Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need ideas for volunteering?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,676 ✭✭✭

Hey all, this is probably not the ideal place to put this thread but i couldnt find a more appropriate one.

I'm in college at the moment but ive always loved the idea of volunteering part time. The idea of training and learning new things is a major factor but of course meeting new people and helping those in need is as much a part of my interest as any other. Im particularly interested in quite active volunteering e.g RNLI, but thats about all i can think of. I know the fire service doesnt take volunteers (not that i would have the fitness for it) and i wouldnt be overly keen to join the guards. Can anyone suggest any other services/organisations that take volunteers and might fit what im after?

Im in Dublin incidentally.

Cheers everyone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Would you be interested in St.John Ambulance? A first Aid Organisation and it is very easy to meet new people and is always looking for new members.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Order Of Malta Ambulance Corps

St John Ambulance Brigade

Irish Red Cross

Civil Defence

RNLI

And there is plenty more.......

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

I'd second the suggestion of a first-aid organisation like Order of Malta or the Red Cross.

The RNLI require you live within a certain distance of the station which you might find impractical in the near future. Civil Defence probably isn't a great option now as the waiting lists in Dublin are long, although I'm open to correction on that. They do provide an auxiliary fire service though if that was a direction you'd be interested in long-term.

Whatever service you might find yourself in long-term, a good grounding in emergency medical treatment will be invaluable. Who knows where you'll be or what opportunities you'll have by the time you're finished college. Get your first-aid experience now and you'l have lots to offer wherever you end up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭Mr Motorcycle

dr gonzo wrote: »
    Hey all, this is probably not the ideal place to put this thread but i couldnt find a more appropriate one.

I'm in college at the moment but ive always loved the idea of volunteering part time. The idea of training and learning new things is a major factor but of course meeting new people and helping those in need is as much a part of my interest as any other. Im particularly interested in quite active volunteering e.g RNLI, but thats about all i can think of. I know the fire service doesnt take volunteers (not that i would have the fitness for it) and i wouldnt be overly keen to join the guards. Can anyone suggest any other services/organisations that take volunteers and might fit what im after?

Im in Dublin incidentally.

Cheers everyone.

Check out www.bloodbikeeast might be of intrested to you

• Advertisement
Advertisement