Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Permanent TSB online banking hacked?

Options
  • 09-09-2011 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭

Something strange going on with PSTB online banking today - can't see any other reference to this online either. Perhaps some boards members have information?

Today wife logged into online 24 banking system to buy phone credit for the young fellow. On logging off she got 2 texts. Text one was normal and expected - it said the topup was being processed.

Text 2 said roughly "your access to open 24 on-line banking has been suspended, please go to <some non-usual dot org website>to update your account."

Obviously she rang the bank to see what was happening. The weird web address was registered today I discovered when I checked it out. The bank stated that the text was genuine, but that there were technical issues with the on-line banking system and not to use it.

3 hours later they rang her again and stated that the text was not genuine and the technical difficulties were unrelated. They warned her not to use the link supplied (duh) and then said, if she wanted, she could change her on-line account info.

Is it just me or is PTSBs reaction to this horribly flawed? A 3rd party was able to grab my wifes phone number and sms her after she had used PTSBs system and encourage her to log into a spoofed website - and they are acting like its not a big deal, changing account details is just optional.

My security is decent - I've worked in IT and testing industry for 8 years so i feel i know what i am doing. My wife is pretty tech savvy too so it would appear that the security breach is on the banks end (if it were on our end they wouldn't have her phone number anyway).

Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

PTSB seemed to have ****ed up when she first queried the text. I'd be concerned about this attitude from their agent the first time she called and I would follow up to query this with them. I'd also ensure that my account details were reset by PTSB assuming the link has been followed and I would ensure PTSB monitor the account for suspicious transactions given their misinformation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

Got an email in my junk mail sent this morning at around half 11 from info@permanenttsb.ie

Valued open24 Customer,

You have an unconfirmed payment Pending on your account
    Please verify your account information for payment approval

We implore you to follow the link below to verify your account details.

ACCOUNT VERIFICATION

NOTE: You are strictly advised to match your information correctly to avoid service suspension.

Thank you for your co-operation.

Regards

Permanent tsb

Seems like a total hoax but sent from the correct email? (Unless my eyes decieve me)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You can make an email appear to come from any email address you like with minimum effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭shefellover93

BuffyBot wrote: »
    You can make an email appear to come from any email address you like with minimum effort.

Yeah that's fair enough. Will flag it as a phishing scam

Advertisement