Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chris Nelson, photog based in NI - reviews?

Options
  • 10-09-2011 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,
    I was just wondering if anyone has any personal experience of working with/ hiring/commissioning this photographer, good or bad. Contemporary photojournalistic style, based in Antrim.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I would take its for a wedding? stuff looks good on the website

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Julidoherty

I was actually looking up this photographer last night too :)
    His stuff looks great, really natural....and his comments on the photographs are great.... Seems like he's enthusiastic about his job
    I have no experience of working with him... I too would like to hear from anyone with personal experience... Looking for a Wedding Photographer at the moment....

• Registered Users Posts: 21 aunt pol

@Julidoherty I'll PM you as soon as I get back to laptop.

We hired him for out wedding and are currently having some communication issues so I am interested to hear from anyone who has dealt with him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

OP - It may be better to ask in a Wedding Forum rather than here. Most who look here are Photographers themselves and tend not to be consumers. It is not a name I recognise as a poster here, or someone that has come to our attention for any reason, favourably or otherwise.

Thanks for that, yep that makes sense alright!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 pipsnips

aunt pol...have you heard back? we also booked this chap and he wont answer our calls. WE have paid up front quite a bit of money and cant get in contact with him.........

Hi pipsnips, sorry slow reply. We did indeed, got our pics finally just after Christmas. We got married the 7th of may last year so it certainly wasn't prompt service. The pics are great though, so I for one am delighted to be done and out the other side. I found he sometimes responded to messages on his website, very slow to email, never got him on phone. When is/was your wedding/event?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 mtcampbell

Our wedding was the end of August 2010 - I still haven't received proof book or DVD with the photos. Before our wedding Chris Nelson couldn't do enough and was always reachable by telephone...especially when wanting paid. Totally different story after. Every time I tried to call it went to voicemail, he would occasionally text back - stating that he had sent proof book etc and that he would get it re-sent by recorded delivery. Almost 2 years later it still hasn't arrived. I am not a complainer, we wanted a relaxed wedding and really didn't want to deal with all the stress usually associated with getting married. By and large we managed it, with one notable exception - Chris Nelson Photography! Despite him not delivering on the package we agreed and which was paid for, at no point has he phoned me. Really, after the wedding he would only communicate through text and then just stopped . All I wanted was the copy of our wedding photographs and proof book as agreed - I can't imagine it would have taken that long to do. Eventually (March 2012) he made it possible for us to download the images from the website. This was only after a friend called him saying they were getting married and I had recommended him etc. When he thought he was going to get a booking my friend mentioned that I hadn't received my pictures and so he was concerned about booking him. As a result Chris immediately made the pictures available to download, he also said he would send the DVD copy to my work address - again, still waiting. The fact that Chris Nelson Photographer thinks that I would recommend him to anyone suggests that he might be a deluded. In conclusion, Chris Nelson Photography - decent photographs, terrible after service, and really not worth the stress. Under no circumstances would I recommend Chris Nelson Photography.

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Splinters

Wow thats pretty shocking. I would suggest posting this in the wedding section though. As mentioned most users of this forum are photographers themselves and not necessarily consumers. It sounds as if your dealings with him should be heard though, and the wedding forum would be a much more appropriate place where his future potential clients may avoid the same troubles you've had from reading your story.

Alternatively, you may want to drop him a mail before posting to explain that since you're waiting almost 2 years (Im still shocked by that) for your wedding photos you feel you're justified in posting your experiences on the boards.ie wedding board. As you probably know yourself this board is fairly influential and a post like that that would likely loose him some future business. It might be the kick in the backside he needs to finally deliver on what you had agreed.

Out of curiosity did you have a time frame mentioned in your contract with him? If so hes in breach of contract and theres plenty of legal options open to you. Im sure your primary concern is getting what you paid for but in todays photography market where theres so much competition its very unfortunate to hear of somebody taking in business and treating their customers in that manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 MrsSunshine

Hi, we too are experiencing the same problems with Chris Nelson - no communication and no photographs after being paid a lot of money!

Our wedding was late last year - we also found him very helpful before our wedding day. As Northern Ireland is a small place through wedding chat at work I heard about another girl who had waited a long time for photos and thank you cards with zero communication from her photographer, however at that time I did not realise we had both booked Chris Nelson. On our last meeting with him I voiced my concerns about this brides experience and he reassured us that he would send us examples while we were on honeymoon. It is ironic that I was telling him about himself and we didn't even know! Needless to say he did not send us anything. After countless emails and voicemails we finally got our thank-you cards. As far as I'm aware the other bride's photos went on his website for preview 3 weeks before her 1st wedding anniversary. People joke about bridezilla's but I loved every moment leading up to our wedding it is our experience of Chris Nelson that is turning me into an after wedding bridezilla! Of course the contract has no mention of time frames - I think at the time we had become so accustomed to everything needing to be paid before the wedding we just assumed the photographs would be ok too. I would really like to know how to find out where we stand and what we can do. Northern Ireland is a very small place and I am amazed he is risking his reputation in this way. He has our money and our photos - we are obviously very concerned. If this is the wrong place to post this I am very sorry but I havn't used this kind of thing before - I just saw other people's experiences with Chris Nelson and had to share ours.

• Advertisement

Of course the contract has no mention of time frames
    I would really like to know how to find out where we stand and what we can do.

Im afraid to say you might have answered your own question there. Hes not in breach of contract if there was no time frame mentioned so legally you dont have too many options (that Im aware of anyway). Hell Im doing a series of FREE headshot and portrait photos at the moment for a few actors and actresses and Im still getting them all to sign contracts and setting out all the conditions.

As mentioned above, definately post this on the weddings forum as it will likely have much more influence there then here. Here is a link to it...

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=670

Also try calling from a different number or having a friend, family member call for you. He might be avoiding your calls but Id safely bet hes still taking calls from new clients. It might sound a bit extreme but even have somebody set up a meeting with him and confront him. Obviously remain calm and dont let it escalate into an argument or worse but he should be confronted over this. In no way is it normal or acceptable to make a couple wait a year, or anything like it, for their wedding photos. Especially given the prices he charges.

Hope you get this resolved as soon as possible.

Dear Splinters,

Thank you very much for your reply. It has certainly given us ideas to follow. Another person in the same predicament has been in contact with me through this board so that has been helpful too. Will try to post on the wedding board now too.

Thanks again, it's a great help to hear the ideas and opinions of others on this matter.

The wedding board would definately be the a good starting point. This forum is typically for photograpgraphers so not necessarily people who would be availing of his services. The wedding forum gets new posts on a daily basis looking for wedding photographers and people enquiring about one tog or another. Its very widely used so posting your experiences may help somebody else avoid the same unfortunate situation.

Out of curiosity I did search for posts relating to him on the wedding forum and found quite a few with much the same story. How is this guy still in business??

I seen he tried to respond to one of the criticisms and offer an explanation but his post was deleted. Any business representing themselves must go through a process on boards to be verified etc, which is perfectly understandable. It appears he was told about this and informed he would be welcome to post again and explain himself when he set his account up properly. It doesnt appear as if he ever did, which shows how interested he is in offering up an explanation.

I have tried this guy so many times. We are nearly two years, 3k less off and nothing to show for it. I am so upset by this ordeal. I have been onto northern ireland companys reg website. Solictor is the next person. It was explained to me that we would receive our images two weeks after our wedding and have emails stating the same. He literally has taken our 3k.....im so angry that he can destroy something so special.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

pipsnips wrote: »
    We are nearly two years, 3k less off and nothing to show for it.

I'm really sorry for the trouble you are going through, but why on earth did you part with your cash before getting your photos? Surely you would only pay a deposit with the balance on completion and delivery of the album?

Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought that was normal practice for photographers (or any business)?

I'm really sorry for the trouble you are going through, but why on earth did you part with your cash before getting your photos? Surely you would only pay a deposit with the balance on completion and delivery of the album?

Maybe I'm wrong but I would have thought that was normal practice for photographers (or any business)?

We too had Chris Nelson as our photographer and he wanted all the money up front before the wedding. I think at the time we were so used to everything having to be paid before the wedding day that we just assumed it was normal. Perhaps too trusting on our part? Unfortunately we have learnt the hard way and we are not the only ones. As far as we know he is still doing weddings and people are still ending up in the same predicament :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Every wedding photographer I know takes anything from 10-50% deposit with the remaining being paid the week leading up to or on the day. I don't know any that take payment after the day

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Zabka

This is easy to say and of course I'd never hire a photog again with full payment beforehand cause this has been a disaster.
    But I also have not found any that would work and accept payment after while searching for photogs. :( Balls in vice.

I just hope all couples looking for a photog read this post and so not hire Chris Nelson.

anyone got this chaps postal address. can you pm me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

Here is publicly available whois data from his website:

<SNIP>

• Advertisement

Reoil wrote: »
    Here is publicly available whois data from his website:

<SNIP>

Interesting. The address from my invoice is:
    Chris Nelson Photography
    <SNIP>

They are only about 3 miles away from each other. If someone knows which one is correct, let me know, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I like name and shame threads. :)

I'm glad you got your giggles. This F*** truly deserves it though. Actually he deserves much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If anyone googles him (Chris Nelson Photography Review), this thread comes out on top. The power of the internet....

Mr E wrote: »
    If anyone googles him (Chris Nelson Photography Review), this thread comes out on top. The power of the internet....

I know! That's how I found it. Too bad there were 0 reveiws of him when we booked him and even around our wedding. They popped up just a little bit later. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Zabka wrote: »
    I'm glad you got your giggles. This F*** truly deserves it though. Actually he deserves much worse.

I am certainly not giggling at your mishaps, I am on these boards a fair while and I like to see 'people like him' exposed to save others from all the hassle and misery.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,681 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

yeah there's nothing like an internet witch hunt comprised almost entirely of unsubstantiated allegations by low post-count or first time posters to brighten up a monday morning.

They can be a bit dodgy if its just one persons experiences. Ive read a few where its one person giving their account of a situation but its very hard to know if its justified without hearing both sides of a story.

Im sure even the best of the best (in any field) will have off days and some people can be a bit quick to do the the whole name and shame thing which can potentialy be quite damaging. I suppose every situation is different.

However in cases like this where there are numerous people (Ive seen close to a dozen people on both this and the wedding forum) all giving very similar stories, experiences of this guy then it seems very much justified. He seems to be still taking on new business too which is the most unfortunate thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

yeah there's nothing like an internet witch hunt comprised almost entirely of unsubstantiated allegations by low post-count or first time posters to brighten up a monday morning.

Yeah because people have nothing better to do than make up stuff about a guy they've never met. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

These are not unsubstantiated allegations, come round to our house and show us our wedding photographs. Good luck with finding any!!! :rolleyes:

Advertisement