Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alien invasion

Options
  • 05-09-2011 3:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭

Anyone read the book by Travis S. Taylor & Bob Boan? Having read it I must admit the scientific possibilities of alien contact are worrying! The general premise of the book is that it's just a matter of time before ET turns up & that statistically they'll be hostile. It also gives what I think are plausible reasons why governments remain largely silent on the subject. Any else here read it? If so what do you think? Or are governments actively planning for this in the meantime?

What do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

The Skulls wrote: »
    Anyone read the book by Travis S. Taylor & Bob Boan? Having read it I must admit the scientific possibilities of alien contact are worrying! The general premise of the book is that it's just a matter of time before ET turns up & that statistically they'll be hostile. It also gives what I think are plausible reasons why governments remain largely silent on the subject. Any else here read it? If so what do you think? Or are governments actively planning for this in the meantime?

What do you think?

What statistics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

We are not a hostile race why would they be?

I dont buy into this Aliens will invade because if so these "greys" have been watching us since the 50's at least why would they wait 50 years while we get more advanced and civilised with each other to invade?

We are not a hostile race why would they be?

I dont buy into this Aliens will invade because if so these "greys" have been watching us since the 50's at least why would they wait 50 years while we get more advanced and civilised with each other to invade?

Can't say I agree with humans not being hostile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

What do you think?

Oh my God - Lizards dressed as humans are coming to kill us all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Gumbi wrote: »
    What statistics?

I think it's based on the idea that every time in our history a more technologically advanced civilisation meets a less developed one the result was always subjugation and exploitation.

Which makes the, frankly arrogant, assumption that our inability to not be warmongering shitheels for more than five seconds is a universal constant as opposed to just our own little violent quirk.

Which makes it more a case of projection rather than something actually statistical.

• Advertisement

I think it's based on the idea that every time in our history a more technologically advanced civilisation meets a less developed one the result was always subjugation and exploitation.

Which makes the, frankly arrogant, assumption that our inability to not be warmongering shitheels for more than five seconds is a universal constant as opposed to just our own little violent quirk.

Which makes it more a case of projection rather than something actually statistical.

Ah, I see. It's a fair assumption; but as you said, nothing more.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

If they can travel across space they could wipe us out in the blink of an eye in fairness.

The fact that we are still here should lead to the conclusion that if very advanced civilisations exist and have managed interstellar travel then they are most likely peaceful ones.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Honestly it's hard to know what way aliens will come.

Lets be honest if an alien civilisation has the technology to cross space they will have no issues wiping us from the face of the planet.

However there may be aliens like the Asgard from SG that are benevolent.

We may encounter the Gao'ould or someone like that that either just want to destroy us or enslave us.

We may enter someone like the guys from Earth Final Conflict that come with open arms but have a secret agenda.

Finally they'll come for our resources (something i dont think is likely as frankly there are easier places to get water or whatever)
    Even if they are advanced they'll suffer losses either in a conventional war or if things are going really bad humans will resort to nukes.

Gumbi wrote: »
    Can't say I agree with humans not being hostile.

Agreed maybe I should have said we wouldnt invade another world if we had the technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Even if they are advanced they'll suffer losses either in a conventional war or if things are going really bad humans will resort to nukes.
    I'm not really sure on that one tbh. Generously, any alien species capable of travelling such insane distances and to do so for such frivilous exploits like conquering an alien planet, will be a minimum of 2,000 years ahead of us, more likely 5,000 years.

Our ability to resist in that case is practically nil. Think of spears and swords against carpet bombers.

Of course, if you travel across the great expanse, you probably have a good deal of patience. A series of EMP bursts along with a series of fusion/antimatter bombs will completely destroy society and the resultant weather changes and loss of technology will mean that probably 99% of the world's population will starve in a year or two. Such weaponry would be child's play to an advanced race.

Of course, the only reason they would be hostile is if they're looking for resources. Otherwise any effort to eradicate us would just be waste.

I think it all really hinges on whether life is plentiful or rare in the universe. In the former case, any passing ETs would likely consider us worthy of study, like we would study any animal. But there would be no particular reason to merit us special attention - we'd appear no more sentient to them, than apes do to us. We'd just be one of 5000 other worlds teeming with life that they're studying.

If it's the latter, and life is very rare in the universe, then they would likely attempt to make some kind of direct contact rather than subvert and destroy us.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    I'm not really sure on that one tbh. Generously, any alien species capable of travelling such insane distances and to do so for such frivilous exploits like conquering an alien planet, will be a minimum of 2,000 years ahead of us, more likely 5,000 years.

Our ability to resist in that case is practically nil. Think of spears and swords against carpet bombers.

+1

I seen a documentary on something like that,for them to travel in space they would need shields that would deflect things far stronger than a nuclear bomb.

Imagine a small rock in space as you travel at lightspeed.......

Although in the very same doc they theorised that these aliens would not understand guerilla warfare as we do and sneak attacks would aid us using inferior tech to what we actually use now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭saywhatyousee

Jonny7 wrote: »
    If they can travel across space they could wipe us out in the blink of an eye in fairness.

The fact that we are still here should lead to the conclusion that if very advanced civilisations exist and have managed interstellar travel then they are most likely peaceful ones.

I have to disagree with that.Basing the next part on human behaviour patterns.Most intelligent humans are physcopaths.It would be pretty naive to think aliens are any different.If you know you are smarter than another race then your obviously going to treat them with a certain amount of disdain,and not see them as equals.It does not really make much sense either blowing up the planet,it would be much more benefical to treat the inhabitants as a slave race.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most intelligent humans are physcopaths
    What are you basing that on? Even if it were true, there is nothing to indicate that as the base intelligence of a species/population increases, the number of psychopaths does too.

seamus wrote: »
    What are you basing that on? Even if it were true, there is nothing to indicate that as the base intelligence of a species/population increases, the number of psychopaths does too.

Personal experience.To be intelligent you have to show certain psychopathic tendencies.The term psychopath get branded around a lot these days,most people think a psychopath is a schizophrenic.A psychopath is much more dangerous emotionless,cold,calculating,remorseless,intelligent.Sounds like the boss at work :pac:.And with population increase the amount of psychopaths does not necessary have to increase,if anything i would say it would contract.People at the top wanting to keep power and all that....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Theres also the possibility there are aliens who are inter-dimensional.
    Maybe the druids can tell us more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

Most intelligent humans are physcopaths.

I think its safe to assume you aren't a psychopath so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

I have to disagree with that.Basing the next part on human behaviour patterns.Most intelligent humans are physcopaths.It would be pretty naive to think aliens are any different.If you know you are smarter than another race then your obviously going to treat them with a certain amount of disdain,and not see them as equals.It does not really make much sense either blowing up the planet,it would be much more benefical to treat the inhabitants as a slave race.

It's the height of arrogance to assume that because this is how you think people operate that therefore it must hold true for alien species from other worlds.

I mean we'd be talking about a species that are, in the truest sense of the word, alien. I have no idea how people can in all seriousness make claims on how they might act let alone the reasons behind why they'd act that way.

Stingerbar wrote: »
    I think its safe to assume you aren't a psychopath so :)

I noticed that when i was writing the second comment :o:o

It's the height of arrogance to assume that because this is how you think people operate that therefore it must hold true for alien species from other worlds.

My psychopathic mind wont let me think any differently ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭clever_name

IMost intelligent humans are physcopaths.I

Thanks for that quote, it means we can ignore everything you say because according to your logic you are probably either;

A. a psychopath

B. unintelligent

;)

• Advertisement

lol in that case which are you?
    Goes both ways :D

And a psychopath could give just as good advice as anyone else.

Thanks for that quote, it means we can ignore everything you say because according to your logic you are probably either;

A. a psychopath

B. unintelligent

;)

I see humor is a alien concept to you.

Torakx wrote: »
    lol in that case which are you?
    Goes both ways :D

Neither, I don't agree that to be intelligent you need to be a psychopath. Call me crazy but thats what I think :D
    Torakx wrote: »
    l
    And a psychopath could give just as good advice as anyone else.

OK, not my first choice of people to get advise from, unless it about getting rid of evidence maybe ;)

I see humor is a alien concept to you.

Ok, so was all of this a joke or just that one comment?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

If you look at how any advanced human civilizations treated 'inferior' foreign civilizations when they came into contact with them, it doesn't bode well for us.

I'm sure they would view us the same way we view insects.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

SETI is a terrible idea, we're advertising our vulnerability and technological inferiority simultaneously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Sparticle

SETI is a terrible idea, we're advertising our vulnerability and technological inferiority simultaneously.

We could turn SETI into an elaborate trap by putting the array on mercury and turning the planet into a gigantic bomb. That will show those alien fiends trying to contact us!

yekahS wrote: »
    If you look at how any advanced human civilizations treated 'inferior' foreign civilizations when they came into contact with them, it doesn't bode well for us.

I'm sure they would view us the same way we view insects.

I wonder how we would view another species from another planet that was of the same intelligence as us.
    I think it would be all out war lol

Now i wonder how we would treat an inferior species..say like animals..oh right we know how that would go...not very pretty.

To be honest if i was part of an alien race and came and saw how much of a disease we(humans) are being to this planet i would consider saving the animals lol

Noahs ark might have been aliens collecting animals for introduction to another planet,before they wipe out mankind for being such douches.
    Noah could have been an alien and the ark a ship(spaceship obviously).
    And every 2600 years they come back with Nibiru and cull back the numbers. O.o

Hmm how long ago did the mayans dissapear again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sickdullplain

Sparticle wrote: »
    We could turn SETI into an elaborate trap by putting the array on mercury and turning the planet into a gigantic bomb. That will show those alien fiends trying to contact us!

Ender?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Lefticus Loonaticus

What do you think?

If you go by much of the evidence presented by the many ufo researchers(the more credible ones and not the loopers :P) then they(aliens) are acting very deceptively - have not shown their faces and seem to want it that way. Acting in stealth without any meaningful engagment with the public ever.

If we were to encounter a more advanced race that wanted to dominate us, they would infiltrate into every level of society . They would set us up for thousands of years of human civil war by setting competing idealogies against eachother while remaining invisible themselves. Insuring that we stunt our own growth and insuring we dont get in their way anytime soon. That would be the chosen tactic, and thats how humanity kinda is :(.

Chances are, if they are there somwhere, then some of them may be responsible for us being here in the first place. I dont think they would just do us in. They would not need our resources, if they have advanced space travel then they would prob harness the power of the sun(s). The only thing we have that they would want would be our unique culture and/or to study our emotional spectrum, which is what sets us apart from every other animal on this rock and may set us apart from other civilizations if we ever meet them.

Advertisement