Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

New Educate Together School for Knocknacarra?

  • 08-09-2011 1:46pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭✭ ETWest


    Educate Together, the patron body form multi-denominational schools in Ireland, is applying to open a primary school in Knocknacarra, Galway, in September 2013.

    A public meeting & launch of the pre-enrolment list for the proposed new school takes place in The Clybaun Hotel, Knocknacarra on Wednesday September 21st @ 7:30pm.

    For further information, contact <snip>


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,194 magentas


    where exactly are they planning to have this school? Didn't a new primary school just open last year? And there's the Gaelscoil on Cappagh Rd.

    I wouldn't have thought there'd be demand for another


  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ✭✭✭ ETWest


    Hi Magentas, the decision to open another school is being made by the Department of Education & Skills - they think that there is a demand for another school. Its based on demand into the future, from 2013 onwards.

    The type of school is not decided yet, but Educate Together are hoping that it will be an Educate Together school.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 scholar007


    ETWest wrote: »
    Hi Magentas, the decision to open another school is being made by the Department of Education & Skills - they think that there is a demand for another school. Its based on demand into the future, from 2013 onwards.

    The type of school is not decided yet, but Educate Together are hoping that it will be an Educate Together school.

    What exactly is an Educate Together school? I thought all kids got educated together in the one classroom?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭ Seaneh


    Educate together just means it will be a secular school and won't be biased toward any one faith, so Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Atheists can all be confidennt their kids won't be thought something they don't want them being taught, which isn't true of 90something % of primary schools in the country.

    That's the theory anyway.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,577 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Robbo


    Seaneh wrote: »
    Educate together just means it will be a secular school and won't be biased toward any one faith, so Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Atheists can all be confidennt their kids won't be thought something they don't want them being taught, which isn't true of 90something % of primary schools in the country.

    That's the theory anyway.
    I'll only get behind this if Glycon and the FSM get a fair airing as well.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 scholar007


    Seaneh wrote: »
    Educate together just means it will be a secular school and won't be biased toward any one faith, so Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Atheists can all be confidennt their kids won't be thought something they don't want them being taught, which isn't true of 90something % of primary schools in the country.

    That's the theory anyway.

    Oh I see now, a non-religious school. Just one question, how do the kids get prepared for their Holy Communion / Confirmation and the equivalent Muslim, Hindu etc. sacraments? Is that left up to the parents?


  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭ Das Kitty


    Seaneh wrote: »
    Educate together just means it will be a secular school and won't be biased toward any one faith, so Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Atheists can all be confidennt their kids won't be thought something they don't want them being taught, which isn't true of 90something % of primary schools in the country.

    That's the theory anyway.


    Well partially.

    There's also the element that the board of management is made up of the parents. The problem with this can be that sometimes people put themselves forward who are very hard to deal with! A friend of mine has a child in one and she's driven demented by some of the other parents. :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭ pg633


    scholar007 wrote: »
    Oh I see now, a non-religious school. Just one question, how do the kids get prepared for their Holy Communion / Confirmation and the equivalent Muslim, Hindu etc. sacraments? Is that left up to the parents?
    Up to the parents to arrange Sunday school with the local priest or whatever.

    I would wonder how many people would be up and out on a Saturday or Sunday morning if that was standard.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 scholar007


    pg633 wrote: »
    Up to the parents to arrange Sunday school with the local priest or whatever.

    I would wonder how many people would be up and out on a Saturday or Sunday morning if that was standard.

    Sunday School? - Sounds like little house on the prarie. I'm happy if my kids go to school from Monday to Friday.


  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators Posts: 81,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭ biko


    Thread under discussion.


  • Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement