Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'This is Anglo so there is only one thing to do – party!'

Options
  • 03-09-2011 2:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭

Now sometimes it is arguable that there is too much of a tendency to react indignantly or with shock to controversies surrounding the banking crisis, but this one should generate a suitably enormous facepalm.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/frontpage/2011/0903/1224303430888.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed
    On September 5th, 2008 – just three weeks before the government introduced the bank guarantee to save Anglo from collapse in the first instance – the bank spent €80,000 on a party for about 600 staff, at the Mansion House in Dublin.
    The cost excluded accommodation in hotels for staff who travelled from the bank’s regional offices for the party. The drinks bill alone on the night amounted to €24,000 and staff were entertained by a live band.

Mr Drumm invited staff to the party in an e-mail the previous July: “Dear colleague, the stock markets are down. They say the economy is in recession. It rained most of the ‘summer’. The holidays are over. This is Anglo so there is only one thing to do – party!”
    While the bank’s financial position was becoming more precarious in December 2008, the bank spent €175,000 on a Christmas party for staff, again at the Mansion House.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I hope the fucker gets a lifelong disease which irritates but doesn't kill or shorten life expectancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Redlion

None of the scandals that have been revealed about the past ten years are actually shocking anymore. It's a sad day when things like this have become so normal. I honestly hope something more than a lot of tutting and sighing is done about this matter. Even, if it's just this once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I hope the fucker gets a lifelong disease which irritates but doesn't kill or shorten life expectancy.

Would daily diarrhoea shorten life expectancy? I want him to have that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Severe forms of trichinosis: infestation with the trichinella parasite which burrows into the muscle tissue, can cause itching, burning skin, diarrhoea, and nausea. The trichinella can be weakened with medication, but there is no way of ridding them from under your skin.

Excellent choice Sir ^^.

• Advertisement

On a serious note though we've got to stop this no consequences 'capitalism'. People should not be allowed to walk away from the ashes of a corporation as a wealthy person.

If people were able to be pursued for every penny they have then they wouldn't make such catastrophic errors (or at least they would pay dearly when they do).

I say do away with limited liability and stop allowing people to form fictional entities called 'corporations'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

The sad thing is, he has been named and shamed.

There are probably hundreds more like him, they are most likely publicly scorning Drumm right now.

We live in a country/world in which the weasel is king.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

I just happened to be watching this last night.. skip to approx 3:45, there is an interview with a developer by the name of Simon Kelly, who has debts of €143 million. I have read a bit more about him since seeing this documentary and he has written a book attacking the snob culture of South County Dublin and Ballsbridge in particular, blaming it for fuelling the proerty price bubble in Dublin:

"Ballsbridge is nice, and close to town, but beyond that it was just an address. The downside for me, growing up there, was the people, who seemed to think they were better than everybody else. But as a developer I was happy to feed that myth.” Foxrock gets it in the neck, too, as a place “with an overall air of artificiality . . . perfect homes for plastic people”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

This is a banana republic folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

Redlion wrote: »
    None of the scandals that have been revealed about the past ten years are actually shocking anymore. It's a sad day when things like this have become so normal. I honestly hope something more than a lot of tutting and sighing is done about this matter. Even, if it's just this once.

Personally I'm the opposite. Quite simply I do not want to be played for a fool and all the revelations outrages me.

And they said that we all partied with the banks. We fcuking hell did not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,025 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Mr Scumm invited staff to the party in an e-mail the previous July: “Dear coked up money driven whores, the stock markets are down. They say the economy is in recession. It rained most of the ‘summer’. The holidays are over. This is Anglo so there is only one thing to do – destroy the lives of the next three generations of Irish people!”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Far be it from me to defend ANYTHING related to Anglo, but approx €120 per person isn't a lot.

The issue is that they were inexplicably given a bailout by FF, and what they've done SINCE then now that we're all involuntary and unwilling owners of the cesspit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

You mean a mortgage?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Mr Scumm invited staff to the party in an e-mail the previous July: “Dear coked up money driven whores, the stock markets are down. They say the economy is in recession. It rained most of the ‘summer’. The holidays are over. This is Anglo so there is only one thing to do – destroy the lives of the next three generations of Irish people!”

I know staff who worked there. They were honest hard-working folk. One was told by a customer that they'd put a bullet in their head if they had a gun. They said it twice. Another literally stalked a manager.

You like so many have no clue as to how much sh1t the regular staff in Anglo took, all because of a select few who abused their positions or misjudged the future of banking.

I've worked in several banks over the years and they all spent big to retain staff and clients. Remember, banking was the sturdiest business in the land. I don't condone the actions of the few...but lay-off the ignorant insults unless you worked there yourself?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    Far be it from me to defend ANYTHING related to Anglo, but approx €120 per person isn't a lot.

The issue is that they were inexplicably given a bailout by FF, and what they've done SINCE then now that we're all involuntary and unwilling owners of the cesspit.

Liam, I'm going to argue with you.

Anlgo was going down and they knew it. If a private company was failing there wouldn't be any parties. Like for the past couple of years I know some companies cancelled xmas parties probably trying their best to stay afloat.

I know staff who worked there. They were honest hard-working folk. One was told by a customer that they'd put a bullet in their head if they had a gun. They said it twice. Another literally stalked a manager.

You like so many have no clue as to how much sh1t the regular staff in Anglo took, all because of a select few who abused their positions or misjudged the future of banking.

I've worked in several banks over the years and they all spent big to retain staff and clients. Remember, banking was the sturdiest business in the land. I don't condone the actions of the few...but lay-off the ignorant insults unless you worked there yourself?

I didn't read any insults from Sept 23 and he/she wrote it exactly as it is Anglo destroyed our country and brought it down and stole from the generations to come. They gambled big time with property developers and when it went tits up, they got into bed with our government and threw us their bad deals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

Liam Byrne wrote: »

+1. I still don't see any arrests or sentences being handed out over at ''Club Anglo'' either. FG/FF bailed Anglo in recession knowing their debts were enough to cripple the economy. This party invite helps prove that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Drumm= best.boss.EVER!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

pmcmahon wrote: »
    Drumm= best.boss.EVER!

anagram of 'best boss ever' = Observes Bets

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

anagram of 'best boss ever' = Observes Bets

to the lourve!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,577 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

My poor wee grand-children will be paying for that Drumm lads party for their entire lives too. Shame on Anglo and Fianna Fail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭7sr2z3fely84g5

To sum it up perfectly-

The band played on whilst FF+Bankers+developers jumped the celtic tiger ship for their pensions/payoff lifeboats as it hit the debt iceberg leaving the poor taxpayers to sink and drown in the debt waters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

To sum it up perfectly-

The band played on whilst FF+Bankers+developers jumped the celtic tiger ship for their pensions/payoff lifeboats as it hit the debt iceberg leaving the poor taxpayers to sink and drown in the debt waters.

Titanic 2, starring Bertie Ahern and the cast of Anglo Irish Bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

I now a member of staff there who took his own life,leaving behind children and a wife after being regularly abused by members of the public..an ordinary hard working man ..not one of the select few who did indeed abuse their positions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 67 ✭✭ilikepears

A friend currently works with two women who worked for Anglo. One is a manager now (don't know if she was in Anglo) and they both hold the attitude that it wasn't anything to do with them. It was all the upper managements fault. Which it was. I wonder if the above people who were threatened were men because I think people would think twice before threatening a women (that's just a inkling I have, obviously I may be wrong).

It is sickening that this much was spent on staff entertainment. Anglo seem to be a very extravagant bank. One example is that in AIB if you need a pen you have to go to the stockroom and sign for it where as in Anglo you could go into the stockroom and take as many items as you wanted, there was no monitoring of it. Its just a small thing but shows their overall attitude.

Do you know what it really translates to:
    Mr Scumm invited staff to the party in an e-mail the previous July: “Dear coked up money driven whores, we fcuked up, we're going down but we're going to be saved. This is Anglo so there is only one thing to do - lets party!

That bank guarantee with anglo included was planned way before sept 28th 2008.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

F**k them all.
    The real hard and honest working people of Ireland are gonna be caught by the nuts for years to come and you expect me to feel pity for the cnuts who worked in Anglo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

ilovesleep wrote: »
    Liam, I'm going to argue with you.

Anlgo was going down and they knew it. If a private company was failing there wouldn't be any parties. Like for the past couple of years I know some companies cancelled xmas parties probably trying their best to stay afloat.

Agreed. Anglo was run unbelieveably irresponsibly and ridiculously, and did the exact opposite to what most proper companies would have done.

But that's their own business, and should have remained that way. If they went bust, then f**k em.....

FF dictated otherwise.

If any other private enterprise drove itself to bankruptcy through stupidity, then we'd hardly bother commenting, unfortunately the pricks in FF ensured that their millstone was tied around our necks for the next 3 or 4 decades.

If FF hadn't been so implicit and idiotic, the demise of Anglo would have been just another bunch of greedy, incompetent failed idiots making s**t of their business.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Show Time wrote: »
    F**k them all.
    The real hard and honest working people of Ireland are gonna be caught by the nuts for years to come and you expect me to feel pity for the cnuts who worked in Anglo.
    Add aib boi ebs to that list.

Blood sucking bastards!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Gator

later10 wrote: »
    Severe forms of trichinosis: infestation with the trichinella parasite which burrows into the muscle tissue, can cause itching, burning skin, diarrhoea, and nausea. The trichinella can be weakened with medication, but there is no way of ridding them from under your skin.

Brilliant

Advertisement