channels on DTT.

Saorview is a platform / System. More than DTT and TV channels.

That may be the case but ...... in practical terms the use of Saorview will, I believe, become the generic term for those, and thus will be used whether RTE like it or not.

So I fully expect to hear people selling non-approved boxes that can receive "Saorview channels". I do not believe RTE will be able to prevent this.

I do not believe RTE will be able to prevent this.

Of course they will if they choose to , they have the law on their side. Seems there is a lack of understanding here of exactly what copyright means and what remedies are available to RTE if they choose to go down that path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

There seems to be confusion between copyright and trademarks.

Copyright is an automatic protection which exists for the creator of some form of work, such as artwork, a recording or published text. Single words, or even phrases, are not protected in this way. It would be completely impractical if they were. Copyright does not come into the issues talked about here at all.

However, a single word can be protected as part of a Trademark. SAORVIEW and SAORVIEW TV are both trademarks registered in Europe by RTE. Trademarks are mostly concerned with identifying the origin of goods or services. This is what is relevant to discussion about logos on vans, or equipment being misrepresented as being Saorview certified.

Of course they will if they choose to , they have the law on their side. Seems there is a lack of understanding here of exactly what copyright means and what remedies are available to RTE if they choose to go down that path.

Just like anyone can sell a device capable of receiving "Freesat channels" even though it is not a Freesat compliant device .... the same applies to "Saorview channels" being received on a non approved (by Saorview) device.

The trademark is not being infringed.

RTE's view as I understand it is that they invented the word so they believe that its is protected by both copyright and trademark. I take your point though that trademark is the more relevant of the two items in this case.

sesswhat wrote: »
    There seems to be confusion between copyright and trademarks.

• Advertisement

Perhaps but the particular wording used by the trader goes beyond that . If he used the wording you refer to I think there would be less of an outcry by the guys in Wexford.

Just like anyone can sell a device capable of receiving "Freesat channels" even though it is not a Freesat compliant device .... the same applies to "Saorview channels" being received on a non approved (by Saorview) device.

The trademark is not being infringed.

Advertisement