Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good diesel car for €17-€19K

• 07-09-2011 12:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

Right the time has come to get rid of my Corsa, sad yet delighted its going.

Now due to work, I'll need a diesel. Something like a Mondeo, Passat, Accord.

Found a lovely 08' GHIA Model Mondeo for €18K. Is the GHIA a good spec or basic ?

Or a 08' Accord, €19K and 32K miles.

I test drove the 1 car since I started my search........07' Citroen C6 HDi, never driven as good as this...EVER. Absolutely brilliant. Slightly more expensive , but only 20K miles on it (Mondeo has slightly less). €20000 but by God is it nice.

Can't think of anything wrong with it. Love its looks, the way it drives etc.

Now its between the C6 & Mondeo. 32K miles is a bit much with all the driving I do to be honest.

Heres the C6

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C6/2.7-HDi-/201136204307983/advert?channel=CARS

What are your opinions ?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭deadlast

Ensti wrote: »
    Right the time has come to get rid of my Corsa, sad yet delighted its going.

Now due to work, I'll need a diesel. Something like a Mondeo, Passat, Accord.

Found a lovely 08' GHIA Model Mondeo for €18K. Is the GHIA a good spec or basic ?

Or a 08' Accord, €19K and 32K miles.

I test drove the 1 car since I started my search........07' Citroen C6 HDi, never driven as good as this...EVER. Absolutely brilliant. Slightly more expensive , but only 20K miles on it (Mondeo has slightly less). €20000 but by God is it nice.

Now its between the C6 & Mondeo. 32K miles is a bit much with all the driving I do to be honest.

Heres the C6

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Citroen/C6/2.7-HDi-/201136204307983/advert?channel=CARS

Heres the Mondeo

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Mondeo/2.0lt-DI/201122202647356/advert?channel=CARS

What are your opinions ?
    Thanks
    You could get a 08 diesel Mondeo for €10k..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Ensti

deadlast wrote: »
    You could get a 08 diesel Mondeo for €10k..

With 18K miles ? And after reading about them on the net, GHIA is a pretty god spec too, doubt you'd get a GHIA with 18K miles for €10K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,339 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That Mondeo is well overpriced, here is a 09 for similar money:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201127203247330

C6 is in a different league, ideal mile muncher, that one seems good value if it includes VRT but the motor tax would be a hard pill to swallow.

bazz26 wrote: »
    That Mondeo is well overpriced, here is a 09 for similar money:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201127203247330

C6 is in a different league, ideal mile muncher, that one seems good value if it includes VRT but the motor tax would be a hard pill to swallow.

Cheers, might give that one a call

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

C6C6C6C6C6C6C6C6C6C6C6C6C6C6. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM C6.

• Advertisement

Mondeos are cheap in the UK, might be worth taking a trip up North or across the Irish Sea. Titanium X is higher spec than the Ghia too.

An example:
    http://www.usedcarsni.com/77453641

That one looks nice alright, I'd love a Titanium X just wouldn't be into sorting out VRT etc

It's not that much hassle considering the potential savings to be made.

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's not that much hassle considering the potential savings to be made.

Very true, I had a UK plate Audi A6 before. Got stopped quite a few times in the days it took to get VRT sorted. Will definitely consider it now that you say it.

Would this 09 Titanium X have low tax even though its originally a UK car ?
    Tax on that C6 will be a killer !!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

• Advertisement

166man wrote: »

Wouldn't really go for an Alfa, but €19K for something nearly brand new....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Get the C6. You owe it to left fielders everywhere. You'll love the looks and above all the presence from the outside. I was in a taxi one last year, a bit dull inside but a lovely machine altogether. I scratched it though when I crashed into him on my road bike and had to cough up E250 shekels to put it right. Still, I got a free taxi ride in a car I'd always had a soft spot for. Every cloud...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

You need to be thinking audi or bmw with that kinda money.

Really really tempted on buying that C6 ? Anyone know if a dealer would hold a car for about 7-10 days ? I'd imagine so if I'm giving him cash....?

oh yeah, give him a deposit and he'll hold onto it.

You need to be thinking audi or bmw with that kinda money.

Well, with this kind of money and with what I'm looking for my only choice in BMW would be a 5 series, and for never really looked at Audi..

Well, with this kind of money and with what I'm looking for my only choice in BMW would be a 5 series, and for never really looked at Audi..

Ah no! Not another 5 Series diesel or Audi diesel. Go for the C6. The mechanicals are proven as the engine is used in loads of cars such as Peugeots, Jaguars and others I can't recall. The suspension is cheap to maintain too. I'd give it serious consideration.

Yeah, I was trying to say I wouldn't go for a 5 Series or Audi. They're just too common..!!
    And I am giving this C6 serious consideration.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Keith in cork

Yeah, I was trying to say I wouldn't go for a 5 Series or Audi. They're just too common..!!
    And I am giving this C6 serious consideration.

Theres a reason their common ;)

Also, i don't see why your restricted to the 5. The 5 happens to be my choice when it comes to bmw ownership but thats neither here not there.

Do you have to spend the 18k? Could you not go for a well spec'd and well kept 10k car, years tax . Plenty cash left on the side, for a rainy day...... and lets be honest, every day seems to be one these days.

*quietly deletes link to Skoda Octavia diesel...

:D

• Advertisement

*quietly deletes link to Skoda Octavia diesel...

:D

Good one, :D

Good one, :D

Can we avoid needless discussion of the Superb too?

Theres a reason their common ;)

Also, i don't see why your restricted to the 5. The 5 happens to be my choice when it comes to bmw ownership but thats neither here not there.

Do you have to spend the 18k? Could you not go for a well spec'd and well kept 10k car, years tax . Plenty cash left on the side, for a rainy day...... and lets be honest, every day seems to be one these days.

Really don't want to spend the €18K as I'm building a house at the moment.
    But, I'm looking for something as new as possible.(Low mileage, Sell it on when NCT comes around, Cheap tax etc) I drive from Dublin to Kerry every Monday and back again on Saturday so low mileage is necessary and I can't find anything for about €10K. Originally I wasn't going to go as low as a 2007, but I just love that Citroen. Won't go for any other car under 2008. Kills me to have to do it, but its just what happens.

But, I'm looking for something as new as possible.(Low mileage, Sell it on when NCT comes around, Cheap tax etc) I drive from Dublin to Kerry every Monday and back again on Saturday so low mileage is necessary and I can't find anything for about €10K. Originally I wasn't going to go as low as a 2007, but I just love that Citroen. Won't go for any other car under 2008. Kills me to have to do it, but its just what happens.

That Citroen probably won't hold its value very well and the tax will kill it trying to sell it on, here's a serious suggestion

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI-/201135204159872/advert?channel=CARS

Low tax, low mileage, good resale values etc...

That Citroen probably won't hold its value very well and the tax will kill it trying to sell it on, here's a serious suggestion

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A4/1.9-TDI-/201135204159872/advert?channel=CARS

Low tax, low mileage, good resale values etc...

I know the Citroen won't hold its value. I'm going to trade it in against a newer car in a couple of years, I'd highly doubt I'd sell it privately.

I'm going to gather all of the cars I'm interested in and have a long and hard think about it. I just really have my heart set on that C6 now.

If you love the Citroen you should just man up and buy it. :)

I know the Citroen won't hold its value. I'm going to trade it in against a newer car in a couple of years, I'd highly doubt I'd sell it privately.

I'm going to gather all of the cars I'm interested in and have a long and hard think about it. I just really have my heart set on that C6 now.

A C6 will be a surprisingly desirable car in a few years. Not many about. I doubt you'll be looking long for buyers.

coolbeans wrote: »
    If you love the Citroen you should just man up and buy it. :)

My GF HATES the Citroen, that gives me even more reason to buy it :p

Gotta assert yourself man. Can't be towing the line all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

Sure what do women know? All they want is something that looks shiny and has either four rings or a blue propellor on the grille/bonnet.

Would this be worth having a look at ? Finish work at 12 tomorrow so I'll call into a few dealers tomorrow.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Chrysler/300C/LE300C-3/201110201566657/advert?channel=CARS

VolvoMan wrote: »
    Sure what do women know? All they want is something that looks shiny and has either four rings or a blue propellor on the grille/bonnet.

:p

VolvoMan wrote: »

I laugh and laugh twice when I think of the job the mods will have trying to decide whether that's sexist or not. :D

Would this be worth having a look at ? Finish work at 12 tomorrow so I'll call into a few dealers tomorrow.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Chrysler/300C/LE300C-3/201110201566657/advert?channel=CARS

Interesting choice. The image is a bit "pre recession" though and I have no clue what they're like to own.
    Have you considered the Citroen C6 at all?;)

Interesting choice. The image is a bit "pre recession" though and I have no clue what they're like to own.
    Have you considered the Citroen C6 at all?;)

So far, the C6 is 1st on the list. I'll definitely be going back to the garage and take it on another final test drive. Just don't know if it will hold is value...?

I'm all confused !!! :confused: :mad:

• Advertisement

None of the cars you are talking about will hold their value particularly well. Also, the difference in value at end of ownership between the C6 and the others like a Mondeo or whatever will be pretty small and possibly non existent in the scheme of things.

In summary, if you're confused, buy the C6 and rejoice in the fact that you're no longer confused and go off to the leaba happy in the knowledge that you'll soon be the proud owner of a C6.

None of the cars you are talking about will hold their value particularly well. Also, the difference in value at end of ownership between the C6 and the others like a Mondeo or whatever will be pretty small and possibly non existent in the scheme of things.

In summary, if you're confused, buy the C6 and rejoice in the fact that you're no longer confused and go off to the leaba happy in the knowledge that you'll soon be the proud owner of a C6.

Its almost as if YOU want me to get the C6.....I'll post a few photos of what I end up buying..shouldn't be too long

I just like 'em. They're underrated.

I just like 'em. They're underrated.

too true.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

Heres the C6

What are your opinions ?
    Thanks

2007 with a 2.7 engine, your local tax office will love you

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,708 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

snowman707 wrote: »
    2007 with a 2.7 engine, your local tax office will love you

It baffles me why anyone would splash out 18 grand on a car and worry too much about tax. Especially if he's planning to trade her in in a couple of years.

I will own a C6 one day.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭snowman707

It baffles me why anyone would splash out 18 grand on a car and worry too much about tax. Especially if he's planning to trade her in in a couple of years.

I will own a C6 one day.

Op asked for opinions and I gave mine

what will it be worth in a couple of years? If I were buying with view to selling in a couple of years I would go for a 09 which would have much more appeal

you have your opinion, I have mine, maybe we are thinking of our own circumstances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

C6
    trumpeter-swan-majestic.jpg

Chrysler
    rat_1403977c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Really really tempted on buying that C6 ? Anyone know if a dealer would hold a car for about 7-10 days ? I'd imagine so if I'm giving him cash....?

Id imagine the car would still be there in ten days. Mondeo is a bit boring looking. C6 is a different class to mondeo.

Where's the octavia/superb brigade?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Where's the octavia/superb brigade?

Why would an Octavia be considered against a Mondeo or C5? It's not in the same class.

EPM wrote: »
    Why would an Octavia be considered against a Mondeo or C5? It's not in the same class.

It isn't technically in the same class as a C5 but still its very close I think 200mm in difference length ways. The Skoda probably has the bigger boot too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

It isn't technically in the same class as a C5 but still its very close I think 200mm in difference length ways. The Skoda probably has the bigger boot too...

You searched out the length of the cars to mention the boot? People are really scraping to find new inventive ways of getting that old nugget of hilarity in these days:p:);)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Skoda/Superb/AMBITION/201129203450302/advert?channel=CARS

Superb? The 'Ol man has one and i think they're a great drive (this coming from someone who's 17) :pac:

EPM wrote: »
    You searched out the length of the cars to mention the boot? People are really scraping to find new inventive ways of getting that old nugget of hilarity in these days:p:);)

Believe it or not an aunt of mine who currently has an octavia is looking at buying a new car and is tempted by the 1.6 HDI Citroen, she is a fan of the Octavia though so I did a comparison of them both... ;)

There really isn't much between the C5 and the Skoda...

• Advertisement
Advertisement