Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barcraft anyone?

Options
  • 04-09-2011 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭

Somewhere in dublin city, on a friday or saturday.
    I don't know any venue's, but it should be good craic if we get everyone out for some big starcraft tournament, maybe in 2 weeks for dreamhack?

Anyone got ideas for a good time to do this, i'll do the leg work going around the pubs.
    Would be good craic if loads of people booked into a hostel and made a proper night out of it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Would be awesome for the next MLG or something if someone would organise it, dunno what the crowd would be like though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'd be down for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

This would be epic - tho I dont know where it could be done. WoolShed on Parnell Street ?

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭freepower

Absolutely up for it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 Lightness

MLG is often too late i kinda feel, without trying to piss on the parade. DH is the better bet though i mean a lot of bars do have to close before 3am i believe (not 100% sure on that) so staying up but then missing the finals of MLG kinda sucks. But id be up for it for DH. Before you agree to anything make sure any bar has good internet connection and check their AV setup, nothing worse than showing up with a VGA connection and they have HDMI or vice vearsa ;) I cant think of anywhere to recommend unfortunatly. Good luck and if you pull something together id be really impressed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I'm totally up for this if it's in Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Lightness wrote: »
    MLG is often too late i kinda feel, without trying to piss on the parade. DH is the better bet though i mean a lot of bars do have to close before 3am i believe (not 100% sure on that) so staying up but then missing the finals of MLG kinda sucks. But id be up for it for DH. Before you agree to anything make sure any bar has good internet connection and check their AV setup, nothing worse than showing up with a VGA connection and they have HDMI or vice vearsa ;) I cant think of anywhere to recommend unfortunatly. Good luck and if you pull something together id be really impressed. :)

ye true, dh valencia is coming up soon, would be nice to have something for then, ireland is like top20 in gsl viewers so maybe if you put it on TL you might get a semi decent crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

Saini offered a nice solution to the 'late hours' problem.

If we all book out a hostel, and someone brings a laptop, we can all scamper back and drink in the room and watch the finals, hostels usually have wifi anyways, so that won't be an issue.

Xios wrote: »
    Saini offered a nice solution to the 'late hours' problem.

If we all book out a hostel, and someone brings a laptop, we can all scamper back and drink in the room and watch the finals, hostels usually have wifi anyways, so that won't be an issue.

Sounds feasible as long as its not too expensive, if youre going for dreamhack it isnt necessary though, might be a good idea to start with DH that way you can see what attendance is like and poll for future interest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Sitting in a hostel watching it on a laptop?

Yeah that sounds much better than watching it comfortably at home on my 27 inch monitor in HD.

I think the point of Barcraft is that they have huge screens in bars.

They usually charge a cover fee and you get 1 free drink or something, but there just isn't the numbers for it in Ireland. There's barely enough for Superbowl parties in Ireland.

• Advertisement

I'd disagree that there isnt enough people. From what ive seen. I also feel the best way to grow the community is to have events like this, just bring a few mates. The great thing about barcraft is that it can be a way to go for a few drinks with mates for the less hardcore and the hardcore fans can stay late into the night, you dont have to be there all the time and you dont have to have only starcraft fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭RichieD

Lightness wrote: »
    I'd disagree that there isnt enough people. From what ive seen. I also feel the best way to grow the community is to have events like this, just bring a few mates. The great thing about barcraft is that it can be a way to go for a few drinks with mates for the less hardcore and the hardcore fans can stay late into the night, you dont have to be there all the time and you dont have to have only starcraft fans.

I definately agree it would be great and id love to see it happen, but hostels + laptops aren't the way to go.

Need to find a sympathetic bar owner really, and with pub turnover down so much there should be at least somewhere to do it.

Just tell them you'll bring 20 people to drink all night if they show the stream on the big screen.

THEN FIND THE PEOPLE!!! :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

RichieD wrote: »
    Sitting in a hostel watching it on a laptop?

Yeah that sounds much better than watching it comfortably at home on my 27 inch monitor in HD.

I think the point of Barcraft is that they have huge screens in bars.
    I think the point of barcraft is to watch SC2 with other people, which you seem to be missing. Okay yeah, the big screens are also a factor but imo it's not the biggest one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭saini

Hostel idea would be more so after the bar kicks us out as mlg is usually on beyond bar hours so having somewhere to go at last orders to watch the end of the tourney, especially since alot of ppl who don't live in or near Dublin wont be able to get home so if we do something like that and get a few ppl then might get discounts for the hostel and we get to see the end of the tourney.

Well to be honest i agree that hostels and laptops aren't really the way to go. Its too much hassle and cost for most people i think, but i could be wrong, It may be useful for some people as saini pointed out. Depends on the crowd and interest i think.

I feel the best idea is to start with DH as it ends early enough and its possible to show some streams that werent on the main stream during breaks/later in the day if people are around then. Last DH Day[9] had the games he cast up within 2-3 hours of them being live available for stream/download.

I agree with you that dreamhack should be the first in a bar somewhere since times would suit but there has only been discussion of this for just over a week now and I was gonna help with organisation but my current situation has changed I am struggling for the time to get done what I need to get done and I know xios is busy at the moment too so dont think its viable to set up by the time dreamhack is on and mentioning hostels cause one after is a mlg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

I think the barcraft idea is awesome....the hostels idea is cr@p....
    I could try and ask around in Dublin next time I'm around there but I'm not entirely sure that I'll be successful if anyone would like me to. Partner lives up there so I flit up often enough. Can we get a poll going for who WOULD go to a barcraft so I can have a decent number to work with? And if you think that you can't go then don't say yes....as if there is a hiring fee or whatever (a tenner each, whatever) then it'd go up for those that DID go.

I'm in :D

1st of all you should aim at smaller bars who would be delighted of the business I think it is ridiculous idea needing to pay in as your gonna be most like coming in and drinking bringing business there way especially for the Dreamhack tournament which will be over before they get alot of the late customers.

Advertisement