Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathbraughan Sligo , good to rent??

Options
  • 04-09-2011 7:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Looked at a house to rent in Rathbraughan in Sligo , nearly all sorted and was going to pay for the deposit on tuesday but thought I'd do my research about the area , I did a quick search on boards and the responses there didn't look good and were about robberies mainly , has anyone had a experience of the area and know what it is like? Also anyone know what Market close accommodation is like or any advice of where to live in Sligo as a student , thanks in advance .

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=950

Might be better to post in the Sligo thread as there is more activity there and you might get better advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Hey Mike,
    Well I haven't personally lived in Rathbraughan, I have had a few friends who have... Say out of three houses I know there one house was robbed... twice.
    Now it could have been hard luck on my friend, it could have been because they got away with it once, could have been anything! The other two houses, no problems... Take from that what you will...
    As for market close (presuming this is the same as market yard??) seems to be a nice spot, I'm hoping anyways that's where I'm going to live this year! Fair enough stroll to college but it's good to live in town...
    One place I'd warn you off is cartron, I lived there in first year, it's not close to the college and not close to town, it's annoying!
    If you're looking for closer to the college you could try Glencarrig or Brookfield, as for safety I think town is fairly good!

These are just my opinions, hope it's helped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SpencerMike

How do I change the thread to Sligo "dingding"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭bobcar61

Rathbraughan is perfectly a fine place to live as a student. It's not the nicest of housing estates in Sligo nor is it the safest but it's by far definitely not the worst. It's handy enough to the college aswell.

If your still feeling uneasy, there are loads of houses nearer to the college, check out Mulberry, Glendara, Glencarraig, Brookfield, Ashbury and Copper River.

You can get an accommodation list on the IT Sligo website via the Students Union, if this fails, check out daft.ie

How do I change the thread to Sligo "dingding"

A moderator of the forum can move it or else you can just start a new thread in the Sligo forum.

• Advertisement

Louise~ wrote: »
    Hey Mike,
    Well I haven't personally lived in Rathbraughan, I have had a few friends who have... Say out of three houses I know there one house was robbed... twice.
    Now it could have been hard luck on my friend, it could have been because they got away with it once, could have been anything! The other two houses, no problems... Take from that what you will...
    As for market close (presuming this is the same as market yard??) seems to be a nice spot, I'm hoping anyways that's where I'm going to live this year! Fair enough stroll to college but it's good to live in town...
    One place I'd warn you off is cartron, I lived there in first year, it's not close to the college and not close to town, it's annoying!
    If you're looking for closer to the college you could try Glencarrig or Brookfield, as for safety I think town is fairly good!

These are just my opinions, hope it's helped!

Hi thanks for the reply has really helped , I think at the minuet safety is the main option , the area looked nice at first view but when you hear the story's it is a real turn off , was thinking of carton but I would swap the distance for safety any day as I will be driving 2 and from Sligo IT , Market yard seems like the best option at the minuet . Hopefully will get it sorted soon as I start on the 12th lol

bobcar61 wrote: »
    Rathbraughan is perfectly a fine place to live as a student. It's not the nicest of housing estates in Sligo nor is it the safest but it's by far definitely not the worst. It's handy enough to the college aswell.

If your still feeling uneasy, there are loads of houses nearer to the college, check out Mulberry, Glendara, Glencarraig, Brookfield, Ashbury and Copper River.

You can get an accommodation list on the IT Sligo website via the Students Union, if this fails, check out daft.ie

Yeah thanks , there's a thread about Rathbraughan on boards and there is a lot of people who are really against the area , put me right off it

Looked at a house to rent in Rathbraughan in Sligo , nearly all sorted and was going to pay for the deposit on tuesday but thought I'd do my research about the area , I did a quick search on boards and the responses there didn't look good and were about robberies mainly , has anyone had a experience of the area and know what it is like? Also anyone know what Market close accommodation is like or any advice of where to live in Sligo as a student , thanks in advance .

Hi thanks for the reply has really helped , I think at the minuet safety is the main option , the area looked nice at first view but when you hear the story's it is a real turn off , was thinking of carton but I would swap the distance for safety any day as I will be driving 2 and from Sligo IT , Market yard seems like the best option at the minuet . Hopefully will get it sorted soon as I start on the 12th lol

Just remember you'll need a parking permit if your living in Market Yard. It's not always easy getting parked at the IT so sometimes it's actually easier to walk. I wouldn't rule out Rathbraughan just yet, what housing estate doesn't have some crime, especially in Sligo.

And actually, I wouldn't live in Market Yard, it has quite a bad reputation as well and has witnessed some quite serious crime over the past few years in Sligo.

Just remember you'll need a parking permit if your living in Market Yard. It's not always easy getting parked at the IT so sometimes it's actually easier to walk. I wouldn't rule out Rathbraughan just yet, what housing estate doesn't have some crime, especially in Sligo.

And actually, I wouldn't live in Market Yard, it has quite a bad reputation as well and has witnessed some quite serious crime over the past few years in Sligo.

I think the main point here is that your not going to find the perfect area to live in , is Market yard that bad tho? Where would you recommend as best in Sligo?

• Advertisement

Glad it was of help, just to let you know if you are driving the market yard permit is 50 quid as far as I know...

As others said, crime is everywhere but that doesn't mean some areas aren't safer than others, I would feel safer in town as opposed to a housing estate... This could be completely unfounded but hey, it's just my opinion!

If you are mad terrified though you could go for student accommodation with it's security and such...

Don't worry you will get it sorted, there will be notices stuck up in the college too looking for people for rooms even if you don't get it sorted straight away...

Oh and to get away from the negativity this will be my fourth year in sligo and I've never had anything crime-wise happen to me, be smart and you're fine!

I've never heard anything about market yard being dodge?? :confused:

As you said there is crime everywhere. Market Yard isn't incredibly bad, as a local I just hear the small things that happen.

I'd personally recommend living in Ballinode if your a student, any of the housing estates are fine and families live in them too. There are residents associations in them so it's not bad.

Anywhere in town is pretty much all the same so it doesn't make much of a difference where in town you are.

Louise~ wrote: »
    Glad it was of help, just to let you know if you are driving the market yard permit is 50 quid as far as I know...

As others said, crime is everywhere but that doesn't mean some areas aren't safer than others, I would feel safer in town as opposed to a housing estate... This could be completely unfounded but hey, it's just my opinion!

If you are mad terrified though you could go for student accommodation with it's security and such...

Don't worry you will get it sorted, there will be notices stuck up in the college too looking for people for rooms even if you don't get it sorted straight away...

Oh and to get away from the negativity this will be my fourth year in sligo and I've never had anything crime-wise happen to me, be smart and you're fine!

I've never heard anything about market yard being dodge?? :confused:

That parking rate is day light robbery and is that yearly?! , I'm not mad terrified I just think when unhear these stories it gets to ya , I will be leaving with 3 friends so it should be ok, the student accommodation is just so much more expensive for what you get . Thanks again 4 the reply...

As you said there is crime everywhere. Market Yard isn't incredibly bad, as a local I just hear the small things that happen.

I'd personally recommend living in Ballinode if your a student, any of the housing estates are fine and families live in them too. There are residents associations in them so it's not bad.

Anywhere in town is pretty much all the same so it doesn't make much of a difference where in town you are.

Took your advice what do you reckon?

http://www.daft.ie/searchrental.daft?id=1095550

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

The market yard is a grand spot. I live there at the moment and I was living there last year when I was in college. It's in town so handy for going out and it's only a 15 minute walk from the college. You're able to get UPC broadband there which is a big plus as they're one of the best broadband providers in the country, their speeds are great and are well priced.

Also, that parking permit is for the year so you pay it once and that's it. I think it's a standard rate for a permit any where in town.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from IT Sligo.

The market yard is a grand spot. I live there at the moment and I was living there last year when I was in college. It's in town so handy for going out and it's only a 15 minute walk from the college. You're able to get UPC broadband there which is a big plus as they're one of the best broadband providers in the country, their speeds are great and are well priced.

Also, that parking permit is for the year so you pay it once and that's it. I think it's a standard rate for a permit any where in town.

Sounds good , wouldn't mind having a look at it , thanks for your help , any areas you know to avoid in Sligo for living?

Moved from IT Sligo.

Thanks for that

Sounds good , wouldn't mind having a look at it , thanks for your help , any areas you know to avoid in Sligo for living?

There are a few areas that would have a bad name but they wouldn't be a lot worse than one of the areas that have a good name. The market yard, for example, has a bit of a bad name but I've been living there nearly two years now and had no problems. I've had friends that lived there over the years and also had no problems with it.

One word of advice would be to pick somewhere that is within walking distance to town. Otherwise you'll be spending a fortune on taxis on nights out which could be better spent on beer...eh.. books and pens and stuff. :D

There are a few areas that would have a bad name but they wouldn't be a lot worse than one of the areas that have a good name. The market yard, for example, has a bit of a bad name but I've been living there nearly two years now and had no problems. I've had friends that lived there over the years and also had no problems with it.

One word of advice would be to pick somewhere that is within walking distance to town. Otherwise you'll be spending a fortune on taxis on nights out which could be better spent on beer...eh.. books and pens and stuff. :D

Well Market yard looks nice , i guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go and try it :D and yes lots of books *cough cough* :P thanks 4 all ur help! , is the broadband free a Market yard?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

[/QUOTE
    Could you clarify that Bobcar. Crime in Sligo is no worse than any town of it's size in Ireland.

Well Market yard looks nice , i guess I'll have to bite the bullet and go and try it :D and yes lots of books *cough cough* :P thanks 4 all ur help! , is the broadband free a Market yard?

It's not a student estate, it's just a normal residential area so you have to pay for broadband.

red sean wrote: »
    [/QUOTE
    Could you clarify that Bobcar. Crime in Sligo is no worse than any town of it's size in Ireland.

Yeah I see where your coming from , Where would you recommend to live in Sligo?

It's not a student estate, it's just a normal residential area so you have to pay for broadband.

What would be the best broadband to use in Sligo?

+1 to this... That gaff in Ashbury looks nice and is really close to college but after town taxis would have to be got, which is no craic! :pac:

What would be the best broadband to use in Sligo?

UPC by far.

what housing estate doesn't have some crime, especially in Sligo.
    red sean wrote: »

I wasn't necessarily comparing Sligo to any other town in Ireland, just stating that nowhere in Sligo has a really good reputation, crime happens everywhere in Sligo. Some of the higher reputable housing estates in Sligo witness crime too.

Anyways, the OP seems relatively happy with Market Yard now. Very handy location, only a 2 minute walk to O'Connell street, couldn't really get more central than that and still only a 10/15 minute walk to the IT from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

what housing estate doesn't have some crime, especially in Sligo.

I wasn't necessarily comparing Sligo to any other town in Ireland, just stating that nowhere in Sligo has a really good reputation, crime happens everywhere in Sligo. Some of the higher reputable housing estates in Sligo witness crime too.

bobcar61, you must have a serious reason for painting such a bad and unnecessary picture of Sligo. That is what I took offence to. I have lived in many towns and cities in Ireland and find Sligo one of the safest and most pleasant places on earth.
    And the CSO crime figures for the region verify that opinion when you compare them to other places. Maybe you should do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭WANTStoWORK

At the end of the day it's your own decision to make, twenty years ago that estate was the best estate in Sligo, that was twenty years ago. now..... well it's not too great, a lot of hassle comes from that side of town, the big estate just up from Rathbraughan is a mini Limerick in itself, just be careful my friend, thats all... best of luck.

• Advertisement

Thanks everyone for the replys still unsure of what I'm doing , I'll let you know what i decide to do but this ordeal is very stressful and it shouldn't be :/

Advertisement