Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ Two HD on non-Saorview platforms - ALL RTÉ TWO HD ON SKY AND UPC DISCUSSION HERE.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭HarcourtGreen

Just realised I now have RTE2 HD on UPC channel 135 (where BBC HD was, still have that, pushed up to 136).. Dont know how long this has been live for I only noticed it today. Good stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

Have Sky said anything publicly about RTE 2 HD being made available to R.O.I subscribers at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Manc-Red wrote: »
    Have Sky said anything publicly about RTE 2 HD being made available to R.O.I subscribers at all?

Still in discussions, from what I have heard, that was about 2 months ago.

Just realised I now have RTE2 HD on UPC channel 135 (where BBC HD was, still have that, pushed up to 136).. Dont know how long this has been live for I only noticed it today. Good stuff!

It has been available since Thursday or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

RTE Two HD doesn't meet the minimum requirements to be classified as a HD channel on Sky.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

JDxtra wrote: »
    RTE Two HD doesn't meet the minimum requirements to be classified as a HD channel on Sky.

How so? Just out of curiosity.

Red Alert wrote: »
    How so? Just out of curiosity.

It is only HD part-time. Not all shows are available in full HD.

Many of the US programmes are bizzarely upscalled to HD from SD but at the same time they've been downscaled to SD from HD.

RTÉ have not yet fitted out their studios with HD equipment. Sports events are in Full HD, while the studio analysis is in an upgraded form of HD for the channel.

All Irish and Children's programmes are also upscaled to HD.

I think this explains Sky issues with RTÉ TWO HD. (????)

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Elmo wrote: »
    It is only HD part-time. Not all shows are available in full HD.

BBC 1 HD, ITV 1 HD, C4 HD, Channel 5 HD, Sky 1 HD and many more show plenty of SD material upscaled HD.
    I don't see your point.

MarkK wrote: »
    BBC 1 HD, ITV 1 HD, C4 HD, Channel 5 HD, Sky 1 HD and many more show plenty of SD material upscaled HD.
    I don't see your point.

Perhaps RTÉ Two HD show plenty more???? You'll need to ask Sky, because if that is the case I also don't see the point.

When do we stop calling it RTÉ Two HD?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

When do we stop calling it RTÉ Two HD?

25th October 2012.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I don't see your point.

I think any prospective HD channel needs at least 50% of their content to be in natural HD.

The majority of the stuff on the above channels you named have well over 50% of their stuff in HD. (cant speak for Channel 5 HD though)

25th October 2012.:)

Yeah :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I found the following on the sky website

[Search for supplementary_methodology_for_hd_channels_march_2008.pdf on sky.com to find it]

To qualify as HD
    "the channel may include no less than 640 hours of non-repeating
    native HD programmes in its first 12 months broadcasting in HD,"

So an average of 12.5 hours a week is enough for Sky.

With the Olympics, European Championships and other sport that should not be a problem for RTE 2.

[Search for supplementary_methodology_for_hd_channels_march_2008.pdf on sky.com to find it]

To qualify as HD

With the Olympics, European Championships and other sport that should not be a problem for RTE 2.

I assume they mean an average of 12.5 hours per week through out they year not just during the summer.

non-repeating HD programming, do they watch their own channels?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

To qualify as HD

Well it does say in its first year of broadcasting which for RTÉ 2 HD has officially been since May 2011. We haven't even come close to 300 hours of HD content let alone 600+ in that time.

Even including the coverage we'll get for the Olympics and European Championships I'd still think we'd be short of that 640 hours and that's well into year 2.

An Tarbh wrote: »
    Well it does say in its first year of broadcasting which for RTÉ 2 HD has officially been since May 2011. We haven't even come close to 300 hours of HD content let alone 600+ in that time.

Even including the coverage we'll get for the Olympics and European Championships I'd still think we'd be short of that 640 hours and that's well into year 2.

Anyone know what shows air in HD?

Desperate Housewives
    Grey's Anatomy
    Cogar Town (I Think)
    Is Homeland?

Remember when Widescreen started and RTÉ Two had widescreen movies on Saturdays.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Desperate Housewives
    Grey's Anatomy
    Cogar Town (I Think)
    Is Homeland?

Remember when Widescreen started and RTÉ Two had widescreen movies on Saturdays.

Are you asking if they are aired on RTE in HD or filmed in HD?

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭An Tarbh

Desperate Housewives
    Grey's Anatomy
    Cogar Town (I Think)
    Is Homeland?

Pan Am (not sure anymore since it's on a later slot)
    Desperate Housewives
    Grey's Anatomy.

Think that's it but I'm open to correction.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭glimmerman123

RTE2 HD Now on Sky through other channels. The frequency is 10.744 H 22.0 5/6. You will find it under the label 1270.

RTE2 HD Now on Sky through other channels. The frequency is 10.744 H 22.0 5/6. You will find it under the label 1270.

Are all RTÉ channels available through other channels?

• Advertisement

Are all RTÉ channels available through other channels?
    RTE 2 HD is the only Saorview channel available through other channels as well as the RTE sd Channels, TV3 and TG4.

RTE 2 HD is the only Saorview channel available through other channels as well as the RTE sd Channels, TV3 and TG4.

So all Irish channel are available through the other channels menu on Sky boxes?????

So all Irish channel are available through the other channels menu on Sky boxes?????
    Yes but if you don't have a Sky sub or you live in the UK they will be encrypted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭Manc-Red

I'm delighted this has become available on 28e, I don't expect to see the News & Kids channel on there any-time soon though

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

"Other Channels" should really be referred to as "Manual Tuning" - you basically can tune in any channel which is at 28.2E and which can be viewed by a Sky Digibox. Of course, for a myriad of reasons (mainly that Sky now views itself as a wireless cable service rather than a satellite broadcaster) it has made it difficult to do this. There was talk at one stage that UK regulatory concerns were the only reason the feature was included at all.

icdg wrote: »
    There was talk at one stage that UK regulatory concerns were the only reason the feature was included at all.

Yes, I believe that early revisions of the EPG software did not contain the Other Channels facility.

From RTÉ TEN

http://www.rte.ie/ten/2012/0513/rte.html
    RTÉ's dedicated HD channel RTÉ Two HD is to launch tomorrow May 14th on Sky's HD service, Sky+HD.

RTÉ Two HD will provide Sky's HD customers with access to a wide range of exciting programming including the best international drama and some of the major sporting highlights of the summer, including the Euro 2012, the European Athletics Championships, selected GAA games and the Olympics in HD for the first time.

The multi-year deal will see RTÉ Two HD incorporated into Sky's HD Pack and brings the total number of HD channels available through Sky+HD to 55.

RTÉ Two HD will be located at channel number 102 on the Sky electronic programme guide in Sky+HD homes.

Glen Killane, RTÉ Managing Director of Television said: "RTÉ is committed to bringing its programming to as wide an audience as possible and we're delighted to be able to bring RTÉ Two HD to viewers on the Sky platform."

UPC will have a field day, once you have a HD box you'll get it on UPC. No need for the HD sub.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Karsini wrote: »
    UPC will have a field day, once you have a HD box you'll get it on UPC. No need for the HD sub.

If you get an aerial and a Saorview box, you do not need a sub to get it at all. It is FREE.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

All this messing between UPC and Sky and their must carry obligations will come to a head fairly soon I would imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement