Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westwood Gyms Membership Prices

Options
  • 02-09-2011 8:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hey All,

I know this topic has been discussed before but I cant find anything recent. I want to join as its the closest gym to where Ive just moved to BUT Im really suspicious about their pricing.

They have no prices on the website and when I rang the 3 different places (to see if I could get any info from them) one mentioned a joining fee which the other 2 places never mentioned. One location said DD prices for a student ranged from 40-75 depending on the facilities I wanted to use, whereas the other 2 locations said the cheapest was 55. The also said that theres no difference in price if you pay the annual membership up front or pay by direct debit which seemed a bit strange.

Is anyone a member at any location or does anyone have any info on prices?

Thanks all :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

Hiya, I just joined up myself there. Their joining fee varies depending on who you get and what special offers they have running. My joining fee was 100euro, and then I pay 75 per month by direct debit. If you are a student its 55euro per month, and the same if you only want to use the gym 6am-4pm Monday to Friday and after 4pm Weekends. Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Ah the super duper, about to expire, never to be repeated again, once in a lifetime special offer on the joining fee ;)

There is always a special offer on and even if there isn't it's well possible to haggle it down.
    I never managed to haggle it off but when I was there it was 100euro also

So OP, ignore them when they tell you they have an offer just that week. There will be a new one next week
    If you're not a student and not settling for off peak, it's 75 per month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tidygirl

Thanks for that guys! Least I'm a bit clearer on the price anyway! Tho I duno how they can justify a 100 joining fee, such a load of crap! The membership costs enough as it is!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dumbbell

i joined in april. they wanted 500 ENTERANCE fee.. i lsughed in his face.. and wanted 75 a month for any time use .. there was an off peak time of 55 a month.
    after a wee chat i
    apparently i bought someones old membership for 75 enterance fee and 75 a month direct debit. i do alot if spin and body pump classes and feel the price is good as its very clean and never waiting to use equipment.

best of luck :):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Tidygirl

dumbbell wrote: »
    i joined in april. they wanted 500 ENTERANCE fee..

Hey Dumbbell,
    Is that the clontarf gym? When I rang them they said joining fee was 500 also, I actually thought your man was takin the mick to be honest!! I rang all 3 locations to see what they would say. One said if you join and pay for the year in full you don't pay a joining fee and get an extra 3 months free. Think I'll be going for that one!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

i had no joining fee and paying 55 a month. i got this deal when they had the offer when total fitness shut down and the fact that im a student.
    i think its well worth the price, your hardly ever waiting for equipment unless its at 5-7 when everyone comes in from work and its always very clean.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭dumbbell

@ tidygirl. i was told i couldnt pay the years membership in one go. i dunno why and didnt question it. its a great gym but not worth the 500 enterance some ppl seemed to have paid. 75 is pushing it but if you do the classes which are normal 15 per one in other places it makes it sound not so bad in my opinon =0)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Joined recently too - I paid 98 up front and 75€ a month -

They wanted 500€ too upfront but I'm sure if you tell them it's too expensive they'll find some special offer to reduce it.

I'm really sorry I didnt see if the 75€ can come down cause its pretty expensive - 900€ a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

They sent me a letter last week with a cheque for 425. This was a once off offer to reduce my one-off membership fee to €75 and it would be €75 a month afterwards.

I say they probably do it because people join, give up after a month and cancel direct debit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

They sent me a letter last week with a cheque for 425. This was a once off offer to reduce my one-off membership fee to €75 and it would be €75 a month afterwards.

I say they probably do it because people join, give up after a month and cancel direct debit.

Wait... are you a member there already?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Hanley wrote: »

Wait... are you a member there already?

I was a member years ago. It was one of those winback letters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I've been a member there for over 2 years having previously been a member of other gyms in the city center. There's no budging on the €75/month full peak membership or €55/month off peak/student membership (I tried negotiating with them on a couple of occasions). The only offer you can avail off is to pay the year's membership of €900 upfront for which you get 15 months membership which is equivalent to €60/month.
    Regarding the entry fee they claim their standard entry fee is €500 but I doubt many if any pay that. They always have some sort of offer to entice new members but you'll never get it for nothing as I believe it prevents people joining for the winter months and then cancelling over the summer when they're unlikely to use it as much.
    As a gym I find it good and never ridiculously overcrowded during peak times which the other gyms I was a member of used to be (main cause for leaving). It's well equipped with a good range of classes and machines although the free weights section in Clontarf could do with more olympic bars and disk weights of varying sizes. The swimming pools and spa areas are good and the sea water hydrotheraphy pools in Sandymount are nice. There also is the option of climbing walls and tennis courts and squash courts in the Leopardstown centre.
    I mostly frequent the Clontarf gym and although it's a bit out of my way and a bit of a commute I find it a better option to the other city centre gyms I was previously a member off even though they were more convenient and cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Damien Geoghegan

hi
    i got a letter in the door today from Westwood with a cheque for 402euro , I was a little confused as i'm not a member and never was, when i rang up the person said it was off the joiners fee and that all i have to pay is 97euro. but im unsure about this, is that 97euro for a year or what could someone help me :P thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

hi
    i got a letter in the door today from Westwood with a cheque for 402euro , I was a little confused as i'm not a member and never was, when i rang up the person said it was off the joiners fee and that all i have to pay is 97euro. but im unsure about this, is that 97euro for a year or what could someone help me :P thanks

Maybe ring back and ask what they're offering you.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭david-d

hi

no thats just a fee to join the "club" for use of the gym pool etc theres a monthly premium think its €55 off peak (6am-4pm) or €75 peak anytime any day.

Thats a rough guide to prices and times ring them to confirm as they dont advertise there rate on the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

I would definitely look elsewhere- always found them difficult to deal with when I was a member- cancelling was a disaster and it's also very overpriced.

Much better value out there

Advertisement