Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such thing as a free emergency vet?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I'm shocked too, because we using this vet too and we really happy with him :eek: They often gave us an discount or when the bill is higher (like the last time with bloodtest, vax....) they even asked if we wanna pay the next time or in steps, so completly diffrent experience then you January:confused:

Good to hear that: courtesy discounts, discretionary payments, staged billing.
    My vet is a gem but has a sign up saying that you have to settle your bill in full before leaving; I queried it and all the girls got emotive and gave so many examples of people who did a runner -people they d known- who took expensive treatments and services and never came back to pay. He does let people pay in stages; but they have to protect themselves too. I agree with AJ totally on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I've edited out the details of this practice as it's getting into mud slinging territory now, (completely based on an experience given in 1 post I might add!)

No further discussion of this please, it's completely irrelevant to the OP's query in any case!

There is no need to reply to this post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

January wrote: »
    Delancey, I'm sure you see the difference between a sick animal and a sick car, one can be caused undue stress being removed from it's owners while it is sick for longer than necessary, while the other can't feel anything.

The above is true of course , as I see it the vet in these cases is damned if he/she does and damned if he/she doesn't.
    Not aiming this at you January but I do sometimes feel that there exists an expectation among some pet owners that vets and their staff are doing their jobs for love of animals and that money should not be an issue.

Fact is that the overheads are as bad for vets as for any business - AFAIK just to keep an x-ray machine registered with the Radiological Protection Board ( another useless QUANGO ) is well over 500 Euro a year.
    Add rent , medicines , wages and all the million and one other costs and vets face the same harsh realities as all other businesses.

I accept that in your case it was very upsetting to hold an animal as ' security ' for an outstanding bill , but I'm sure it would be upsetting for the vet to have someone promise to '' drop the money in '' only to never return.

I suppose this thread shows the importance of having insurance and perhaps even more important - developing a good relationship with your veterinary practice.

Advertisement