Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike to Work scheme - the Megathread - Read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    I may be wrong but I got this off https://www.revenue.ie/en/employing-people/what-constitutes-pay/items-not-treated-as-pay/provision-of-bicycles-for-directors-and-employees.aspx

Value-Added Tax (VAT) on bicycles or safety equipment purchased

You must pay VAT on bicycles or safety equipment purchased for your employees. You cannot claim VAT back as the equipment is not used for the purposes of taxable supplies.

I presume the thinking on self employed version of the bike to work scheme is that you can either pay the VAT on it and put in a note to revenue that you availed of the scheme when you submit your annual pay for the likes of PRSI and USC.

If you claim it as a business expense, then it is effectively a company vehicle, so long as you can stand over that with Revenue, then it shouldn't be an issue. You certianly wouldn't be tied down to once every 4 years or upgrading parts etc. but revenue would have to agree it is a legitimate business expense.

*I am not an accountant

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Red1963

Does anyone know if this is right. Went into halfords today to enquire about getting a bike through the cycle to work scheme and was told that they are no longer doing it. Just think it's very strange with the amount of bikes being bought on it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

halfords are no longer doing it? no reason given?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Red1963

Said they are going to be doing their own one in few weeks. Doesn't sound right. That was in Naas

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,136 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

maybe they're not accepting the vouchers from the middlemen who 'operate' the scheme on behalf of some companies, but it's not as if a shop can opt out of it in general.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Saw this thread the other day and I can confirm it's false. As in halfords is still doing cycle to work, was in there today and got an invoice for bike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

If Halfords ever accepted "Bike2Work" vouchers, it had been long time ago. I don't think Decathlon ever did either.

They have no issue with dealing with employer directly.

I think this is a classic mix up of the middlemen vs the actual scheme. All bike shops facilitate the scheme, even if they know nothing about it, as the scheme is just the employer buying a bike. The middlemen that some companies use however are not used by everyone, small shops can't afford to refuse them but big retailers can because the middlemen take 10% and why would they give over a huge chunk of their profit.

On a side rant, considering how easy the scheme is to administer, and how much work the middlemen make you do (they effectively make you administer the scheme anyway), I really wish they were banned as I am convinced they are teetering on a very fine line on not actually being in line with the legal wording of the scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

I got my last bike about five years ago from Halfords using one of the middlemen vouchers. I don't see how they could set up their own system because (in my case anyway) employers will just say choose a shop that does accept the voucher if Halfords won't. They aren't going to change anything to suit one retailer.

I don't like the system either. It seems to be money for old rope for the middleman and actually causes problems for the purchaser.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

plodder wrote: »
    I don't like the system either. It seems to be money for old rope for the middleman and actually causes problems for the purchaser.
    As there is a cost to the retailer by the middlemen, it meant that the retailer could not give me a discount when I got my last bike. It cost me about €100. Its a legal scam!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,262 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Anytime I used it, it was very simple. Get invoice, give invoice to employer, employer give me cheque for amount on invoice. How a middle man is needed for such a simple process is beyond me!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Cienciano wrote: »
    Anytime I used it, it was very simple. Get invoice, give invoice to employer, employer give me cheque for amount on invoice. How a middle man is needed for such a simple process is beyond me!

Companies hardly still use cheques these days. Electronic transfer and pick up at your leisure. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Cienciano wrote: »

If you have 1500 employees and same invoices, this becomes an annoyance.

It does cost the employer noting to use the middleman. Why wouldn't they use it if it is employee that bears the cost.

plodder wrote: »
    I got my last bike about five years ago from Halfords using one of the middlemen vouchers. I don't see how they could set up their own system because (in my case anyway) employers will just say choose a shop that does accept the voucher if Halfords won't. They aren't going to change anything to suit one retailer.

Halfords used the An Post cards, one4all so it wasn't really something they had to set up as they already used them as a form of payment.
    grogi wrote: »
    If you have 1500 employees and same invoices, this becomes an annoyance.

It does cost the employer noting to use the middleman. Why wouldn't they use it if it is employee that bears the cost.
    because most of them make them do most of the work anyway, and dress it up as a time saver when it's not. The only thing it does is limit them to one payee but a big company could pick a few local bike shops, employees can still get a discount, brings loads of cash to the local economy and isn't any harder for them to implement. Just an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

Been trying to contact Cycle Superstore for days, via email or phone, but nobody answers.
    Are they closed?
    Want to buy a Cube with BTW scheme, that is not in stock and would like to see if I can place a pre-order, how long it will take, etc.

Any other stores, preferably north of Dublin, that deal Cube, support BTW scheme and are reliable and open?

Wizard! wrote: »
    Been trying to contact Cycle Superstore for days, via email or phone, but nobody answers.
    Are they closed?
    Want to buy a Cube with BTW scheme, that is not in stock and would like to see if I can place a pre-order, how long it will take, etc.

Any other stores, preferably north of Dublin, that deal Cube, support BTW scheme and are reliable and open?

They are open but out the door, I was in the other day to pick up a thru axle. 3 week wait for any work, adverts for bike mechanics and front of house staff, place is out the door with bikes so you might be better just calling in

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Wizard!

CramCycle wrote: »
    They are open but out the door, I was in the other day to pick up a thru axle. 3 week wait for any work, adverts for bike mechanics and front of house staff, place is out the door with bikes so you might be better just calling in

Thank you.
    I am 40km away I just don't want to do the trip just to ask 2 questions, apart from the fact that I am not allowed to travel that far...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,370 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Wizard! wrote: »
    Thank you.
    I am 40km away I just don't want to do the trip just to ask 2 questions, apart from the fact that I am not allowed to travel that far...

I don't fancy your chances of ordering a specific bike, it's very pot luck on what stock they get in at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭plodder

As there is a cost to the retailer by the middlemen, it meant that the retailer could not give me a discount when I got my last bike. It cost me about €100. Its a legal scam!
    The exact same happened to me. The bike I wanted was offered with a €100 discount, but which didn't apply when using bike to work. So, the punter is just paying €100 to the middleman.

I've had my eye on another bike also in Halfords but they don't often have it in stock at the moment, and where I work we only have a 1 week window every month to use the scheme. So, it's unlikely I'd be able to jump on it if one is available at short notice. It's all very messy.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭rash

Are Cycle Superstore bike distributors as well by any chance.

They seem to have a cube that I'm looking at, my local shop seem to have issues getting stock of most bikes at the moment. I need to deal locally for BTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭Mickiemcfist

Bring a coat, I was standing outside the door waiting to get in for about 40 mins 3 weeks ago.

rash wrote: »
    Are Cycle Superstore bike distributors as well by any chance.

They seem to have a cube that I'm looking at, my local shop seem to have issues getting stock of most bikes at the moment. I need to deal locally for BTW.
    I had a feeling they were as my LBS used to get stock from them before they closed but I can't find it online.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭secman

I had a feeling they were as my LBS used to get stock from them before they closed but I can't find it online.

They might be the agent for the "Look" bikes as when i had a problem with Look blade pedals i contacted CSS where i bought them , as it was the weekend I was in Wexford, CSS told me to go to the bike shop in Wexford town and they arranged a swap for me as they told me they were the agents for Look.
    I have a few prople in work looking for the bike to work but they are have difficulty sourcing anything in the €1000 bracket. Lots of " out of stock " messages on sites.

secman wrote: »
    difficulty sourcing anything in the €1000 bracket. Lots of " out of stock " messages on sites.

My bike was about a 3 month expected delay when I ordered it form them but I got lucky and it was delivered in 6 weeks. There are alot on the shop floor but they are clearly looking for loads of staff to take up the slack in there.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I got a new CX road bike on Saturday on the bike to work - boss paid for them friday morning via bank transfer and it went through straight away. Simple transaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 taocall

I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience lately I ordered a bike on the scheme back in October from Cyclebike.ie its a Cube and I still haven't received the bike. They keep saying they have no update from the factory on the shipping of the bike. Has anyone else had this issue at this stage I am thinking of trying to get a refund but dont want to have to wait even longer to get a bike.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Has your employer paid for the bike yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 taocall

Yep its come off my salary monthly since october

• Registered Users Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

taocall wrote: »
    I am wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience lately I ordered a bike on the scheme back in October from Cyclebike.ie its a Cube and I still haven't received the bike. They keep saying they have no update from the factory on the shipping of the bike. Has anyone else had this issue at this stage I am thinking of trying to get a refund but dont want to have to wait even longer to get a bike.

It's strange they sold it to you without knowing when they would have it in stock. I went to buy a bike in cycle superstore recently on the bike to work scheme and for what I was looking for they straight up told me they had nothing in stock and don't know when they will. They said stock is coming in erratically and best bet was to ring them weekly and see what they had on the horizon for delivery. They were honest with me to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,572 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

taocall wrote: »

Yes, have had almost the same experience. Its very frustrating - its not the retailers fault to be fair. The only thing I would really criticise them on is perhaps having a better explanation for the delay than "we haven't had any updates from Cube".

......well then go and get a fuppin update from Cube. Whats going on.....

Incidentally, different retailer.

I have a deposit down 7 months now, and its nominally due next month but I would be amazed.

The other issue is that I suspect the price I put the deposit down on will be 300 euro shy of the price that it is eventually sold at.

I've a post on this on another thread - there is a Cannondale I am looking at as an alternative to the Cube I have deposit on - its available, but price is circa 400 up on what the exact same 2021 model was selling for before Christmas. Really leaves a bad taste.

Advertisement