Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Male Friends

Options
2»

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I think I might need to start going on man-dates...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

A woman trying to be 'one of the lads' is embarrassing for all concerned.

One of the most common things I hear from women is "I'm not like other women, I have more in common with lads"....

No. You don't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

A piece of advice. There's nothing more boring than a girl talking about some other fella she fancies. So if you want to become friendly with guys, don't be talking about some other guy you fancy or who came onto you or whatever. That talk is meant for your female friends :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

PK2008 wrote: »

One of the most common things I hear from women is "I'm not like other women, I have more in common with lads"....

No. You don't.
    That's unfair generalisation; I'm female and have more male friends than I have female friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

No. You don't.

You realise when girls say this they are talking in general about interests, likes and dislikes, sense of humour, etc, and not the ability to pee standing up and the possession of facial hair? ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Malari wrote: »
    You realise when girls say this they are talking in general about interests, likes and dislikes, sense of humour, etc, and not the ability to pee standing up and the possession of facial hair? ;-)

Some women have facial hair.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Some women have facial hair.

Well, there! They have more in common than you think ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Kash

No. You don't.

I think women who tend to say this are actually trying to say that they are not a girly-girl, and prefer the company of men. I am not 'one of the lads' but I do find it a lot easier to spend time with them than with my girlfriends. It tends to be way more chilled and require far less dancing on eggshells or patience. So it's easy on both sides, and that makes it comfortable. But although I share a lot of interests with the guys (games and gadgets and a solid plan for the eventual zombie invasion) I would consider myself very, very female, and treasure my few girlfriends. We just get on better in smaller doses :)

But for the OP, I've always had more guy friends than girls... I don't have any technique for it other than to make them laugh and occasionally make them food, don't play games and don't expect them to read your mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭gmac102

No. You don't.

That made me laugh, tunnel vision.

I am a not trying to be one of the lads, nor do I want to be. I am a girly girly, does this mean I cant have more male friends? I think not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

No. You don't.

What constitutes trying to be "one of the lads"?

I have a couple of female friends that I would consider to be one of the lads in that I can say pretty much anything to them and them me or that we have a similar sense of humour.None of them try to fit themselves into that bracket,its just who they are and why Im friends with them in the first instance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

gmac102 wrote: »
    on my own, yikes!!!

I've been to all boards beers by myself. Decided to just take a chance and I've met some great people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭AstonMartin

How do we make more female friends?

have a sense of humour, being witty is the best way to get on with the lads. If you score any of them you will be kept at a distance by the other lads in that group.

pub is not the way, they will try to score you or move on.

get involved in a group hobby and take it easy but figure out a way to make it clear to a lad that spending time with you is not going to lead to a shag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

g mac wrote:
    eh i flirt with everyone, i dont even know im doing it. it doesnt matter what age r gender either confused.gif

Well ask yourself why you're doing it. If you continue to flirt with male friends I can assure you some of them will get the wrong impression and will end up hating you.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

nah i disagree with that, i have a female friend that does the same, sure you'd have to be blind to not see thats just how she is, it's part of what makes her so much fun in the first place

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

If you're female, be aware that you're going to get treated differently by most of them at the start - e.g. lots of them will think they need to soften their language or not talk about sex with you, you'll probably get 'preferential' treatment too - such as they'll give up their chair for you for no reason etc. [/SIZE]

Well some girls will get offended or uncomfortable if guys talk the same way as they talk amongst themselves. So some guys might wait till they really know the girl before they make toilet humour jokes, etc.

I remember one girl saying that she just wanted to be one of the lads, so one of my friends starting talking about his most recent trip to the toilet. She soon changed her mind.

Rossin wrote: »
    nah i disagree with that, i have a female friend that does the same, sure you'd have to be blind to not see thats just how she is, it's part of what makes her so much fun in the first place

Same as myself. As long as you both know the score, flirting is harmless.

Thank you both of you :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

I just get talking to the men in the groups more than the women. Being avid coffee drinkers I get to bump into them during the day in the local for a cup and they're always good for a friendly chat and every now and again (especially at the weekends) it leads to a decent night out. I work with a lad and we often go together to wherever before or after work and up meeting mutual friends that are a mix of both but I still end up mostly in the boys corner. I think at this stage I need a decent lady friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

Rossin wrote: »

The problem is not all guys will know whats going on.

I have 2 friends who pulls the "its just my personality" line, I don't believe them, I think they just likes flirting and the reaction, but the point is both of them have a mile long queue of men who they became close friends with, and later fell out with because of this.

THey both flirt with me sometimes. I find it a bit pathetic but I don't like them in that way so I don't particularly care.

They're both the type of girls who say they prefer to have male friends. Seems to be a pattern actually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

I agree in that I think people know what they are doing, they just sometimes like to pretend they don't.

Anyway if you are looking to make guys friends, here are some things to avoid. Don't start talking about relationships, feelings, worrying that you might be pregnant, guys you like and guys you want to hook up with. Those last three are especially uninteresting to guys unless the we are the guy in question. Save those topics for your female friends. Nothing puts me to sleep faster than a girl talking about that stuff.

We also don't believe in going for dinner for every occasion, at least I don't. I never quite understood the automatic reflex women have that says "lets go to dinner" for every social occasion.

• Advertisement

Is it possible for this thread to be closed please?

gmac102 wrote: »
    Is it possible for this thread to be closed please?

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Kanoe

Why?
    probably because of the suggestion the op is only interested in male attention rather than male company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Closed at OPs request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement