Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Educate Together School for Knocknacarra?

• 08-09-2011 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9 ETWest

Educate Together, the patron body form multi-denominational schools in Ireland, is applying to open a primary school in Knocknacarra, Galway, in September 2013.

A public meeting & launch of the pre-enrolment list for the proposed new school takes place in The Clybaun Hotel, Knocknacarra on Wednesday September 21st @ 7:30pm.

For further information, contact <snip>

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

where exactly are they planning to have this school? Didn't a new primary school just open last year? And there's the Gaelscoil on Cappagh Rd.

I wouldn't have thought there'd be demand for another

• Registered Users Posts: 9 ETWest

Hi Magentas, the decision to open another school is being made by the Department of Education & Skills - they think that there is a demand for another school. Its based on demand into the future, from 2013 onwards.

The type of school is not decided yet, but Educate Together are hoping that it will be an Educate Together school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

ETWest wrote: »
    Hi Magentas, the decision to open another school is being made by the Department of Education & Skills - they think that there is a demand for another school. Its based on demand into the future, from 2013 onwards.

The type of school is not decided yet, but Educate Together are hoping that it will be an Educate Together school.

What exactly is an Educate Together school? I thought all kids got educated together in the one classroom?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Educate together just means it will be a secular school and won't be biased toward any one faith, so Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Atheists can all be confidennt their kids won't be thought something they don't want them being taught, which isn't true of 90something % of primary schools in the country.

That's the theory anyway.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Seaneh wrote: »
    Educate together just means it will be a secular school and won't be biased toward any one faith, so Muslims, Hindus, Christians and Atheists can all be confidennt their kids won't be thought something they don't want them being taught, which isn't true of 90something % of primary schools in the country.

I'll only get behind this if Glycon and the FSM get a fair airing as well.

• Advertisement

Oh I see now, a non-religious school. Just one question, how do the kids get prepared for their Holy Communion / Confirmation and the equivalent Muslim, Hindu etc. sacraments? Is that left up to the parents?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Well partially.

There's also the element that the board of management is made up of the parents. The problem with this can be that sometimes people put themselves forward who are very hard to deal with! A friend of mine has a child in one and she's driven demented by some of the other parents. :D

• scholar007 wrote: »
    Oh I see now, a non-religious school. Just one question, how do the kids get prepared for their Holy Communion / Confirmation and the equivalent Muslim, Hindu etc. sacraments? Is that left up to the parents?
    Up to the parents to arrange Sunday school with the local priest or whatever.

I would wonder how many people would be up and out on a Saturday or Sunday morning if that was standard.

Up to the parents to arrange Sunday school with the local priest or whatever.

I would wonder how many people would be up and out on a Saturday or Sunday morning if that was standard.

Sunday School? - Sounds like little house on the prarie. I'm happy if my kids go to school from Monday to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Thread under discussion.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement