Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB online hacked?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 2:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭

Something strange going on with PSTB online banking today - can't see any other reference to this online either. Perhaps some boards members have information?

Today wife logged into online 24 banking system to buy phone credit for the young fellow. On logging off she got 2 texts. Text one was normal and expected - it said the topup was being processed.

Text 2 said roughly "your access to open 24 on-line banking has been suspended, please go to <some non-usual dot org website>to update your account."

Obviously she rang the bank to see what was happening. The weird web address was registered today I discovered when I checked it out. The bank stated that the text was genuine, but that there were technical issues with the on-line banking system and not to use it.

3 hours later they rang her again and stated that the text was not genuine and the technical difficulties were unrelated. They warned her not to use the link supplied (duh) and then said, if she wanted, she could change her on-line account info.

Is it just me or is PTSBs reaction to this horribly flawed? A 3rd party was able to grab my wifes phone number and sms her after she had used PTSBs system and encourage her to log into a spoofed website - and they are acting like its not a big deal, changing account details is just optional.

My security is decent - I've worked in IT and testing industry for 8 years so i feel i know what i am doing. My wife is pretty tech savvy too so it would appear that the security breach is on the banks end (if it were on our end they wouldn't have her phone number anyway).

Has anyone else had any issues like this?

(this is a copy this post, please close whichever one is in the wrong area - thanks!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭obviousTroll

Very interesting.

If PTSB has a third party vendor for sending SMS texts, then they could have been compromised. If fact, I'd suspect this to be the case.

For a bit of fun, can you PM me the address if that's okay? Thanks

EDIT: Yes, PTSB's reply is horribly flawed. If they or another afilliated company have a data breach, then the consumer has a right to know.

Advertisement