Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Console Ban 3-9-11 (Mod Warning Post #755)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

NORTH1 wrote: »
    What do you guys make of this

Where would this guy be getting his information from? As I have said before I have paid for every bit of content on my console....

Better off hassling MS, wasting your time with those f**kin ejits on that forum. They have said its one of a few things, which you've said you haven't done. They can only take your word on that, I would have thought some of the mods there would be more impartial and not jumping down on you.

Did you ever try Major Nelson as some-one else suggested?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭NORTH1

syboit wrote: »
    Better off hassling MS, wasting your time with those f**kin ejits on that forum. They have said its one of a few things, which you've said you haven't done. They can only take your word on that, I would have thought some of the mods there would be more impartial and not jumping down on you.

Did you ever try Major Nelson as some-one else suggested?

No I've been on his tweeter but didnt think it was the place to start a flame war!

I am waiting on a reply today from the support which seems to be down today :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

dont they tell you why youve been banned on the xbox forums if you ask?

Helix wrote: »
    dont they tell you why youve been banned on the xbox forums if you ask?

No

they do you know. have you tried asking here? http://forums.xbox.com/xbox_forums/xbox_support/f/41.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Where would this guy be getting his information from? As I have said before I have paid for every bit of content on my console....

Because, despite many people claiming "unfair ban", Microsoft PET have been quite accurate about banning gamertags and consoles, and there is very little (no?) confirmed evidence of MS banning in error (Has anyone ever seen a confirmed MS ban that was shown to be an error?).

The main reason for banning consoles (up to now) is for having the DVD firmware modified to play backup games, and more recently JTAG'd xboxes which have been modified to allow unsigned code run on them.

If you are absolutely sure this hasn't happened to yours, then the next most common reason for a console ban is that gamertags that use the console have been repeatedly banned - and MS ban the console as a last resort. Again you should know if this has happened on your console.

The thing to do is make 100% sure that other people who have access to the console haven't been doing/done any of the above.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

They are elitist muppets.
    pH wrote: »
    The thing to do is make 100% sure that other people who have access to the console haven't been doing/done any of the above.

The only other people in his home who use xboxs are his kids. His son with his own and his 2 daughters share the OPs to play 1 game.

They are elitist muppets.

The only other people in his home who use xboxs are his kids. His son with his own and his 2 daughters share the OPs to play 1 game.

They also play fable and lego star wars but they have there own profiles on the machine and are not connected to live.

The son has his own console and all the content on it is legal and paid for too.

We sometimes play zombies linked which is fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Just to be clear to NORTH1 you may feel you might be getting the third degree from everyone but it is very common for someone to claim innocence and then get caught out much later on being completely in the wrong.

Some people might be unfairly short with you because of this.

Hell even on this forum we had this wonderfully long thread where someone's dad was complaining the same issues as you and then it was revealed 15 pages in that his son had hacked their 360 to cheat at COD.

So my advice is to be accurate, polite and calm. Dont take any of them personnally and focus on proving you have been wrongly banned.

The support forum seems to be down as nothing has changed over the last couple of days.

I sent a message to M Nelson asking him to look into my case I doubt there will be any success there as I had to fit the message into 160 characters.

Why are M$ not informing people of the reason of the bans?

I did a little exercise it was reported that 500000 consoles where banned in 2010 I cant confirm this number.

At 200 euro a pop that's 100 million? if very console is replaced.

As most of these consoles had already games and controllers invested into them you would find a large number would reinvest...

Now a large number of these are probable modded and deserve banning but M$ secretive way of carrying out the bans does not seem right to me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,477 ✭✭✭✭Raze_them_all

I'd have a proper talk with yer son tbh.

Willing to bet he did something and is keeping it quiet.

I'd have a proper talk with yer son tbh.

Willing to bet he did something and is keeping it quiet.

He has his own machine in his own room he has the same content I have, he kicks my ass and carries me in zombies to my shame. Im not sure what it is he could of done if did do something.

And even if he did do something what does M$ gain from keeping quite?

He has his own machine in his own room he has the same content I have, he kicks my ass and carries me in zombies to my shame. Im not sure what it is he could of done if did do something.

And even if he did do something what does M$ gain from keeping quite?
    I have my own tv and xbox, it doesn't stop me from putting my gamertag/machine on my mates xbox/ 60-something inch tv.

I have my own tv and xbox, it doesn't stop me from putting my gamertag/machine on my mates xbox/ 60-something inch tv.

Is that illegal? as the profile has been swapped over a couple times as mine has been to his machine? this isnt illegal is it?

Is that illegal? as the profile has been swapped over a couple times as mine has been to his machine? this isnt illegal is it?

no, its fine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I think what they were implying is that the alleged 'boldness' may have happened on your machine whilst another account (gamertag) was signed in via your machine.

In lay mans terms:

Your son may have done something on your machine without you realizing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

The support forum seems to be down as nothing has changed over the last couple of days.

I sent a message to M Nelson asking him to look into my case I doubt there will be any success there as I had to fit the message into 160 characters.

Why are M$ not informing people of the reason of the bans?

I did a little exercise it was reported that 500000 consoles where banned in 2010 I cant confirm this number.

At 200 euro a pop that's 100 million? if very console is replaced.

As most of these consoles had already games and controllers invested into them you would find a large number would reinvest...

Now a large number of these are probable modded and deserve banning but M$ secretive way of carrying out the bans does not seem right to me?

Ok, I've been keeping an eye on this thread and doing a little research and had a good think on this situation.

I do appreciate that you are pissed about your console being banned, as I would be in your situation, especially if I didn't know why and couldn't figure out a reason as to why.

However, firstly, I'd like to point out that MS are not banning random consoles in an effort to drum up business, that's completely ridiculous. They are not about to risk a multi-million dollar business for the sake of banning XBL memberships or consoles.

MS's enforcement of their Code of Conduct is there to protect XBL members from hackers, piracy and general copy right infrigements. Their enforcement department is there for the benefit of XBL, it's members and ultimately securing the level playing field that XBL members have come to expect.

Obviously, it's easy to target MS as the big bad guy in this but it's highly unlikely that this is part of some big conspiracy. So, there's two possible reason's left:

1. MS have made a mistake in issuing you a ban. However, MS's enforcement department research before issuing any ban, therefore they must have seen something on your account or relating to your account to justify a ban. So, if you're absolutely sure you and all your family members haven't stepped out of line, then the most likely culprit is a third party. Perhaps your account was phished, hacked and otherwsie tampered with.

2. Your console and/or various profiles on it have been tampered with by someone with access to the console.

So, in summary, it's obvious that something has occured on that console in order to have it banned. Refrain from making accusations until you can ascertain to exact reason for the console ban.

Have you been using your profile to download XBL content on to your son's console or visa versa? MS might have got confused at seeing content on two consoles but bought from one GT.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭DermotOH

Been following this thread for a while..

Quite a thread you racked up there on x360A

Hope it gets cleared up soon!

Ok, I've been keeping an eye on this thread and doing a little research and had a good think on this situation.

I do appreciate that you are pissed about your console being banned, as I would be in your situation, especially if I didn't know why and couldn't figure out a reason as to why.

However, firstly, I'd like to point out that MS are not banning random consoles in an effort to drum up business, that's completely ridiculous. They are not about to risk a multi-million dollar business for the sake of banning XBL memberships or consoles.

MS's enforcement of their Code of Conduct is there to protect XBL members from hackers, piracy and general copy right infrigements. Their enforcement department is there for the benefit of XBL, it's members and ultimately securing the level playing field that XBL members have come to expect.

Obviously, it's easy to target MS as the big bad guy in this but it's highly unlikely that this is part of some big conspiracy. So, there's two possible reason's left:

1. MS have made a mistake in issuing you a ban. However, MS's enforcement department research before issuing any ban, therefore they must have seen something on your account or relating to your account to justify a ban. So, if you're absolutely sure you and all your family members haven't stepped out of line, then the most likely culprit is a third party. Perhaps your account was phished, hacked and otherwsie tampered with.

2. Your console and/or various profiles on it have been tampered with by someone with access to the console.

So, in summary, it's obvious that something has occured on that console in order to have it banned. Refrain from making accusations until you can ascertain to exact reason for the console ban.

Have you been using your profile to download XBL content on to your son's console or visa versa? MS might have got confused at seeing content on two consoles but bought from one GT.

My monies on this being a real possibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

Ghandee wrote: »

I think so too.

• Advertisement

This goes on all the time and is not likely to cause a ban. There's a major banwave going on at the moment for "Marketplace theft" - unless you modified your profile and made your DLC/XBLA available on the net then this can't be the cause.

North:

I've no idea how old the children in your house are - is there anyway they could have paid to have the console modded or done it themselves. As new games reflash the DVD drive when doing a dash update - it may not even be possible to check now if the drive was flashed. However modified drives are by far the no 1 reason for console bans on xbox live - you could see if someone you know has a copied game and see if it plays in your box - but as I said above even if it doesn't play the drive could have been flashed in the past.

The other main reason for console bans is someone from that console doing "Online fraud": Attempting to social engineer users, take over Xbox LIVE accounts, or other fraudulent activities.

However it's probable that if your console had been used for that the gamertags involved would also have been banned - the same for the other main reason for banning - multiple gamertags using the console being banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Ghandee wrote: »

That's not the reason. Only the Gamertag with the license could use it on one of the machines anyway.

They'd see that the IP Address history is consistent.

The most likely possibility is that someone using that console did something severe enough to warrant a console ban.

The way the member of the Policy Enforcement Team responded is disgraceful, but they have no involvement in console bans, only account suspensions and bans.

That's not the reason. Only the Gamertag with the license could use it on one of the machines anyway.

They'd see that the IP Address history is consistent.

The most likely possibility is that someone using that console did something severe enough to warrant a console ban.

The way the member of the Policy Enforcement Team responded is disgraceful, but they have no involvement in console bans, only account suspensions and bans.
    False, I know of somebody who had their gt on my old xbox and played a game he doesn't have

Before we go down this avenue, Xbox live downloaded content is playable:

By all gamertags on the console it was first downloaded on (online and offline)
    AND
    By the gamertag that purchased it on *any* console (but online only)

Yes it's possible to "game" this system with close friends/family members - I buy all my content on my brother's console (and vice versa), these are microsoft's rules - have been for years - and no one gets their console banned for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Looks like there's some official word on the recent banwave which may be of interest to you OP.

MS issues bans for XBL Marketplace Theft

gizmo wrote: »
    Looks like there's some official word on the recent banwave which may be of interest to you OP.

MS issues bans for XBL Marketplace Theft

OP says his account is active, but the console itself is banned.
    All getting rather confusing.

Am watching this thread closely to find out MS's reason for the ban.

Ok I have a concern following the other sites, I haveing bought the zombies map pack for both consoles my son recovered his profile to the console in the front room to play on the hd screen. he played zombies moon and some of the older maps.

This can't be against the T&C as the content is already on both consoles, and both consoles are on the one network?

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Ok I have a concern following the other sites, I haveing bought the zombies map pack for both consoles my son recovered his profile to the console in the front room to play on the hd screen. he played zombies moon and some of the older maps.

This can't be against the T&C as the content is already on both consoles, and both consoles are on the one network?

What do you think?
    If both accounts had purchased the content then it should be fine.

What's interesting now is that your son was playing on your console with his gamertag. Are you 100% sure all of the content associated with his gamertag was purchased legitimately? I know you said you bought him the zombie pack with your credit card here but it could have been some other content he gained access to previously using "other" means.

This did cross my mind the only content he has on his machine has been bought by me and relates to BO.

Profiles don't cross over often as the machine in the front room does not get used often due to others watching tv. Oh and other thing I forgot the console also has connect on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Seems to be a big blow out accross a lot of gaming sites about mass bans taking place. Seems like MS are not saying exactly what was done other than content was downloaded from live illegally and they have solid proof of each occurence.

I'd advise checking what was downloaded recently such as avatar items etc.

Seems like MS may not be giving much details as to not encourage would be theifs from trying to exploit the loophole or something similar tbh but from what I can see they are very confident that they have a paper trail which I am not suprised seeing as every single interaction per console / acc will be logged as standard. I can assume they have a few examples of the irregular transaction and simply searched all gamertags for any idential transactions swiftly followed up by bans.

I wouldnt hold hope for an individual response but keep an eye on the likes of kotaku for MS official detailed response which I am sure they will release eventually outlining the details in more depth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement