Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

GT TDI insurance help!!

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Sobanek wrote: »
    When I was 16 and didn't have my learner's permit (or the full licence), I had to wake up at 6:30, leave the house at 7:20 and was in school at 8:20. Classes start at 9:00. I left the school at 3:50 and was home at around 6:20.

When I got my full licence, I woke up at 7:00, left the house at 8:00 and was in school at 8:55. I left the school at 3:50 and was home at 4:40 most of the times.

I had more time to study, do my homework and I actually had a social life.
    It's very convenient to have a car, trust me on that.

It's pointless though if it's a 15 minute walk to the college / school.

And your point is?

Nobody's denying it's convenient, but it's not a necessity.

By the way, thousands of people have 12 hour days commuting/working, for years on end, and have no choice but to accept it. Don't think you were, in any way, hard done by.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

Whats wrong with choosing the car over living near the college?

Nothing wrong.

(Nothing wrong with living near the college, either)

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭C4Kid

Sobanek wrote: »
    It's pointless though if it's a 15 minute walk to the college / school.

I've to do that just to get from where I park to the college, that way it's an inconvenience.

If you want a golf and you want it to be feasible, get one with a smaller engine.

Gophur wrote: »
    Nothing wrong.

(Nothing wrong with living near the college, either)

Agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭barura

Clutchkick wrote: »
    Im 18 with a prev liecence that ive had for 6 months,ive been lookn at golf mkiv gt tdi's for a while now but have only just managed to get around my parents because i need a car for college.

If you have had your licence for 6 months, go get your full licence. Then get the car. I've said it before and I'll say it again though; you just need to do the speed limit in the bloody thing! So think about getting another car that is reasonable to insure like the 1.6 Golf. If you still want a GTI "feel" go to a breakers and find any which have been crashed and grab the interior etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

A friend of mine travels from Thurles to UL and back everyday because it works out cheaper than staying.

OP Don't bother with a "GT TDI", depending on how far away you live suffer on with a 90bhp TDI or a 1.4 petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Ive never heard of anyone being prosecuted for being the named driver and crashing/being found to be the main driver however I have seen claims being rejected,policies being cancelled for non disclosure etc.This stays with you for at least 5 years so trying to save a few quid now by being dishonest can end up causing a huge amount of hassle should the worst,ie a crash,happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

1.3 Corolla FTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Just get a 1.4 or 1.6 golf and change the badges......nobody will ever know:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Marcusm wrote: »
    MugMugs wrote: »
    It's not illegal. It's a non disclosure issue. That said, if he acts as a named driver and is supervised while driving as a named driver, I can't see the issue. :)

It is unlawful, results in an offence under section 64 Road Traffic Act, obtaining insurance through providing information knowing it to be false. Up to 6 months in chokey, iirc.

Eh, so all named drivers out there being supervised while driving (assuming that his intention) are obtaining insurance by deception? No, they are driving as named drivers.

Yeah - we all know what happens then Henry. :D. Can't multi quote as on phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

MugMugs wrote: »
    Eh, so all named drivers out there being supervised while driving (assuming that his intention) are obtaining insurance by deception? No, they are driving as named drivers.

Yeah - we all know what happens then Henry. :D. Can't multi quote as on phone.

Maybe I'm being too subtle. The OP has made no reference to his father ever driving the car and thus as proposer he would be supplying false information as he would not be the main driver, perhaps never a driver with respect o this car at all. In order to legitimately benefit, it would have to be shown that the proposer was the main driver and he named driver or additional assured to be subordinate in his use of the car. This is leaving asdeentirely that the OP proposes to drive unaccompanied while he is not a licensed driver which might be of relevance in the event of a claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

powerful...yeah right:rolleyes::pac:
    Well the OP has not proved that he is competent to pass a test in a Micra, yet he thinks he can drive a yoke like this without a qualified driver beside him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

oldyouth wrote: »
    Well the OP has not proved that he is competent to pass a test in a Micra, yet he thinks he can drive a yoke like this without a qualified driver beside him

Jaysus, it's only a Golf!

ottostreet wrote: »
    Jaysus, it's only a Golf!

Jaysus, it's only the law of the land that applies to everyone but me

oldyouth wrote: »
    Jaysus, it's only the law of the land that applies to everyone but me

Insurance companies are a law unto themselves though. It is not 'law' that is preventing the OP from insuring his chosen car, it is a private company.

The law allows OP to drive that car, but the law also requires OP to have a qualified driver beside him. We all know it isn't going to happen.

Insurance companies cannot facilitate a deliberate illegal act

• Registered Users Posts: 22 mantaman

Neilw wrote: »
    Insure the car as what it really is, golf tdi highline/trendline 130bhp or what ever it is (no such thing as a gt tdi ;)). The info will be on the data sticker in the boot along with the engine power in kw.

pretty sure that you could get a gt tdi also.

To the op, stick with a lower powered car, cheaper and lets face it, if you are going to be driving un-accompanied, you don't need to be attracting the attention of the gardai.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

ottostreet wrote: »
    Insurance companies are a law unto themselves though. It is not 'law' that is preventing the OP from insuring his chosen car, it is a private company.

That grainy stuff around yer ears,pull yer head out of it as you could well smother.

That grainy stuff around yer ears,pull yer head out of it as you could well smother.

Please explain..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

mantaman wrote: »
    pretty sure that you could get a gt tdi also.

To the op, stick with a lower powered car, cheaper and lets face it, if you are going to be driving un-accompanied, you don't need to be attracting the attention of the gardai.

Unless it's an imported car it's not a gt tdi. The first place to start is to talk to a broker about getting insured in a golf tdi

• Advertisement
Advertisement